Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reliability of the 944???

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005 | 01:12 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by sharky47
That's it - these cars are built to closer tolerances ......
No they are not. I don't know where you got this idea.

Porsche built all the cars to be top notch except when it comes to durability. Except for some but most of the parts are not built to last. I'm not sure if this was on purpose or not, but it would be nice if they had the realibility of a Honda. Ever noticed that usually it's the stupidest things that ends up breaking?
Old 11-16-2005 | 01:13 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator

Originally Posted by M758
Frankly I would not have a 944 or 951 or 968 as an ONLY car.

Too many "small" things can go wrong with these cars that will leave you stranded 3-4 days depending on how you choose to order parts. They are fun cars, very reliable for a sports car, but not for daily driving.
Old 11-16-2005 | 01:18 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

What the hay, buy two just incase!
Old 11-16-2005 | 01:19 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shepcam
Everything I have done is preventive maintaince or cosmetic.
Any single 15+ year old car (or even new) that is properly maintaned will preform like the factory wanted it to (this case, reliable, bullet proof tank )

Heck i check the tension on the timing belt once a week, since the car get's driven daily on heat, cold, traffic, highway, DE and regular fun on the street
Old 11-16-2005 | 02:21 AM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

My 951 has been very reliable for the last year and a lot of fun too! Be careful though you will get bit with the upgrade bug and it will get expensive real quick! I DD mine so it sees plenty of driving time. Only thing I have done is the normal maintenance items. I am now going through an upgrade phase, like new radiator, venturi delete, head light upgrade, drop links on the rear and coil overs on the rear. Bottom line if you take care of it, it will take care of you. Thats my experience any way...
Old 11-16-2005 | 04:57 AM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Imo000
No they are not. I don't know where you got this idea.

Porsche built all the cars to be top notch except when it comes to durability. Except for some but most of the parts are not built to last. I'm not sure if this was on purpose or not, but it would be nice if they had the realibility of a Honda. Ever noticed that usually it's the stupidest things that ends up breaking?
I won't deny 944's have their short comings, but as a whole, I think they stand up very well over time/heavy usage/miles. You can't take a twenty year old 944 and expect it to be as reliable as a new Honda. When you compare up the cars, year by year, the 944's combination of build quality, galvanized bodies and performance almost always puts it ahead of the rest. Look at most Hondas or Acuras from 1983 to 1991...most are crap by now. Most 911s or 944s of the same vintage are still in the early stages of their life.

I did notice the stupidest things (pick one) breaking, falling apart, not working on my Supra and RX-7 (both from 1988) but never on my Porsche. My 944 is more reliable than a lot of newer cars (10 years or less) owned by family and friends. In fact, a girl I went out with this summer asked me how I could afford a new Porsche. So yeah, i'd say they're pretty reliable, and hold up pretty damn well.
_____
Pat
86 944
95 Audi 90 CS
Old 11-16-2005 | 10:59 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by pcarfan944
I won't deny 944's have their short comings, but as a whole, I think they stand up very well over time/heavy usage/miles. You can't take a twenty year old 944 and expect it to be as reliable as a new Honda. When you compare up the cars, year by year, the 944's combination of build quality, galvanized bodies and performance almost always puts it ahead of the rest. Look at most Hondas or Acuras from 1983 to 1991...most are crap by now. Most 911s or 944s of the same vintage are still in the early stages of their life.

I did notice the stupidest things (pick one) breaking, falling apart, not working on my Supra and RX-7 (both from 1988) but never on my Porsche. My 944 is more reliable than a lot of newer cars (10 years or less) owned by family and friends. In fact, a girl I went out with this summer asked me how I could afford a new Porsche. So yeah, i'd say they're pretty reliable, and hold up pretty damn well.
_____
Pat
86 944
95 Audi 90 CS

Japanese manufacturers cheap out when it comes to the quality of steel. The body falls apart but the rest of the car keeps going. The US manufacturers on the other hand are the opposite, the body lasts but the drive train doesn’t. Of course there are exceptions but generally this seems to be the case. Porsche seems to concentrate on the quality and longevity of the body and drive train but all the subsequent systems don’t seemed to last.
Old 11-16-2005 | 11:03 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
Nothing wrong with that plan!
Old 11-16-2005 | 11:15 AM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

The reason I made the close tolerance comment is due to the manual - ever read it? It has a torque spec for EVERYTHING, My '84 Ford tow truck is not like that at all - you could put the entire thing together with an impact wrench.

I can't remember who said it, but I like this qoute - "everything on this car has a torque spec, go one ft/lb too loose and it leaks, go one ft/lb too much and it breaks, but if you do what the manual says - it works like a dream!"
Old 11-16-2005 | 09:23 PM
Joe Anstett
Racer

I have had mine for over two years. At least once a week (sometimes 2-3 times a week) I drive it to work -- about 80 miles round trip. It also sees track duty a couple times a year and a couple of autocrosses a couple times a year.

So far I have been stranded twice.
- Timing belt went after major overhaul (same day I picked it up from the shop. Lesson -- ALWAYS replace the belt when you take ownership).
- Coolant hose on bottom end of the block came unclamped and spewed all my coolant, but I couldn't get under it to determine that was the problem and got it towed.

I have been replacing/upgrading almost everything as appropriate. Always check the belts and hoses; always check the ball joins and the a-arms on the front suspension, they are a weak link on this car.
Old 11-16-2005 | 09:39 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
That plan failed so now i have three drivers and one parts car.
Old 11-16-2005 | 09:56 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Imo000
Japanese manufacturers cheap out when it comes to the quality of steel. The body falls apart but the rest of the car keeps going. The US manufacturers on the other hand are the opposite, the body lasts but the drive train doesn’t. Of course there are exceptions but generally this seems to be the case. Porsche seems to concentrate on the quality and longevity of the body and drive train but all the subsequent systems don’t seemed to last.
i know of several chevy trucks that beg to differ, 230k + miles on original engine and tranny
Old 11-17-2005 | 12:30 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If my 944 can survive on Montreal streets as it has this past summer, I can confidently say it's a reliable car!

I can also confidently say we have the most deteriorated roads in all of North America….. Mexico probably has better roads than we do.
Old 11-17-2005 | 07:28 AM
9444Alexis
Banned Pirate Queen
Lifetime Rennlist

My two cents are from a weird perspective:

The fact that my car "conned" me into taking it home and it ran kind rough and off, but it still took me everywhere I needed to go for a month....then it was parked. I took it to the shop only to find out everything was wrong with it! I have a good chunk of AMEX's money in it and there will be a lot more before it is completely out of the woods. A lot of cars with this much wrong wouldn't have gotten as far as this one. But, oh, when it breaks!! Anyone care to donate 10K????

I have a Honda Accord and a Dodge Durango <More Parts And Rust.....MOPAR people will be throwing things any second now.........:-)> and the Honda has been bulletproof. I can't say enough good about that car. The Dodge is trying to keep up with the Porsche though. So, any car well maintained is going to be at its most reliable, no matter the manufacturer. The Porsche has different characteristics that are going to require more awareness, especially if you plan on really running it. Most people aren't going to be taking Hondas out on the track after 20 years of age. It really comes down to the uses of the car and the stress you put on it. More stress, more breakage!

Enjoy your car and don't look a gift reliable DD in the mouth!!

Quick Reply: Reliability of the 944???