Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It finally happened...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005 | 01:59 AM
mitsumark

Default It finally happened...

Well,after 2 problem free years of 944 ownership,my luck finally ran out.I drove the car 2 hours away from home and that is where it sits now.Luckily,its in my aunts driveway.Im hoping some of you guys can give me a huge Christmas gift and give me some good hints on what the problem might be..Heres the scoop.

84 944

As stated,I drove the car 2 hours away on the highway without a glitch,hiccup,or any signs of a problem that might arise.I arrived at my destination and parked the car in the driveway.I come outside 4hours later and the car wont start.It turns over strongly but wont fire.So now I start investigating.First I checked spark.I have spark at the coil,cap,and plug wires.That eliminates ignition.Next I check fuel..Ahh,no fuel pump whine.It doesnt sound like the fuel pump is turning on at all during "key on"or when cranking..I checked the fuel pump fuse and it was good.My next guesses would be the fuel pump relay or pump itself.But Im far from home and had no tools to work with..I also heard that if the DME relay goes bad it causes a no start situation.I was also told if the tach doesnt bounce when attempting to start,it is most likely DME related..Anyway,my tach bounces on the attemp starts.So does that rule out DME??Im looking for some decent clues on what causes no start scenarios with the 944 as I see many threads on the topic.I knew it would happen to me sooner or later.I told you guys everything I know and hopefully could get some hints on how to get this thing home.Thanks in advance..
Old 12-25-2005 | 02:13 AM
icat
Race Car

My suggestion would be to check the speed and reference sensors. Look at the back of the engine - there will be a metal bracket that sits up above the engine right at the back. Easy to spot - they are both on top on the same bracket. Make sure the two sets of plugs (one speed and one reference) are securely fastened. If either is loose the car will not start. Try unplugging and then resetting them. Or just wiggle them and try to start the car again.

Last edited by icat; 12-25-2005 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Crappy Spelling
Old 12-25-2005 | 03:50 AM
bleucamaro
Drifting

I'd check the relays first. Then check the wiring to the fuel pump. Then I'd attach a seportate powersource to the pump to check if it works at all.
Old 12-25-2005 | 04:02 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

No fuel because the DME determines the pulse signal, of the injectors. The DME is fed this info from....you guessed it- the speed Hall Sender, and the TDC sensors. The proper clearance from the spinning flywheel is roughly the thickness of your own thumbnail.

Zach
Old 12-25-2005 | 07:02 AM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bleucamaro
I'd check the relays first. Then check the wiring to the fuel pump. Then I'd attach a seportate powersource to the pump to check if it works at all.
This is where I would start too.
A problem with the speed/ref. sensors and the tach would not bounce when you crank it.
Old 12-25-2005 | 08:41 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Since your tach bounces when you try and start the car I'd rule out the speed / reference sensors. You have an early car, so you have a fuel pump relay to look at. Find it on the fuse / relay panel inside the car. If that checks out ok I would look at fuel rail pressure and go from there.

Look here for more information:
fuel pump relay http://clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/fuel-05.htm
fuel pump flow testing http://clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/fuel-04.htm
Old 12-25-2005 | 08:54 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve
Since your tach bounces when you try and start the car I'd rule out the speed / reference sensors. You have an early car, so you have a fuel pump relay to look at. Find it on the fuse / relay panel inside the car. If that checks out ok I would look at fuel rail pressure and go from there.

Look here for more information:
fuel pump relay http://clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/fuel-05.htm
fuel pump flow testing http://clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/fuel-04.htm

I agree. The tach needle moving is an important indicator.
Old 12-26-2005 | 12:34 AM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Just do a jump at the relay. Jump 87b and 30 slots and try to start the car then. If it starts then the relay is bad. Or you might just want to pick up a relay and stick that in since they are pretty cheap and you can always use a spare if it's still good. Also I agree tach needle moving it sounds like the DME relay. Also maybe the wires to the relay board are loose.
Old 12-26-2005 | 12:44 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

If it has spark, the ref sensors are fine. I'd have to say either fuel pump relay or ground. Possibly the DME relay, probably not but don't rule it out. Actually, you could probably tap on the relays in question with a screwdriver or pocket knife while cranking and it would start. Most likey just glazed contacts in the relay. Good luck
Old 12-26-2005 | 02:06 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Take a look at this regardiing DME relay (fuel pump relay). Go to link, click on "Garage Shop Manual", Look under "DME relay" Technical info and testing. Might also look under
Troubleshooting TS-01, Engine (includes Oil Pressure problems)...........for more help with a no start condition.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/
Old 12-27-2005 | 07:49 PM
Russian Rocket
Pro

Mark, just got your e-mail, i don't know if you still need it but you can come over and get your relay. Sorry i couldn't respond earlier, had a 48hour EMS shift with no internet access
LMK
Vlad.
Old 12-27-2005 | 11:01 PM
mitsumark

Vlad,,Sent you another e-mail..I will come over to get it tomorrow if thats ok with you.Just shoot me a time thats good for you.Im off for the rest of the week..Thanks..
Old 12-27-2005 | 11:39 PM
Russian Rocket
Pro

e-mail replied Hopefully your car will be running tomorrow.
Old 12-28-2005 | 02:13 AM
mitsumark

How about tonight Put in your fuel pump relay and it fired up instantly..Thanks to all for the suggestions,and most of all,thanks Russian Rocket for coming through..If you ever need anything from me,just ask.Needless to say I will be keeping a spare relay in the glove box at all times.
Old 12-28-2005 | 12:32 PM
Russian Rocket
Pro

I'm glad everything worked out and i was able to help

Quick Reply: It finally happened...