Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 Voltage Regulator Buzzkill

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 04:21 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts
Default 951 Voltage Regulator Buzzkill

Hope everyone here had a nice X-mas...Mine was quietly uneventful, until I tried to start the 951 to go deliver presents. Should have done it days ago.

I turn the ignition and get nothing. No lights, chimes, or a starter motor. Now I'm fearing; "damn alternator!" I start the car with the new battery/charger/air pump/work light I got for X-mas and I'm finally off to play Santa-be-lately. I deliver presents over three stops, leaving the motor running- because I notice the voltmeter needle creeping downwards. Finally, as I enter the freeway on-ramp to head home....I see the Achtung! dummy light come on, immediately followed by sputtering gas pedal, and the finale of all the dummy lights in unison.

Embarrassingly, I pull over the shoulder, and gaze into the engine bay in shock, as car after car of partying families cast a pitiful look as they blaze by. Well, one guy was cool enough to assist with another jump start. I quickly thank him and rush off merging with holidayers. While frantically close to home- I sadly see the car die again, as the voltage regulator brushes give off their last stroke. I used to call this holiday Christmas- but now I know it as "X-MAS"...because any one of them can be your WORST.

Luckily my 951 came with a new Beck/Arnley regulator, which sucks compared to the Bosch part. The spring loaded brushes spilled-out the copper nuggets, as I unwrapped the packing tape it was shipped-in. The worst is yet to come...

While trying to figure out the best way to install them. I realized practicallly the entire cooling system must be evacuated, and the plumbing hardware removed all because of ONE STUPID PART- the Alternator cooling cone! There I was this afternoon and most of this evening, bellowing randomly loud four-letter words in this otherwise quiet day. I'm sorry- if you 951 owners can estimate this task can be accomoplished in a reasonable time...you will be dissappointed! I was able to slide the hard ABS plastic cone back 3inches to allow installation of the new part. But when it came to securing it to the alternator- the awkward angle of attack, almost zero visibility of the target bolt holes, no lighting(drop lamp burned arm and I simply dropped lamp, grenading the flourescent light bulb). tight workspace, constantly cramping hands, dropped screws on belly pan(no telescoping magnet + retrieval=10 min)I realized FOUR HOURS PASSED and still everythings apart!!!

I took a deep breath, tried to eat dinner, and brainstormed a workaround QUICK:.

Solution: Replace flathead screws with small studs of equal size and thread. It further sux when the said parts are still piled-up at my local CLOSED Home-depot! My improvisation employed screws with severed heads. *Whew* I need more beer now.....

Other than the clutch- this harmless-looking task will wring EVERY LAST NERVE you have and ranks as my second worst P-Car fix. Now my ski trip is melted.....BAH!...there is always NEXT YEAR!!!

Happy Holidays!
Zach

Quick Reply: 951 Voltage Regulator Buzzkill