Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DE Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Alpine951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neil is correct regarding the new head gear for Northeast region 2006. I too have to upgrade. www.helmetcity.com.

Another 2006 NER PCA rule change is that 5 and 6 point harness can only be used with a proper race seat. www.porschenet.com
Old 01-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The NNJR PCA Region allows the use of M-rated helmets. But you can no longer use M95 or SA95 helmets starting in 2006.

SA-rated helmets, as already mentioned, do go through various additional tests, since the potential impacts in a car is different than on a motorcycle. If you already have an M-rated helmet because you ride, you can use it in DE (at least in NNJR). But if you are getting a new helmet for strickly DE, then it is prudent to get an SA-rated unit.

I use a G-Force Hybrid helmet, and have been very happy with it - it is lightweight and comfortable on my head. It is slightly less expensive than the 'big name brand' helmets.

Just my $0.42,
-Zoltan.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:35 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by xsboost90
i think the deal w/ the sa and m is the way they are built- impact rather than sliding on the ground from a motorcycle-
This is a popular myth.

There are and have been many helmets available in both M and SA. Same shell, only the liner is different. I doubt you would find different construction for each, at least until you get into $1,000+ helmets, if even then.

The difference between M and SA:

SA requires fire resistant liner

SA allows a narrower eye port

SA require a 3rd anvil test - all other tests are the same
Old 01-06-2006, 08:42 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by GlenL
A G-Force is the lower line from Bell so it's a pretty nice helmet. Usually ~$250 new. At least as nice and safe as an RCI.

The funny thing about this talk of spending money on a helmet is that it's not where to put it after the initial, entry-level helmet. Much better to get a race seat and 5-point harness installed. Then add HANS and fire-proof clothing.

I used to have an open-face M helmet. I'm way too good looking to not have a full-face model.
G-Force is not the lower line from Bell. That would be Pyrotect.

I have owned 3 Bells, a Simpson, and now a G-Force and I would take the G-Force over my Bells any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I would NEVER buy a Simpson again.

While G-Force is value priced the quality is quite high. On top of that, all G-Force SA helmets are Kevlar helmets (actually Kevlar/Fiberglass, but all the so-called Kevlar helmets are Kevlar/Fiberglass or some other cheaper mat).
Old 01-06-2006, 09:09 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SA standard requires flammability test. They actually test the shell (paint), liner, padding, chin strap, and visor.

SA allows narrower field of vision. Some SA helmets are not legal for street (motorcycle) use.

SA has rollbar impact test.

Info. from www.smf.com. A lot of good technical helmet information there.

G-Force claims the SA adds not only a thicker shield, but also the use of flame retardant paint, trim, retention strap, and interior. www.racerwholesale.com has good prices on G-Force helmets.

I hear lots of talk about "not skimping on a helmet". Is there any data that proves that price is an indication of "safeness" when it comes to helmets? Is a $800 helmet any safer than a $150 helmet? Seems to me that if it has the appropriate Snell rating, fits well, and is comfortable, price shouldn't be a factor. I think fit and comfort are the most important aspects of choosing a helmet.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:39 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

Geo, what is your beef with Simpson? You aren't a DE (Dale Earnhardt) fan, are you? (j/k)

I've had 4 and never had a problem, they are always comfortable. I've never tested one in any sort of impact, though..

Last edited by 944Fest (aka Dan P); 01-07-2006 at 09:46 PM. Reason: clarify DE
Old 01-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Geo

I have owned 3 Bells, a Simpson, and now a G-Force and I would take the G-Force over my Bells any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I would NEVER buy a Simpson again.

While G-Force is value priced the quality is quite high. On top of that, all G-Force SA helmets are Kevlar helmets (actually Kevlar/Fiberglass, but all the so-called Kevlar helmets are Kevlar/Fiberglass or some other cheaper mat).
I too have been wanting to get a G-Force helmet mostly because of the weight/price advantage. I spoke to the sales manager at G-Force but I still have not been able to find a shop that carries this make in Canada. I will have to make a trip down south to try one on. Check out this paint scheme for only $279:

http://www.gforce.com/products/helme...force1gpx.html

Unfortunately, none of the g-Force helmets are compatible with the Hans Device but thats not a show stopper for me.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:09 AM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
Correct.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by shiners780
SA has rollbar impact test.
This is the addition of the third anvil.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:03 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mark Lue
Unfortunately, none of the g-Force helmets are compatible with the Hans Device...
They aren't?
Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2006, 02:09 AM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Originally Posted by Geo
They aren't?
Geo, I had asked that question of Jeremy Speich at G-Force and he Replied "No, none of our G-FORCE Racing Gear helmets are usable with the HANS device". This is what has been conveyed to me but as I can see this is NOT the case for your Helmet.

I will ask for a clarification, can I use your picture as a point of discussion? I'll understand if you don't want to, I just won't use it.

Sorry to All, I don't wish to hijack this thread... it's just that several members on the thread are using or intend to use G-Force helmets and this maybe relivant.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:29 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I am putting together an online store at the moment, I will be selling helmets. I am trying to get a hold of John D to Sponsor rennlist at the launch of my website soon. As soon as I get a hold of John, and become a sponsor, I'll be able to help you guys out with helmets and some good prices.
Eyal
Old 01-08-2006, 11:54 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mark Lue
Geo, I had asked that question of Jeremy Speich at G-Force and he Replied "No, none of our G-FORCE Racing Gear helmets are usable with the HANS device". This is what has been conveyed to me but as I can see this is NOT the case for your Helmet.

I will ask for a clarification, can I use your picture as a point of discussion? I'll understand if you don't want to, I just won't use it.

Sorry to All, I don't wish to hijack this thread... it's just that several members on the thread are using or intend to use G-Force helmets and this maybe relivant.
OK, what you got was the lawyer approved answer.

G-Force does not make helmets with the Hans attachment bosses built in. Actually, very few helmet companies do. Most of the "professional" helmets aren't pre-prepared for HANS attachment.

Furthermore, G-Force sells their own H&N restraint which is rather less effective than the HANS. They do however set their helmets up for installation of their own H&N restraint.

I didn't think twice about attaching the HANS to my helmet, nor would I in the future.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:32 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Smile

Originally Posted by Geo
OK, what you got was the lawyer approved answer.

G-Force does not make helmets with the Hans attachment bosses built in. Actually, very few helmet companies do. Most of the "professional" helmets aren't pre-prepared for HANS attachment.

Furthermore, G-Force sells their own H&N restraint which is rather less effective than the HANS. They do however set their helmets up for installation of their own H&N restraint.

I didn't think twice about attaching the HANS to my helmet, nor would I in the future.
Thanks Geaorge, "Lawyer approved answer" eh! If thats the case, I don't suspect that I will get a better answer out on them.

Anyway the HANS Device is not a show stopper for me but I'd like to try before I buy. A "square head" in a round helmet if you will!
Old 01-08-2006, 12:39 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have G-Force Pro Force. I got it from OG racing for $250 for a SA2005. I have a HANS attached to it. I had Bell hybrid SA95, but it got old and I got tired of the crap coming in through the eye port.

So the face shield on my G-Force does the trick. BTW.. get a Balaclava. If for no other reason that to hold the sweat from your head. It does wonders to keep the helmet interior a bit nicer. Do try the helmet with the balaclava on as it may require a slightly larger size helmet to be comfortable.

Quick Reply: DE Helmets