Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outcome looking good!(944 related, eventually)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005 | 10:20 PM
944kid
Banned

Default Outcome looking good!(944 related, eventually)

I felt like getting out of the house today, so I went for a ride on my mountain bike (been clocked at 35+mph on that beast.) Not a very good day to go out, so I thought I'd go see my friend with her 944.(see sig)

I get there, and we start talking about it. She says that it hasn't been started in over a year and doesn't know what to do that will make it...(new battery, maybe? that one's at least sat through one winter...don't think just jumping it will work, but okay. ) So, she says she wants it gone. I was disappointed, however she said I can have it.

At that point I about peed myself, but I kept it together. Free, no strings attached. I'm floored. But that's not all, she'll even sign it over as a gift, so I don't have to pay some taxes on it.

Now after months of reading about peoples' experiences with these cars, good and bad, I know that this may or may not be so great. Originally, this car was going to be sold to me for $2500. It was never officially for sale to begin with. That was two years ago. Now after working for about a year and a half, I can afford that and the insurance. Now I have the opportunity to get it for nothing.

Now I have to break the news to mom. I'm still expecting a battle because she's easily scared by this kind of stuff.(I can hear it now,"Gosh, a free Porsche; there must be something horribly wrong with it." ) Okay, even if there are repairs( I'm guessing waterpump, definitely belts, new coolant, oil, tyres,battery, no surprise there... .) That still wouldn't sum up to the original cost of the car. The cost I've been preparing for.

My question is, what should I expect. (I do know it ran before it was stored, but I'm not going to get my hopes too high.) Also, if I don't act within a month, this car goes to George B, aka 944ecology about 15 miles north of me. That's not as bad as getting completely junked, but that means it will probably get parted out. That would suck.

-the kid

Last edited by 944kid; 11-11-2005 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-11-2005 | 10:28 PM
Daily944
Racer

Find out if any of the maintenance was up to date. If not, expect to change the timing and balance belts(not too expensive if you to it yourself) and a battery. Its really hard to judge, but I'm sure you will find out more when a smog check is required.

Also be careful of her signing it over as a 'gift'(they take an average of bluebook and tax that way).. here in California the 'gift' tax is worse then just putting a lower then purchased price. Check with your local DMV office to find out for sure, or even check out their website. If its not running, she could easily put a really small amount, and it would still be legal. (like say $500, and then your local sales tax on that).

Thats really nice of her, I think you will enjoy it.
Old 11-11-2005 | 10:34 PM
944kid
Banned

Well, McFly:

She is a certified accountant, so I'm sure she knows something I don't. Doubt she'd do that if it were going to be higher as a gift. I'll see what's out there on the DMV website.

-the kid
Old 11-11-2005 | 10:46 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

let me get this straight...she is willing to give you 944 that ran before it was put away. Am I missing something? Is it missing both fenders, do rabid possums live in the back seat? If you know anything about these cars go for it. If it ran when she parked it, it will run again. If itpuked a rod or coughs coolant at the head run fast. This is a golden opportunity to get a 944 for free and you worry about our collective opinion? Youth, what can you say?

Last edited by KuHL 951; 11-11-2005 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-11-2005 | 10:50 PM
944kid
Banned

Yup Steve, it is a complete car, save for the radio, which resides in the back seat.(not possums) Hey, the baseball sized dent in the driver's side fender don't count either, that will buff right out. No puked rods, no coughin up coolant. Cool, huh?

-the kid
Old 11-11-2005 | 10:51 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You will be in heaven the first time you drive that car. I promise you.
Old 11-11-2005 | 11:01 PM
944kid
Banned

Oh, What kind of battery will this beast require? Are the terminals the same on all batterys?

Because if they are, scratch that first question, my buddy's got a battery I can borrow.

-the kid

Last edited by 944kid; 11-11-2005 at 11:11 PM. Reason: "scrtach" -yeah, my dumb ass can't spell
Old 11-11-2005 | 11:04 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I don't remember what numbers you need for a 944 battery, but no, not all batteries are the same...
Old 11-11-2005 | 11:31 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

First of all, congrats!

June 6, 2004 is a day I won't forget, it was the day I got my 944. It was a 16 year old's dream come true.

Batteries are unfortunately a special size for these cars. The local Napa had mine in-stock, but at a steep price (~$100). A Napa battery is fine, they're made by Exide, who supplies Sears Diehards and many other good names. Ask them if they have the cross-referenced battery, and make sure to measure it against the one in the car. DO NOT buy a battery not recommended for this car, you run the risk of it hitting the hood or windshield frame and possibly arcing. Don't trust the plastic cover, just get the battery with proper clearance.

Next, take a look at doing the balance/timing belts. Replace if they're due for it or are more than about 3 years old. I don't know if I'd trust a car with belts that sat for a year, SoCalDriver has said that they set and will break when forced to run again. You have the option of paying $550 for the factory specialty tools, learning how to do them, and being able to do free belt jobs for as long as you have the car. You can also get the Arnnworx (?) tool for significantly less, never used it though. Wouldn't recommend checking belt tension by twist.

Should keep you busy for awhile. Keep it under about 4k and avoid fast revving until you're confident about the timing belt...you can still have plenty of fun with it at a moderate speed, trust me.
Old 11-11-2005 | 11:33 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ian,

That is amazing! You are very lucky, you have a $2500 head start on that car, and if it was running before it was parked, then you should be able to get it running for considerably less than that.

Battery is 12V 50-63 amp-hr

Before you start it up, take a good hard look for records of when the timing belt was last addressed. I would not be surprised if it was many years ago, and the condition of the rubber can be very suspect. As it sounds like it is close to you, I would suggest have it flat bedded over to your place, do the belts and water pump (and general tune up items like wires, plugs, flush with new coolant, new oil and filter). THEN put a new battery in and see where you're at. You've been gathering up info from here, so you'll have a head start.

Congratulations, I'm sure it is a reflection on your enthusiasm and good character that this lady has offered the car to you for free. You're gonna love the experience.
Old 11-11-2005 | 11:39 PM
spedracer18
Racer

For $100 dont buy the napa, go to batteries plus and buy an optima red top. I have used a bunch of different batteries in all different sorts of cars, but nothing beats the optima. they run steeper, like 120 or so when i bought mine in May. just my two cents...
Old 11-11-2005 | 11:45 PM
944kid
Banned

yellowline-good info, thanks. This goes to everyone else who has posted, and will post, but it's a given, now you know.

Allan,

50 amp-hr is stock,(I think) wasn't the 63 amp-hr the optional,and also better?
Originally Posted by amjf088
Congratulations, I'm sure it is a reflection on your enthusiasm and good character that this lady has offered the car to you for free.
That's really nice.

-the kid
Old 11-11-2005 | 11:52 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

If you are close enough, I would skip the tow job, just don't drive it hard. People act a like the timing belts are made from tissue paper. If it ran last year it will run this year unless weasels have been nibbling on the belt. As said above, you now have a car with a $2500 head start. Learn to make your own repairs and read all you can about these cars. The info is out there. About the insurance, my youngest son drove the 83 and his liability only insurance was less than an 88 Acura...just because it says Porsche doesn't mean they will sting you. It's the comprehensive coverage that hurts. A free car doesn't need comp.
Old 11-11-2005 | 11:59 PM
944kid
Banned

Well Steve, and everyone else,

About insurance. Tuesday I went to State Farm for a quote(they were closest.) $3300 as of now, this is without Driver's Ed or Defensive Driving. It would be $2800 with those. I think I need to have them adjust that, your liability only bit makes the most sense. I also remember reading in the forums here that "some of these cars are so cheap, you can go out and buy another one." Even though I'm a bit offended by that, for the most part, it is true.

-the kid
Old 11-13-2005 | 10:05 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944kid
Well Steve, and everyone else,

About insurance. Tuesday I went to State Farm for a quote(they were closest.) $3300 as of now, this is without Driver's Ed or Defensive Driving. It would be $2800 with those. I think I need to have them adjust that, your liability only bit makes the most sense. I also remember reading in the forums here that "some of these cars are so cheap, you can go out and buy another one." Even though I'm a bit offended by that, for the most part, it is true.

-the kid
How does that $2800 quote break down:

collision
liability (and how much)
towing
fire/theft
glass
uninsured motorist coverage

Quick Reply: Outcome looking good!(944 related, eventually)