Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with 6x9 speakers in the rear hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 04:52 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey man... thanks for posting... First, since these are in a thread, I need to give credit to those who did these... the ones you have labeled Jeremy are correct except for the very first one- the tan one- that's just a random 968 cab rear tray that was being sold that someone took a pic of- I also have a pic of the underside I think (unless it TOO was lost on my old HD & I was not able to recover)- it shows that that wood they used is thick-*** partical board & makes absolutely no sense.. I mean, delete the rear seats & save a touch of weight why don't ya....??? :-)

anyway, the last two photos, the carpeting ones, are from Rich Sandor's car... I included these b/c Rich did such an awesome job on it & started several threads about it & got flogged w/requests for more pics... the job he did covering the seat bottom is so smooth it looks factory to me & is one way to lose close to 35lbs if you remove all the pieces like seatbacks, bottom, seatbelts, etc... I'd put some dynamat or similar down & maybe even a layer of the spray kind before the carpet though, b/c that area lets in some noise & that cushion definately helps some- I like quiet cars sthough, so that's just me... anyway, Rich also covered the sides & ceiling of the car- very unique AND doing it to the sides might be a nice way around having to remove that rear1/4 window to get to those speakers too...? That's why I included that one...

Last, the custom seat delete pics... I like these better than the 911CS b/c the holes are oval instead of squared- the 968CS does not have a trim piece there at all- it's just the top board that lays across the top & leaves slightly more open holes to store stuff under, if that makes sense... I really want to give credit to the person who did this, so, if anyone here knows, please tell me here... I think the guy's name is tim & I know he's not too far from Knoxville TN- I THINK he's in Murfreesborough TN (outside Nashville)- he offered to help me by giving me his templates & showing me his mounting brackets at the sides, etc... I'd like to get in touch w/him... Porsche does sell mouting brackets for the 968CS- I've seen the part #'s on PET but am not sure any dealers would have them in stock, especially since the CS was not offered in the states... If I find any more good pics of the 968CS, I'll try to get them up here by sending to Ed, or someone else who is competent enough to post them, unlike me... I DID have a custom 968CS job where a guy had mounted some larger speakers in the top of it... I miss having these as I lost them when my HD failed... hopefully will get them back someday... it's just another nice option for speakers...

thanks a lot for posting these Ed...
Old 01-21-2006, 02:14 PM
cag4
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Just to add my recent experience to this thread, I just completed swapping the interior on my 86 951 to black from linen and in the process upgraded the stereo system like this:

Alpine Head Unit (don't have the model number handy, but basically the simplest unit that supprts mp3/wma and thier ipod controller unit)
Polk/MOMO 4x6 plate mounts in the stock front door location (running of the HU)
Stock 4x6 Blaupunkts in the rear locations (running off the HU)
One Alpine sub amp in the left rear cubby
One 8 inch sub in the right rear cubby (covered by the stock carpeting)

I'm pretty sure I went through every thought expressed so far ni this thread efore coming up with this installation -- thought about 6x9s in the back, compnonents in the front 6.5's in the rears... So I decided to do the upgrade in stages to see how it went:

The head unit is stratightforward and is really a matter of personal preference -- I like the look of the Alpine (seems to match the 951 interior) and it has the right mix of power and features that I wanted, without going overboard on features (and expense). I haven't done the ipod controller (I use a Dell DJ most of the time, although have an ipod as well), but could add that at a later date, instead I have an aux jack input run through a small hole in the console cubby under the HU that I can plug anything with a headphone jack into -- versitile and simple (bit of PITA to control the mp3 player while driving so I mostly set it and forget it).

The Polk/MOMO plate mounts are phenomenal -- I listened to all the infinities, bostons, etc and found the polks to simply blow them away -- really rich musical mids and highs that were crisp and clear without any of the harshness that I found with the infinities... now realize that speakers are *totally* subjective, so take it with a grain of salt -- to my 44 year old ears the polks sounded the most real and nuanced vs everything else I tried... btw my musical tastes run from yo yo ma playing bach to daft punk to argentine tango... so go figure... A note on the mounting -- the plate mounts don't just drop in (speaker is just barely too deep so we created a mounting plate out of a black resin-like material from a marine supply store (sort of like corian counter material) that lifted it out just enough for everything to clear -- and there are no grills covering the carbon mids and tweeter -- looks good, but not quite stock).

Ultimately decide to try a small sub in the rear with a small amp to power it -- I don't like the rattle your windows thump of big subs, but wanted tight controlled bass that would play at lound volume levels without distortion and you know what? The small sub in the back is incredibly effective -- we used a bit of marine plywood in the left cubby to mount the amp vertically (can still get small items in and out around it) and another sheet of plywood to mount the sub into that fits the right rear cubby and creates a nice tight enclosure for the sub -- simple, effective and cheap.

Finally, I thought pretty seriously about a set of infinity 4x6s for the stock location in the rear seat location, but its a PITA to change those and with the amped sub handling the low end and the front 4x6s handling the mids and highs, we left the stock bloupunkts in the rear seats and they provide anice mellow mid and just enough highs to even out the sound front to back and side to side -- by relieving the fronts and rear seat 4x6s from having to try to handle bass they are radically improved.

So that's my experience -- not particularly expensive or radical, but really excellent accurate sound reproduction... I'd recommend taking it in stages as it would be easy to spend a mint and go hog-wild for relatively small incremental gains.

cag4
'86 951 (Daft Punk is playing in my house)
Old 01-21-2006, 02:27 PM
F451
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

cag4,

Thanks for the detailed write up. I'll be lookin into a similar setup for my 45 yr old ears. Right now my 944 has some type of Pioneer head unit, some type of speaker box setup in the cargo area (that is just screaming STEAL ME!), and some type of amp back there that I am guessing is driving the speaker box in back.

The sound is not bad, but it could be better. I'll be ditching the speaker box, but would like to improve the sound as much as possible without getting crazy on modding the car, or blowing the budget.

Your setup sounds like a good starting point for research, although I'll probably keep the Pioneer head unit (after I figure out exactly what model it is and what the features and specs on it are).

Thanks,

Ed
Old 01-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cag4, did you use any sort of controls to keep the low end (bass) from going to the 4x6 speakers? I was thinkinga bout that with my plate bostons when i had them, because they had such strong bass for 4x6 that when you turned them up, they'd distort. I was always thinking of putting a resistor or whatever to block the lower frequencies
Old 01-21-2006, 10:51 PM
cag4
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Yieldsign2,
Yep -- the Alpine headunit has a seperate sub channel out which allowed me to choose a crossover point and has seperate subwoofer controls so that I can adjust just the sub -- I forget what cutoff point we used, but it was pretty straightforward. This lets everything below that point go to the sub, and the 4x6s handle just mids and highs, which makes them significanly more efficient and accurate.
cag4
'86 951

Quick Reply: Anyone with 6x9 speakers in the rear hatch?