Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the dealer for a part today....

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 02:53 AM
jimmyvirus
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks for all your replies and remarks. I wanted to do the job right and thats why the visit to the dealer. The bolts are not really strong thus the deformation which led me to believe perhaps it has something to do with thermal expansiion of the the aluminum cam tower and head. Home Depot, Lowes and Pep Boys have a good selection of possible replacements but I didn't want to invent my own solution and have to fix it twice. When working on cars my motto is "Fix it once and fix it right. I rather be driving it then working on it. I ended up buying a set of 15 from Paragon.
James
Old 12-03-2005, 04:32 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Here's the link I was looking for:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/eagleday/yezifa.html

Cam Tower/Intake Manifold Socket Head Bolts
Zinc Dichromate (Yellow Zinc) Plating

Use these Yellow Zinc-plated M8 x 35mm Socket Head bolts to enhance the looks of your engine's Cam Tower (18 bolts) and Intake Manifold(8 bolts). The price is for a pack of 5 bolts with the washers.

835HS-100 $5.95
Old 12-03-2005, 04:49 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The stuff at home depot and generic bolts are not strong enough for our cars. I wrenched on a 944 spec car where the previous owner replaced the head nuts with hardware store generic type and I stripped them trying to install the head according to proper specs. Afterwards, I used my spare head nuts from previous parts cars and worked flawlessly. James, I have many (probably about 100) used cam tower bolts in very good shape (I used snap on allen sockets to remove them) if you need them for the intake manifold. I had to remove 3 heads and reinstall 2 of them just this week alone. Let me know if you need a hand or drive your car by Long Beach (my new residence).

BTW, how come you are resorting to the 944 turbo to drive to work?
Old 12-03-2005, 06:14 AM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

Originally Posted by WolfeMacleod
Quit bitchen' and do it right. That's only $101 and change. I regularly buy screws and stuff by the 10,000 pieces. Now that gets expensive.
If people would stop cobbling our cars together with duct tape and the likes, our values in general may stop declining.
Take care of it right
A grade 8 hex head bolt is a grade 8 hex head bolt whether it comes from the dealership of Ace hardware.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:24 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's not what he is talking about.

He is talking about the ******* who puts regular allen head bolts in the turbo pressure-plate, then when he realizes they have to have low head-height, SHAVES them down so they don't machine a groove in the bellhousing.
Then when I get the damn car, I have to drill every bolt out to change the clutch, because there is now only .2345 inch of allen depth.

And things like that.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:57 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
That's not what he is talking about.

He is talking about the ******* who puts regular allen head bolts in the turbo pressure-plate, then when he realizes they have to have low head-height, SHAVES them down so they don't machine a groove in the bellhousing.
Then when I get the damn car, I have to drill every bolt out to change the clutch, because there is now only .2345 inch of allen depth.

And things like that.
Yep, that's the kinda schit I'm talking about!
Or sealing your window stuff with USPS packing tape...or using plastic bags...or puttng seat cover on to hide tears - fix it!
Or dash covers. I'll never buuya car with a dash cover.
Speaking of which, I'm thinking about getting a badly cracked dash to try redoing the top in soft black leather and doing a carboli job on it.. Anyone got one?
Old 12-03-2005, 09:09 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or using JB weld and a piece of old hose to seal an intercooler pipe that costs 28 bucks new.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:28 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Originally Posted by Legoland951
The stuff at home depot and generic bolts are not strong enough for our cars. I wrenched on a 944 spec car where the previous owner replaced the head nuts with hardware store generic type and I stripped them trying to install the head according to proper specs. Afterwards, I used my spare head nuts from previous parts cars and worked flawlessly. James, I have many (probably about 100) used cam tower bolts in very good shape (I used snap on allen sockets to remove them) if you need them for the intake manifold. I had to remove 3 heads and reinstall 2 of them just this week alone. Let me know if you need a hand or drive your car by Long Beach (my new residence).

BTW, how come you are resorting to the 944 turbo to drive to work?

If you know what the bolt specs are, I'm sure you can go to many supply houses, such as McMaster-Carr, and get the same spec bolt a lot cheaper.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:51 PM
Matt H
Race Director

You can always get the part cheaper but I assure you when you cheap out on a bolt and have to remove it later you will quickly understand why the factory used THAT SPECIFIC bolt (like you can fit a 13mm socket there but you CAN fit an 11mm socket there).

EagleDay does have a nice kit.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:14 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Originally Posted by Matt H
You can always get the part cheaper but I assure you when you cheap out on a bolt and have to remove it later you will quickly understand why the factory used THAT SPECIFIC bolt (like you can fit a 13mm socket there but you CAN fit an 11mm socket there).

EagleDay does have a nice kit.

I'm talking same-spec bolts. I doubt Porsche manufactures their own. Cut out the middle man and go straight to a quality hardware supplier.

Trust me, we don't use cheap, low-grade bolts on our FSAE car. I'm sure you can get the same exact spec bolt the dealer is selling elsewhere. And most likely cheaper.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:21 PM
Matt H
Race Director

You certainly can, it is things like head sizes of the bolts and lengths that make them "different." I still dont doubt you can get them cheaper. I suppose if your time is worth nothing you might actually save.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:46 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

I dunno, assuming the eagleday bolts are in stock, (and you can wait), isn't the whole thing moot (because their price is like 1.20 a bolt)?
Old 12-03-2005, 02:50 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Originally Posted by Matt H
You certainly can, it is things like head sizes of the bolts and lengths that make them "different." I still dont doubt you can get them cheaper. I suppose if your time is worth nothing you might actually save.
Being a poor college student with no job, my time isn't worth much

I suppose it would depend on how long it would take to determine/ look up the bolt specs. If it takes 30 minutes to look up and order, I'm still ahead on time to drive out to the dealer. If it takes an hour longer than going to the dealer, but I save $50, I just made 50/hr. Not too shabby.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Concur, however, some of us make more than 50 bucks an hour so it is a loss.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:07 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

mcmaster car. hardware is usually less then a dollar a peice, and quality has never let me down. (Just order the right strength and size!) also takes like 5 minutes to order. 100 bucks for 15 bolts, you buy that and you deserve to be broke.
Home depot hardware works just fine on anything thats NOT going to be torqued to hell like a head nut. My exhaust is hung with home depot hardware, which is zinc plated, and I never have problems with it.
hardware is hardware, just buy grade 8 where necassary, grade 10.9 or higher where necassary and please dont ever go to the stealership for bolts (or anything) again.
btw, that rear cork gasket i bought for about .50 (50 cents) online.
Eyal

Quick Reply: Went to the dealer for a part today....