Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

968 Radio Dilemma...find code or replace? If so, with What?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 06:44 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 968 Radio Dilemma...find code or replace? If so, with What?

I just found out why the code for my 968's radio won't work...the radio had been replaced by a PO who upgraded, then pulled the new radio before selling the car. The code is lost. I don't know if the radio is really stock or not. All the speaker wires are marked. There's a multi-pin plug on on a cord coming out the back of the radio that's UPPLUGGED and marked POWER AMP. Is this normal? Anyone know if all stock radios have this or was this added by someone?

I have two choices...1) see if I can get the code for this radio (nearest Porsche dealer is 100 miles away) 2) or buy a replacement radio that will slide in and hook up EASILY to existing wiring. I'd opt for CD player this time. Anyone have one of these lying around for sale? Or recommendations for new? Or where I might reasonably get the code I need?

Thanks
Old 12-27-2005, 07:16 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd replace since technology has improved so much recently. "Easy" is a relative term, but I recently installed a Pioneer DEH-P770MP with an iPod controller. The deck plays regular CDs as well as CDs loaded with MP3 files or AAC (apple format) files, as well as charge and control an iPod. It also measures the battery. I hid the iPod underneath the ashtray (with the tray removed, just the top). The PO butchered the existing wires, but I only had to identify and splice 8 wires. I'm quite happy with the setup, except for the neony look....

Old 12-27-2005, 07:23 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Good suggestion!

Thanks, Joe, for the suggestion. I just called Crutchfield and they didn't have a clue on what to suggest.

All my wires are identified as to which speaker, etc. I just don't know which is switched, etc. I'm a klutz at electrical so I want it simple. I may have to drive 100 miles to a dealer that can do this for me.

Harvey
Resume Speed, Idaho
Old 12-27-2005, 07:28 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not an electrical whiz either, but I don't mind getting my hands dirty to learn (but, I mess up sometimes....). I don't have prior experience, but I wonder if you replace with another Blaupunkt unit, the install would be easy.

Oh, and here's more info that might be of help: 924/944/968 Stereo FAQ
Old 12-27-2005, 08:00 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Harvey, you might be able to get the code by contacting the manufacturer of the radio and giving them a serial number. Thats how it works with the radio on my fathers E320 (either that goto the dealer worked also).

I would personally just upgrade the radio, like Joseph said there is a ton of better technology out like MP3 players and the ability to hook up inputs like IPods and whatnot. If you do buy a radio from Crutchfield, im pretty sure they include a wire harness that plugs into the stock connectors. It makes things very easy, all you need to do is splice the supplied harness with the harness from the radio and your set. You dont even need to do it with everything in the car!
Old 12-27-2005, 08:06 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

If the radio is the original the dealer has access to the code. Your options sticker should tell you if it is at least the same type radio as initially shipped with the car.

Try calling the dealer first (you may have already) - some will give the code and some will charge you for it. With the distances involved in your part of the world they may be more lenient. You may also try a independent Porsche shop near you (Moose Motors?) as they may have a relationship with the dealer to just get the code at no charge.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:38 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

If the serial number has 14 digits and starts with BP I have a calculator that is suppose to tell the code. Not sure if it works but it is worth a try. You could just post the SN or PM and I will post or PM the code.

Last edited by Charlie; 12-28-2005 at 10:13 AM.

Quick Reply: 968 Radio Dilemma...find code or replace? If so, with What?