Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my 944 gears won't dis/engage

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005 | 10:27 AM
camelot
Instructor

My clutch looked just like that and shifted fine. When I went to pick the car up the mechanic said "nothing out of the ordinary" That rubber is aged and I would say stood up pretty good for its age. With that disc like that you get excessive driveline play. When you take your foot off the gas you get a bump and the same going on . I would still investigate. Was there any rubber chunks in the pressure plate mayby hindering full release? Is the pilot brg dry and noisey maybe siezing occasionally?. If you turn that disc over and look at the "limp home lugs it will give you an idea of how long its been broken. Mine had hardly any burr at all on them. Do A search here on clutches there are some good examples of different wear. I'm not good at all on posting pic's but I did email a pic of mine to Andyk if he still has it. I had 97k on mine. Also you will not believe the difference in the new clutch. It will be like a different car. I still stall mine occasionally it grabs so low. Good luck.
Old 12-19-2005 | 09:04 AM
NineFourFourNeophyte
Advanced

Hey Calemot and everyone else,
just wanted to reply to your last post - there were no chunks of rubber any where else in there but i guess since the clutch was broken into two parts, what may have been happening was when the clutch pedal was pressed it would lock only part of the clutch while the other spun freely and never really allowed the gear to dis / engage completely, but that's just a guess.

i don't login everyday, but in checking rennlist this morning i did see someone who pulled out a clutch from an 83 i believe that is completely in tact. my guess is that the clutch could really last a long time if it is continually driven, but the car was parked up and was not a daily or even regular driver. i got the impression from the last owner it was driven about a dozen times a year or so and as a result the clutch just deteriorated.

my clutch job has grown beyond simple clutch and now my adventure is enveloping the entire drive train in some way or the other. hope i can post pics after my adventure if and when it is over.

thanks for the help so far.

nffn.

Quick Reply: my 944 gears won't dis/engage