Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote switch will not open rear hatch - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006 | 02:10 AM
Joncadder
Track Day

Default Remote switch will not open rear hatch - HELP!

Hello all,

Newbie here. I just bought my 1987 944 NA a couple months ago and love it to death. Except for a few minor items, it has given me no trouble at all and I am now just chasing down a few gremlins.

Today's problem: the remote hatch switch will not open the hatch. The motor does not turn at all. There is clearance around the actuator. I have replaced the hatch release motor, and verified that there is voltage at the switch. (Yes, I verified this via the dumbass method: I slipped my paper clip and crossed the + and ground posts on the back of the switch. Result: a spark and a new fuse.) The hatch pins are the correct lengths and, after liberal greasing, now work smoothly and with little strain on the key. I checked the fuse and it is good.

I tried opening both doors, but the remote switch still will not work. The interior lights come on and the cigarette lighter works.

I have checked the threads here and they all seem to address mal-adjusted release pins and rattles but not the remote switch.

What else could it be? Has anyone else had this problem? The car is in such good shape, I hate to have something like this not working.

Thanks!

Jon

Last edited by Joncadder; 01-08-2006 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Tried a suggested fix
Old 01-08-2006 | 03:41 AM
sm
Drifting

It's likely that the contacts inside your remote switch are worn and not completing the circuit when you depress the switch. Get another used switch, off eBay or the like, and you should be good.

Same thing happened to me.
Old 01-08-2006 | 12:47 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Have you checked for power at the motor? Could be something bad back there, 2 bad motors however unlikely is not unheard of.
Old 01-08-2006 | 04:54 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

I had a bunch of trouble with the connector at the motor working itself loose - I rigged I few tie wraps to hold it in place. In the Factory Service Manual there is a way to jumper the motor on constantly for adjustment etc. (unplug the harness, connect the BR/W wire on the harness to the BR wire on the harness, connect the R wire on the harness to the BL wire on the motor connector - the BL wire is where the R/W wire from the harness used to go (it's hard to see the BL)). That might help you troubleshoot.
Old 01-08-2006 | 06:26 PM
Bluesky4x4
Instructor

First and foremost, go to Autozone and get a wire tester!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I haven't looked at the wiring on mine yet, but when I test wiper motors, fans, lock actuators etc, I always start by jump wiring the motor directly with a 12volt source. If it is a two wire motor, it's easier to test as you have ground and positive. Anyhow, just see if the motor work first, then trace it back to the switch. You can test any given switch with an ohm meter (another inexpensive life saving tool). User your neew wire tester to see which wire is hot going to the switch. Pull the switch, put your red lead from the multimeter on the power side of the switch, put your other lead on the other side and if you have an ohm reading when you depress the switch, the switch is most likely good.
Old 01-08-2006 | 11:20 PM
Joncadder
Track Day

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the help. I will try these fixes out!

Jon
Old 01-09-2006 | 11:01 AM
MoeJoe
Instructor

Just a quick note. You may find that even after you get the latch motor working the hatch still won't open. I believe that Porche gave up on the design (couldn't get it to work 100%).

Quick Reply: Remote switch will not open rear hatch - HELP!