Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HEAD: How much shaved = how much compression ratio?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 09:10 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by david fracolli
As an FYI with .045 removed my cam timing was retarded by almost 3 degrees.
So, did you purchase an adjustable cam gear to back this off? What gains did you notice from running 10.7/1?

PS, nice to see that you moved from "HELL" to upstate NY, the climate must be far better there. The 968 clock I bought from you looks great in my car, BTW. Thanks for being so easy to deal with.........
Old 11-08-2005, 09:22 AM
Skunk Workz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tod84944
The reason for the 951 head, according to Jim Pasha, the 951 head flows so much better, and more than the 944 head.
The 951 head flows worse than the 944NA head...only place it has a gain is up to 6mm valve lift. After that the 944 head outflows it... the reason for any gain when using the 951 head would probably be that it has a better shaped exhaust port as stock...
Old 11-08-2005, 09:23 AM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, actually I did purchase an adjustable cam gear. The cam that I was running had quite a bit of duration so torqure was pretty non exsistant below 3,000 rpm. Retarding the cam 3 dgrees made things even worse. The engine pulled great all the way to red line but had nothing under 3,500 rpm. Great for a track car but it sucked on the street. I ended up running the cam 4 degrees advanced to help bring the torque curve back down.
I have no idea what just rasing the compression did as I did it at the same time i installed the cam. I will say though that even with the aftermarket cam I still very light pinging with 91 octane in the summer.
Happy you are enjoying the clock and you are welcome. I have a feeling though that come Jan. or Feb. that I am going to wish I was back in hell. Minus 30F is not my idea of good weather.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:30 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, actually I did purchase an adjustable cam gear. The cam that I was running had quite a bit of duration so torqure was pretty non exsistant below 3,000 rpm. Retarding the cam 3 dgrees made things even worse. The engine pulled great all the way to red line but had nothing under 3,500 rpm. Great for a track car but it sucked on the street. I ended up running the cam 4 degrees advanced to help bring the torque curve back down.
I have no idea what just rasing the compression did as I did it at the same time i installed the cam. I will say though that even with the aftermarket cam I still very light pinging with 91 octane in the summer.
Happy you are enjoying the clock and you are welcome. I have a feeling though that come Jan. or Feb. that I am going to wish I was back in hell. Minus 30F is not my idea of good weather.
Thanks for the info. Was it a JME cam? Do you remember which one it was?
Old 11-08-2005, 09:41 AM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

It was a custom made cam from Elgin. I don't remember the exact specs but IIRC the lift was stock, the duration was 230 at .050 lift and it had around 50 degrees of overlap.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:45 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate to throow a wrench into this but the 944 cylinder head is not symetrical. What I mean is that the first .010 inches removed will reduce the volume of the head by 2cc but the next .010 will only reduce the volume by 1.8cc.
When I did by N/A engine I used the 88 10.2/1 pistons and had my head shaved .045 inches. The mesured compression ration was a tad over 10.7/1.
When I had the headwork done I had my machinest measure the stock head and then remeasure the volume after every .010 inches removed. If I can find the information I will post it but it might take a while to find as this was done over 4 years ago.
I wanted to remove .060 inches but was not able to go more than .045 due to piston to valve clearance problems since I was running an aftermarket cam. As an FYI with .045 removed my cam timing was retarded by almost 3 degrees.
I realize that the head will taper in a bit with planing, but I had assumed that it would be a relatively minor effect.

Dave, since you are working from memory, is there any chance that you may be remembering the measurement units wrong? If I run the numbers for planing 0.045" and getting a 10.7:1 CR, I calculate a cylinder head combustion chamber diameter of 62 mm, which just doesn't seem reasonable. HOWEVER, if I calculate CR using a planing value of 0.45 mm (NOT 0.045"), I calculate a CR of 10.71:1, which sounds very close to your measured CR.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:44 PM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

I am 100% positive that the amount of material removed was .045 inch. The reasons I remember is that one I was there when the work was done and 2 I had been told by numerous people that the maximum you can safely remove with the stock cam was .060 inch.
I have said this in the past and I will say it again, the only way to be 100% sure what the actual compression ratio iis is to measure everything. This means cc'ing each combustion chamber, deck height, gasket thickness and the dish in each piston.
I think if more people did this they would be very surprised at what the actual compression ratiio was compared to what they calculated it to be.
The following users liked this post:
dramis85 (04-17-2020)

Quick Reply: HEAD: How much shaved = how much compression ratio?