Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excuse my ignorance..this may seem like a dumb question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 06:26 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I wouldn't turbo my car...I just got it to the point where I think it could reliably go cross country with new tires and fuel lines. Don't need a Pandora's box of new problems.

I also have the original clutch on my 83 and I'm milking it for all it's worth...123k and working fine, should do ok for awhile.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:20 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 75ohm
550bhp out of a 944, how?
sell the 44' get a 51' call vitesse.

it can be done
Old 11-29-2005, 07:23 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowline
I could destroy a 944 powertrain in good shape using stock power and enough stupidity. If you want to use the turbo to its full potential, and have a reliably fast car, I don't see how you can't pay attention to all of those things. The only way I could see the extra power being used without destroying things quickly is to select a gear on the highway and ease on the power.

Remember the racer's pyramid:
Good+ Cheap = Not fast
Cheap+ Fast = Not good , and...
Fast+ Good = Not cheap
Right. I understand the racer's pyramid. In project management they have a similar saying. Guess it applies to nearly any activity.

I would want a reliable, robust, and dependable machine, where it might handle a few stupidities on occasion, but I really want to drive the thing pretty hard during in DEs, but also on the streets. In fact, I'm sure that I'd be logging more hours on the street than on the track.

I certainly think that some performance enhancement tweaking would net some benefits. While I'd not be shooting for 4 sec. 0-60 times, I would like to get something a little bit closer to super car status, which the car should have, but I already know that I can't afford to re-engineer the entire thing (who can?). The first order of business is to get everything sorted out and working at it's optimum capabilities using the stock parts. I know that there are a few things that I need to attend to. If that's not enough, then, well, we'll see what's next.

When the 944's models were first introduced, they were the cat's meow, very hot looking and were performance leaders in their respective market segments. I'm of the mind that they are still hot looking, but their performance needs a little upfixin'.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:41 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was talking to Campeck, since he thinks a good turbo conversion could be done without upgrading other parts of the car.

I saw Racer's Pyramid in the Fast and the Furious, perhaps 1 of the few things worth taking from that movie.

Does anybody know if a 968 head and intake would bolt in on an S2? I would think VarioCam would really wake up the car, as well as some judicious weight reduction.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:04 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yellowline.
yeah. but you would need the 968 DME as well.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:53 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scooter505
To get access to the spark plugs, how do you get the cap for each plug off the cam cover. Pull, twist or other? They're on pretty tight and I dont want to break anything by forcing it.
thx from the newb
PS My S2 is the first car I have owned where the spark plugs are not on the side of the motor.
Excellent first question. I can remember wondering about that myself.

Quick Reply: Excuse my ignorance..this may seem like a dumb question.