Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cool down lap vid

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 10:29 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
Skip Wolf is in red
I thought I recognized that sexy ***

I've got a lot more track vid, maybe I should put together a compilation.
For those of you who haven't seen Dan's vids in the past, they are top notch for sure. Definately appreciate the time and effort that goes into these Danno.

As far as putting more of them together -

Funny you posted this tonight as I was just sitting back thinking that we haven't had anything of what I would consider fun to look at or read about on the list in a while (translation - winter Rennlist lul) but as always one of my Rennlist brothers comes to the rescue
Old 12-30-2005, 12:03 AM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! Neat to see my car from that perspective. That was a ton of fun getting the footage except that I almost spun several times because I was paying more attention to where Dan was instead of where I was going. I had a student in the car but luckily it was a friend of both mine and Dan's so he was tolerant of our antics, otherwise I would have scared the crap out of him.

Thanks for the post Dan, and I'll email you my address.

Cory - did that red outfit make my *** look big?
Old 12-30-2005, 12:15 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Skip. Dont expect Cory to be nice. He'll tell you your *** is fat.

Just what I needed- Thanks Dan!!
(but then again, I drove the 924S to and from work today.. )
Old 12-30-2005, 12:27 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 207 Likes on 135 Posts
Talking

OK, guys.. You asked for it. Here is a clean lap of Mid-Ohio at speed from the camera view mounted up on the roof, just behind the sunroof. The camera shakes a bit, it was only on a single suction cup arm. If I wanted to steady it, I'm sure some sort of second leg would help.

For a setup, the car is a 290 RWHP Turbo S, running on Toyo race tires. I've got camber plates and a redline rollbar too. If you put a stopwatch to it (I use the back straight start finish line) I think you will see I'm in the 1:45s, which is really honking for a 4 cyl with all the street goodies still there such as interior, A/C, radio, etc. IIRC, the full blown PCA Turbo S race cars run 1:42s, with a touch less HP (or not). The file is aound 26MB.

http://www.944fest.com/OneHotLap.mpg

"Right click -save as" works best.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:32 AM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan P-

Thanks for the vid, brigns back some good memories. I need to get to Mid-O this year.

Hey David Z- Think there will be a chance for an ex OVR guy to get in?? Or will all the spots be taken on day 1?

Cheers,
Old 12-30-2005, 02:22 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Dan, I like the video mounted from the roof better than from the rollbar, which is how I'm currently filming. I guess a lipstick camera is in my future.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:46 AM
dzombek
Racer

Riff, great to hear from you... I am not sure how much power I have over the DE chair but that would be great to see you back at Mid-Ohio. I can't wait to test out my new trailer, I pick it in two weeks...

ps... I said I was going to post the app on the site, but I let it slip my mind... Work stuff got in the way...

Dan, nice video...

Z
Old 12-30-2005, 11:37 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I got my mount from http://www.chasecam.com/, and the camera from http://www.supercircuits.com/. You leave the camera in the car on the rollbar mount, and move the lipstick cam all over for the external feed. I have a Sony Hi-8 digital camera, and I needed to get a special external microphone from chasecam to get audio. I'm yet to find the ideal microphone location, I'm going to try under the hood (with a microphone extension cord) next year.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:17 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Hey Dan,

Which model camera do you have? How many lines of resolution?
Old 12-30-2005, 07:28 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Talking

Originally Posted by Skip Wolfe
Hey Dan,

Which model camera do you have? How many lines of resolution?

Here is the website text on the cam I bought, 400 lines of resolution for $150:

The PC-79XS security camera is less than .89 inch in diameter but offer incredible features and performance. Their machined metal cases will impress you with their ruggedness and quality. Resolution is a stunning 400 lines. Low light performance is 0.5 lux, excellent for a color camera. Stepless automatic electronic shutter handles very dim room light or bright outdoor settings with ease. Plug and play video and power cables are standard, as is a swivel mounting bracket. Available with precision microlens or covert pinhole lens. Comes with easy connection instructions, pre-installed plug and play video cables, swivel mounting bracket, 1 year warranty and a 30 day money-back satisfaction guarantee.

Super tough metal inline design
400 lines of resolution
0.5 low lux rating
60 degree field of view
Plug and play cables
1 year warranty/30 day MBG

/end clip

Throw in a fancy mount and a powered microphone, (if you already have the video cam with the external input) You can be externally filming for about $200. The camera and microphone run off 12V DC. (how convenient!)
Old 12-31-2005, 10:52 AM
InThePocket
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, guys.. You asked for it. Here is a clean lap of Mid-Ohio at speed from the camera view mounted up on the roof, just behind the sunroof. The camera shakes a bit, it was only on a single suction cup arm. If I wanted to steady it, I'm sure some sort of second leg would help.

For a setup, the car is a 290 RWHP Turbo S, running on Toyo race tires. I've got camber plates and a redline rollbar too. If you put a stopwatch to it (I use the back straight start finish line) I think you will see I'm in the 1:45s, which is really honking for a 4 cyl with all the street goodies still there such as interior, A/C, radio, etc. IIRC, the full blown PCA Turbo S race cars run 1:42s, with a touch less HP (or not). The file is aound 26MB.

http://www.944fest.com/OneHotLap.mpg

"Right click -save as" works best.
Dan thanks for the great video! A bit of OT but would you mind walking me through that Mid-O hot lap in terms of what gear and your shift points? It's hard for me to hear. I'm curious how my new 951 will compare to the 996 in that respect. Thanks a lot.

Roger
Old 12-31-2005, 12:00 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Talking

Originally Posted by InThePocket
Dan thanks for the great video! A bit of OT but would you mind walking me through that Mid-O hot lap in terms of what gear and your shift points? It's hard for me to hear. I'm curious how my new 951 will compare to the 996 in that respect. Thanks a lot.

Roger
Wow, that is an interesting request. It's been a few months since I've been out there, let me see how well I can visualize it. For starters, I'll say there are a couple of points on the track that can go either way depending on how hard you want to push the car, and how important it is that you have boost on tap as soon as you start to get back in to it.

Turn One, I do in 4th gear. You very well can downshift to third for the entry (80-85?) and will have boost the second you ask for it on the exit, but it will be strong (unsettling) and require a quick shift to fourth. If you go thru fast and have a turbo that will pull from 3500, you will be faster and smoother in 4th. I go back to third either before going in to turn 3 (for a quick bust of accel into the keyhole) or in the braking, right before the keyhole. As always, the longer I stay in the higher gear the smoother and probably faster I can be, as long as I don't need immediate max HP. Third thru the keyhole, shift to 4th out the exit. I use 5th after the kink as I am headed up to very near 140. IIRC, I drop down to third during the braking zone on the end of the back straight.

A word about the end of the back straight: PCA DE teaches folks to maximize both turns, the right at the end of the straight AND the left over the hill in madness. The Mid-Ohio school instructors teach folks a faster, race line, to THROW AWAY the over-the-hill left in order to maximize the right exit from the straight. They say there is more to be gained by maximizing a faster turn, and less to be lost by wasting speed/placement over the slow hump. The pros know that over the top left will run near the same speed if you enter from the center of the track or all the way left (where you end up from cooking thru the exit before) Without showing you (well, you could watch the vid) at the end of the back straight, I turn in early, with a bit of trail braking, and early apex the right hander, carrying a lot of speed down in to the low left corner of the entry to madness. This might not make much sense just reading it, but it shaved a second or so when I fully implemented it. You will be amazed how fast you gain on cars who late apex and set up mid-track for the overhill.

Anyway, back to our gear changing exercise. Over madness in 3rd all the way to thunder alley, into 4th. Here is another spot you might hang on to third. If you are hard on it, you will hit the rev limiter in 3rd, but just a few seconds before the braking zone. If you hold RPMS here, man will she shoot out of that left hander (13?) and you will have the power on tap to squirt it sideways a bit. If I'm really moving I go to 4th in thunder alley and stay there until after 13 when I go back to 3 for the carousel. You'll be inclined to go to 2nd in the carousel, but for less than a couple of seconds you will be ready for 3rd climbing out. Usually I'll stay in 3rd, IIRC. I like the POP and fire out the exhaust as I shift from 3rd to 4th somewhere downwind of the start finish tower.

I'm sure you will get the hang of managing the boost, and make sure you know when it is going to come in. There is nothing worse than accelerating out of a turn and get hit with 100 extra ft lbs of twist right when the tires are approaching their limit. Exiting the carousel was a spot where I am told this phenomenon bit more than a few 951s.

OK?

Have fun..
Old 12-31-2005, 12:53 PM
InThePocket
Addict
Rennlist Member

Whew, awesome description Dan. I need to go lie down for a moment, my heart is pounding LOL I'm just a little nervous about bouncing on and off boost through the corners. It's going to take awhile having been used to the smooth power band of the 996. I really appreciate your taking the time here. I'll definitely be referring back to it as spring nears.

Roger
Old 12-31-2005, 01:05 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

A word about the end of the back straight: PCA DE teaches folks to maximize both turns, the right at the end of the straight AND the left over the hill in madness. The Mid-Ohio school instructors teach folks a faster, race line, to THROW AWAY the over-the-hill left in order to maximize the right exit from the straight. They say there is more to be gained by maximizing a faster turn, and less to be lost by wasting speed/placement over the slow hump. The pros know that over the top left will run near the same speed if you enter from the center of the track or all the way left (where you end up from cooking thru the exit before) Without showing you (well, you could watch the vid) at the end of the back straight, I turn in early, with a bit of trail braking, and early apex the right hander, carrying a lot of speed down in to the low left corner of the entry to madness. This might not make much sense just reading it, but it shaved a second or so when I fully implemented it. You will be amazed how fast you gain on cars who late apex and set up mid-track for the overhill.
Amen to that. What a huge difference that made when I learned the Mid-Ohio line vs the PCA DE line. Not real sure why the DE school of thought uses the late apex at T7 - isn't really a safety issue and eventually you will end up learning the earlier apex anyway.

Originally Posted by InThePocket
...I'm just a little nervous about bouncing on and off boost through the corners. It's going to take awhile having been used to the smooth power band of the 996...
The biggest struggle you will have is keeping it on boost. Especially when you are leaning the car you will probably be a little slower through keyhole and carousel which will cause you to come off boost. The urge will be to downshift but as you learn the car and carry more speed it will become less of a problem. Although I still am off boost some coming out of T1 and struggle a bit between taking it in 3rd or 4th.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:45 PM
InThePocket
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Skip Wolfe
The biggest struggle you will have is keeping it on boost. Especially when you are leaning the car you will probably be a little slower through keyhole and carousel which will cause you to come off boost. The urge will be to downshift but as you learn the car and carry more speed it will become less of a problem. Although I still am off boost some coming out of T1 and struggle a bit between taking it in 3rd or 4th.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Skip, it will definitely be an interesting season for me. I remember one instructor a couple years ago that had me stay in 3rd gear through all the turns at Mid-O, forcing me to carry speed and taking away some of my track out advantage of the torquey newer 911. That was a valuable lesson I hope I can apply with the 944T/S. I need to watch Dan's video again to fully understand what you guys are saying about madness.

Roger

Quick Reply: Cool down lap vid