Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to reattach headliner?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005 | 05:05 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Default How to reattach headliner?

OK so, in the process of swapping interiors, i had to take down the vinyl that is the "headliner" in the 944. It's not a molded piece as you know if you've done it, it's just a cut piece of vinyl. I started trying to use 3M trim adhesive, and it seems to just bleed through and make a complete mess. anyone have any tips on this.. ? what kind of glues did you use, did you apply it to the vinyl first or the roof first, did you apply it to the entire piece or just in spots, anything to watch out for?

Thanks... I don't want to make more of a mess than i already have.
Old 12-15-2005 | 05:47 PM
formerGMguy
Racer

I used some industrial strength rubber cement when I did work on my sunroof. I forget which brand, but it was pretty cheap and worked very well. I just applied it to the metal let it sit for a minute or two and pressed the vinyl down. It worked very well, with no bleed through.
Old 12-15-2005 | 06:31 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

It's a messy job. I help'd my dad do it to a car back in high school! Nothing like clue cover'd hands on a hot Indiana July afternoon :-)
Old 12-15-2005 | 06:42 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

At least most cars have a molded piece that the headliner attaches to. The stupid 944 just glues to sheet metal in random places and stretches over holes . I hav eno idea how this comes out not droopy and wrinkled.
Old 12-15-2005 | 06:49 PM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

Use 3m Super 77 ( it also comes in high strength) spray it on the vinyl and the roof of the car. let it get tacky to the touch and install the vinyl. It won't bleed through and will last a very long time (many years).
Old 12-15-2005 | 07:46 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've always had good luck with the 3m Super 77 spray stuff myself. Trick is to put it on both surfaces, let it get a little tacky, and position it VERY closely on the first contact made, and work fairly fast. Start around the sunroof area, and use a body filler type spreader to smooth the vinyl as you make contact. You don't need to spray it on real thick (both vinyl and body). You can just spray a small area of it on at a time, do your thing, leave a little overlap on the spray adhesive, and spray another area, and go some more.

This is just a suggestion. I've not done this on one of these 944's......yet. Good luck.
Old 12-15-2005 | 09:02 PM
ckathens
Drifting

oy vey, this is NOT a fun job. I did it on my '83 about a year ago. I also used the 3M Super 77 spray glue. Just be careful where you spray it because it does NOT come off paint once it has dried.

My best suggestion in terms of avoiding a total mess is to use alot of thick alligator clips to hold the fabric up so you have two free hands to do the rest. Cut the piece out for the sunroof as soon as you can - that will make things much easier as you'll have to deal with less fabric. Good luck!

Quick Reply: How to reattach headliner?