Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights don't go up, nor light up - help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Headlights don't go up, nor light up - help!

I hope an electrical expert reads it...

I have an intermittent problem: the headlights don't shine and they don't move up/down. Where should I start testing? I'm looking at the schematics, and can't find a common point for these two circuits.
All other lights seem to work OK, except for the left front blinker is dim - I don't know if it's related.
Thanks.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:09 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Power/ lights off- try turning the thumbwheel on the headlight motor, They should full-cyle up/down even with the lights off and the key out.

IF the headlights come on and no uppie lightey...

Try to turn the thumbwheel on the headlight motor with the lights ON. If the headlight motor begins, it's a dead spot in the motor, replace the motor.
Pull the 4 prong white plug and test for voltage against ground.

Switch on and NO headlights/ no headlight motor- check the power mains and the grounds for continuity.

(Ask Paul.. make sure the car is RUNNING to test this.. DOH!)

Cleaning grounds- Pay attention to the ground bundles located in the headlight buckets (The headlights need to be UP to get to them. Remove battery ground and use manual thumbwheel on motor to raise headlights.

HTH Stan. Left blinker dim may just be a dirty bulb/ lens. always check voltage output at the bulb socket to make sure it's not a bad bulb.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:55 PM
cjeckert
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Once this happend to me and it turned out the emergancy falsher swich was like halfway swiched. It perplexed me for like five hours till i bumped it again and the lights worked.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:13 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the head lights will not work on either bright or dim check the head light switch. This is the pinch point for both the head lights and the motor.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:15 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cjeckert
Once this happend to me and it turned out the emergancy falsher swich was like halfway swiched. It perplexed me for like five hours till i bumped it again and the lights worked.
Yours has the fuse/relay box under the hood. Stans's is an early 944 that has it under the dash on the drivers door side. I would pull your fuse/relay box up and check all of the connections under it. Disconnect the battery first.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys.
The biggest problem is that it's an intermittent problem - it's OK now.
In any case, the switch does sound like it could be the problem, considering the simultaneous fault of the headlight movement and the headlight lights. I can't picture one of the two circuits being defective, because the other would still run !

I might have to remove the fuse panels, but I'm not too eager to do it, because access is quite bad.

I'd like to have a list of tests ready next time it happens.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:12 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

There is a relay on the pop-up motor and I think there is also a relay in the fuse box. There are also four - count 'em - four fuses that directly effect the headlights one way or another. At least this is the case on my 85.5. Not sure your early car has the same circuitry. Next time this issue occurs - you might check the fuses for good continuity and swap relays as needed.

Then again - the switch is a likely culprit.

There should be good schematics and fuse block diagrams available at places like Clark's Garage.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply: Headlights don't go up, nor light up - help!