Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil leak ->...SMOKE!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 11:14 PM
mhhedm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question oil leak ->...SMOKE!!

Hi guys, help me out a little

My -91 S2 keeps letting off some smoke while the engine is heating up. The cloud emerge from under the hood during some five to ten minutes of initial driving and comes from an oil leak that soaks the exhaust pipe.

I have changed an old valve cover gasket still without getting to the bottom of the problem. My mechanic says it can either be the cylinder head or the rear main seal. Repairs that cost around a thousand with 8h of work.

He said, get used to it cause it won't hurt the engine keeping it leaking a little in these places.

What are your experience with this type of leak. It first started after the car had been sitting for three weeks. Is it going to lead to some real bad sh##t if not corrected? I can't change it myself and hope that it will just stay within bounds. Perhaps I could craft a metall drain so that the exhaust pipe won't get any drips on it...

Thanks for any ideas

Mikael
Old 12-14-2005, 11:39 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

i had some oil that was dripping on one of the manifolds right before the Y-pipe going to the cat. im pretty sure it was oil pan gasket. engines not even in the car now so im pretty sure i will take care of the leak (changing everything since i have 4 months before i can drive it again) making a drain so it doesnt burn off on the exhaust will only get you a spot on your driveway. if you are gonnna let it be, just let it burn
Old 12-14-2005, 11:40 PM
barelyrunshalfthetime
Rennlist Member

well our oil pan gasket was bad and every time we floored it oil splashed on the exhaust and filled the cab with smoke and a cloud came out from underneath the car. new pan gasket = problem solved for us.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:05 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you be more specific as to where the oil is leaking from?

I was going to say its a chance that the rear cam housing seal is leaking, which is a cheap part and fairly simple to reach (3 easy to get to bolts). However i realize you have an S2, not sure if the 16v motor suffers from this problem as well.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:21 AM
mhhedm
Intermediate

The dripping seems to be coming from the rear below the valve cover, but in reply to your idea; I don't know either if the S2 has this type of gasket...?

Quick Reply: oil leak ->...SMOKE!!