Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AUTOMATIC transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 04:10 PM
adie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AUTOMATIC transmission

well after building a new race car over the summer I finally got a chance to pull one of my dead auto transmissions apart, this one was in the car for a few years, and it took ages to get out of first gear, had to drive 1/2 mile before it would select gears, then is used to oevrheat and cause all sorts of slipping problems, at times it would loose drive and I would have to pull over for 5 mins and then carry on my journey, so I swapped it for a different transmission (only side note here is I have always had the same T/C) the new box worked for a while then did something strange (another topic for when I get it pulled down) now all the clutches are good, it had fresh oil and filter and it did the same. Now if this works you should see a pic of the clutch band, it's obviously gone, but I want to know what (if any) symptoms would this produce, I have held off buying the destruction manual for 944's because I don't know how much detail they put into the automatic transmissions, could someone who has one have a look and see what kind if detail they give. If they go into compleate detail I think it would answer the questions for the other trans and would be worth the purchase price. Any help would be greatly apreachiated.
Adie
Attached Images  
Old 12-15-2005, 09:17 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Adie, PM me if you need additional info on the 944 Auto trans's.
If a band is bad, it may cause the slipping you describe., but so would bad ATF pressure (I.e. a tranny fluid leak)
Old 12-15-2005, 11:28 PM
adie
Pro

Ah! no leak ever and replaced fluid at 12 month inntervals as both times people thought it would be a good idea to make sure there was no contamination. I was never convinced the pressure was there as if felt like it had to build up pressure before anything was working properly. I've sent a PM
Old 12-16-2005, 03:50 AM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

I have an auto tran if you need one. came out of a running car we did a sex change on. PM me if interested...

Quick Reply: AUTOMATIC transmission