Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Fluid Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 02:33 PM
RI Fast Eddie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Fluid Leak

I have a moderate break fluid leak coming from the right rear outside bleeder valve on my '89 S2. I am planning on bleeding the breaks and putting the current fluid back in. The breaks were recently bled by a Porsche mechanic in prep of a drivers ed event that never happened due to rain. I am hoping that they just must not have tightened the screw enough. Does anyone have any other thougths on what could cause a leak in the bleeder valve? (PS - I am just starting to due my own work on the car and this will be my first break bleed.)
Old 11-13-2005, 04:28 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 173 Posts

Replacement bleed screws are available from Paragon Products and others. The tightening torque spec on these screws is actually quite low (6-9 ft. lbs. according to factory manual). The calipers are aluminum, so risk of stripping threads is present.

What makes you think it's leaking? It's common to get a little bit of fluid coming out from under the rubber cap after bleeding. Brake fluid has a tendency to get everywhere it can.

Also, for a couple of dollars more it's well worth getting in the habit of only putting new fluid in. If it's just a partial bleed to quickly switch the screw out, then I agree it's okay to kinda just re-use a small bit of fluid.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:32 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 173 Posts

Almost forgot... If you're going to get in the habit of bleeding often, the Motive Power Bleeder is the hot set-up. If it's just an occasional thing, perhaps someone in the area can loan theirs to you.

No commercial interest, just a happy customer, blah blah blah.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:32 PM
RI Fast Eddie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dave. I think the leak is a little more than just the normal drip. I have seen a couple of small puddles under the right rear and have had to add fluid (idiot light came on) twice.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:52 PM
robmeister951
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would take it back to the mechanic that did the work previously and ask him about it. Also, reusing the old fluid is not advisable, fresh fluid is a couple of bucks annyway. I agree with Dave, Motive Power Bleeder is the only way to bleed brakes, makes it so much easier and faster.

Cheers
Rob
Sydney Australia

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Leak