Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

List of basic tools for Santa

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 03:20 AM
ncporsche944man
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default List of basic tools for Santa

Hello everyone,

I am recent new owner of a 96 951 and have been given the ok to ask Santa for some tools to work on my new car. The car is bone stock with 103k and has new belts replace by the po. The only major problem I have at this time is an oil leak from the back of the cam tower that is leaking onto the exhaust headers and down the bottom of the engine block. No chance of getting lost on a Sunday drive, just turn around and follow the smoke trail back home. I have had people at stop lights offer to call 911 thinking that my car is on fire.

I have the basic mechanics hand tools, so the question is what tools specific to doing the cam tower gasket will I need to take the top part of the engine apart? What are the recommended sources and estimated price based on everyones experience doing this type of repair? I plan to start replacing vaccum hoses as needed, install an Iceshark battery cable kit (thanks to Steve Horn for selling me his extra set), possible water pump as it was not replace with the belts, cooling system hoses, plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor. Are there any other items I should consider doing that anyone can point me too?

As a side note, I am located in central North Carolina and am curious to know if there are any listers in this area? Also, to everyone who offers advice on this board, thank you for sharing. I have learned so much about these cars over the past few months reading the posts and look forward to learning more in the future.

Happy Holidays to everyone.

Thanks,
Rodney
Old 12-14-2005, 09:48 AM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ncporsche944man
I have the basic mechanics hand tools, so the question is what tools specific to doing the cam tower gasket will I need to take the top part of the engine apart?
This is all off of memory - someone else chime in if I forgot something.

Flywheel lock
8mm allen head socket.
long 6mm allen head socket.
thin 27mm? wrench (buy a cheap one and grind it down if you have to)
belt tensioning tool. (might be able to borrow if there's a 'lister near you with one.)

Also hide all large hammers before you start, or you'll be tempted to use one, usually right after you've rounded off a bolt or dropped something inside the cam housing.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:50 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

First of all, welcome!

And take note all others: He has less than 50 posts and is a memeber. Good job, man!

In addition to the above:

I bought the allen T-handle set from Sears for $20 and it included 3mm to 10mm. I found the T-handle easier to use for putting the bolts back into the cam tower through the access holes. You'll need a 6mm for the bolts and an 8mm for the covers.

For some specialty tools look at www.arnnworx.com . Bruce makes the necessary tools to change the belts and sell the tension guages. Outstanding quality and very reasonable.

Before begining any job, review www.clarks-garage.com as he lists tools and items needed to perform the task.

Be sure to download your version of the PET from the Porsche website (used to be on CD only) because there will be items you need to replace and it's so much easier to call or order by part number than "Gee I thinks its a 5mm or maybe a 6mm but it holds the thing to the watchamacalit..."
Old 12-14-2005, 10:21 AM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

I replaced my rear cam tower cover gasket without taking the cam tower off. you need a long 10mm wrench and a welder to make the other 10mm wrench. I tool a cheap wrench and cut it in half and welded it back together with the correct angle to reach the bolt nearest the fender well.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:41 AM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

There's a little cap on the back of the tower, towards the firewall, that is notorious for leaking. Three 10mm bolts hold it on. Also holds on the engine hoist ring so there's no missing it.

"Basic hand tools" are key and, of course, they're all metric. (OK, there's a few exceptions.) Can't have enough wrenches and sockets. Sockets in short and deep styles. Most always 10m, 13mm, 15mm, 17mm and some 19mm nuts and bolts. Add a set of cheap large impact sockets (up to ~30mm). A large Crescent wrench that'll go to 32mm. A set of metric Allen wrenches and one of Allen socket wrenches. Gotta have a torque wrench as the aluminum parts (e.g., engine!) don't like over-torque.

A few favorite oddball tools:
13mm swiveling socket (for intake and exhaust bolts)
1.5" long 1/2" extension (for crank bolt)
Large 6mm Allen wrench cut into pieces (for cam tower bolts)
Deep 19mm socket with 1/2" drive (for steel lug nuts)
Old 12-14-2005, 12:06 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

nobody has said it yet, but i just pulled the engine out of my car and a set of metric gear wrenches would be so handy so often. not room for a ratchet in some places and gear wrench only needs 5* of movement. kinda pricey, about 65$ for a set, but thats one of the things on my xmas list. you can get them with a swivel head too, but the price then goes up to 99$

Quick Reply: List of basic tools for Santa