Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sonofabitch - f*cking crank front oil seal leaking AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 02:15 PM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you checked if the PCV system is clear? Is the crankcase is pressurizing, that often blows out seals.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:28 PM
spyderman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this exact same problem. the front seal on the crank would push right out and would leak everywhere. no matter what I did. the funny thing was it would sometimes do it right away when the car was started on the lift after replacing the seal, sometimes it wouldnt leak a drop for a month and then the seal would push out and it would leak everywhere. I tried everything, cleaned/checked the pcv system. even installed a new oil pump. that lasted about a month, then leaked again. I must have put in about 10 seals and they all do the same thing. is yours just leaking or is the seal walking out?
Old 11-25-2005, 02:32 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

If the sleeve is new and this is the 3rd one I would not waste my money ordering a new one. The only way they wear is by use. Take a good look at the crank, there has to be some kind of explanation.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:50 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

From what I can see behind the rear timing cover it doesn't look like the seal has popped out and the rate of leakage isn't that much. I drove it to work this morning (about 35 miles, all highway and fairly high-speed) and only saw one drip down the front of the pan, so it's not gushing, it's just dripping. There's got to be some kind of explaination for this. . .

Crank seems fine; it's not warped or anything.

I'm 100% sure the metal washer between the cambelt pulley and the drive sleeve/seal was installed.

This is just annoying as all getout. I have a spare oil pump assembly sitting around; maybe I'll just swap out the whole thing when I tear it down again next time. . .
Old 11-25-2005, 03:47 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Arrrgh, that's uber frustrating. Keep an eye on fluid levels...it may only be dripping when you're out of the car, but with the car running at higher RPM's and the system pressurized, it might be leaking a little more.

Is there any sort of gunk you can use on the next seal attempt? Maybe that will do the trick?
Old 11-25-2005, 03:56 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

That's why I tried the Yamabond on this install - on top of the usual stuff.

Oddly I think it's seeping a bit just sitting there, not just while running, but I'll have to verify this. It did NOT seep at all once I put the seal and sleeve in initially.

For now I'll just shove a sponge or rag (or socks!) between the back of the rear timing cover and the front of the pan to soak it up. I got some stuff to do on the '51 before I can tear this thing apart agiain. . . Parts should be here next week though. Again.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:01 AM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

We can make a party out of it...I need to do my waterpump ASAP. It's making some pretty scary noises and the shaft is wobbling like crazy.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:57 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Yea I'm down with that - I think I'm going to do the toys for tots run next weekend though but after that anytime is probably fine. . .
Old 01-11-2017, 08:31 PM
Roy Patterson
Intermediate

Has anyone found a solution my front crankshaft seal pops out with in a second of the engine starting and oil pours out.
I have been hunting a solution but none of the threads follow up just describe the problem. It is obvious to me that this is an inherent problem from the number of posts I have found on the web.
Not one so far says I found the problem and here is how to fix it.
Ready to replace the engine and put this one on the scrap pile with all the others, spun balance shaft, spun no. 2 rod bearing. The car should come with a warning label.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:41 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

There are 2 sizes for the front main seal, make sure you get the right one. It changed sometime in 83 or 84.

Both of the ones I've done have been a very tight fit and i had to actually make a basic press to fully seat them. I did the seal on my NA a few months ago and have a few thousand miles on it, not a drop of oil. It's highly improbable that your oil pump recess is out of round, so it must be the seal.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:51 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Did you check the OPVR seals and did you instal the OPVR with the correct tool? I've heard this happening due to damaged OPVR seals normally caused by incorrect alignment while fitting.

...and Micheal ^^ is right in that there are two seal sizes, 0.2mm difference between them.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:02 AM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I would think if it is the correct seal then there has to be too much oil pressure at the seal to push it out. What can cause high oil pressure? The OPRV, as mentioned above, controls the pressure so I would check to make sure it is working properly. A bad oil filter might be suspect also.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:25 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 148 Posts

Odonnell is correct, there are two distinct crankshaft seal sizes but the change occurred mid-84 (ask me how I know). If I remember correctly, the later seal is slighter larger; my engine was an early build date: Engine #: 43E06108.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:48 AM
kevin12973
Racer

Originally Posted by pfarah7
Odonnell is correct, there are two distinct crankshaft seal sizes but the change occurred mid-84 (ask me how I know). If I remember correctly, the later seal is slighter larger; my engine was an early build date: Engine #: 43E06108.
I had the same problem. Had the correct part but it was sub par quality. Didn't fit very tight in the housing. After 5 hours of driving it pushes out. Ordered a new seal from Porsche and it went in tight. Been perfect since. Moral of the story, only trust Genuine Porsche seals

Quick Reply: Sonofabitch - f*cking crank front oil seal leaking AGAIN!