Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OPRV tight?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 10:19 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Jeff, post a picture if you can.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:44 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie
Ken,
I agree, there is probably 2 O-rings, one at the top and one at the bottom. Having never had mine apart I have not seen the bottom one.
I'm curious, how do you take it apart and but it back together. When I was having oil pressure problems I took mine out several times, it all came out as one piece.
I wonder if Jeff's is all one piece.
Like I said too, I've never taken the one that I have apart. Maybe I should go try it out (its sitting as a spare OPRV in one of my parts cabinents). I've never needed to put it in. I've always been able to clean up the regular 3pc unit, and get it to work just fine. I always wonder just how many people are replacing these 3pc valves with one pc. valves, when they really don't have to. I would guess that one could just crimp the nut end in a vise, and work the valve itself back and forth till it comes out of the nut end. There should be a fair amount of resistance because of that lower O-ring being in there snug ( I would imagine).

I've also noticed that no one ever talks about the bushing that fits into the engine block that these OPRV's slide into. I also know from TSB's and the FSM, that it is VERY important that this bushing is seated fully into the block, and not loose, as a low/no oil pressure condition could and can result if not followed.

"I really cant remember now if the begining of the threads were tapered. I hope they didnt send me the wrong valve. Would this be causeing the resistance? The part number on the bag was correct, but I guess that doesnt mean much does it. Well see. Thanks for the replys."

Well, is it installed, so ya can't look at it anymore? If it is installed, then it probably was the correct one.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:28 AM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Granite 944

Well, is it installed, so ya can't look at it anymore? If it is installed, then it probably was the correct one.
Well, the problem was and still is that It is very hard to turn to put in. Its about 1/4 inch away from being fully in. I stopped torquing it down because it was providing so much resistance, Im worried that im doing something wrong. Like I said, the housing is aligned correctly and it seems that im not crossthreading it. I will pull it out tommarow and make sure I recieved the right valve.

-Jeff

Quick Reply: OPRV tight?