Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86 944 Turbo Engine and Engine Parts For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 10:10 AM
Samdog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 944 Turbo Engine and Engine Parts For Sale

Moderator - I am a Rennlist member as of yesterday so please don't delete this. Steve Lewis, steruth@prodigy.net Haven't gotten my number yet.

Hi guys,

I've been playing with 944s for a long time and I race a 944 Cup car in the mid Atlantic region. I've probably sold a lot of you parts on ebay since I part cars once in a while to get parts for my race car and a little extra money.

I've got an 86 944 turbo engine with a bit of history so I thought I'd post it here before trying ebay etc. This engine came from a car that I bought with body damage about a year ago. It had only 86K miles which I verified with Carfax. I still have the VIN info. I parted the car out and kept what I wanted. Part of that included selling the engine. I had thoroughly driven the car and even performed compression and leak down on the engine. I still have the pics of those tests. Anyway, compression was great as was leakdown 1-3% IIRC like you would expect with 86K miles. The buyer purchased the engine from me for $2750 which included shipping of about $400. He dismantled the engine upon receipt and found that the pistons had marks in them from contact with valves from a timing belt failure. I had no way of knowing that in advance as this was obviously an old failure which had been repaired with a rebuilt head but the pistons were not replaced. To make a long story short, he didn't want the engine and I took it back.

I went ahead and disassembled the rest of the engine and it is now down to a bare block. The cylinder bores look excellent, bearings, head, cam tower, turbo, exhaust, etc all look great. The only issue I can find is that the pistons have slight dings in the arc of a valve having touched them. I have the harness, intercooler, exhaust down to the cats, computers (ECU and boost controller), turbo, bellhousing, clutch, flywheel, air filter housing etc....everything from a good running engine. I have no use for a turbo engine. The only piece I want to keep is the oil filter housing and oil cooler so I can put them on my race car. I would like to get $2000 for the engine with all parts included. If not, I'll try ebay then part it out if I can't sell it whole. I'm located in Suffolk, VA. Sorry for the long post but I want to make sure I don't leave anything out!

Thanks,

Steve Lewis
steruth@prodigy.net
Old 12-16-2005, 12:24 PM
4thChild
Rennlist Member

Hey Steve. Im in Virginia Beach; just dropping a line to say hello. Good luck with the sale.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:13 PM
Samdog
Advanced

Thanks! I've got another 944 that I'm going to part out soon if you need anything. It was used as a track car so it has a lot of race parts on it but was still a street car so it retains all that stuff too.

Happy Holidays!

Steve
Old 12-16-2005, 03:14 PM
Samdog
Advanced

Are you serious about the lift? I've got an Eagle two post in my garage so let me know if you need info etc.

Quick Reply: 86 944 Turbo Engine and Engine Parts For Sale