Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad battery tray corrosion holes/leaks.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 03:35 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

here's the deal... you can buy the best 3500 psi epoxy adhesive resin money can buy, (i still have 2 litres of devcon plastic welder unopened) but, it simply isn't necessary.... it's not so much about bondo vs polyester resin vs epoxy resin vs a good plastic welder. all you need to do is make up a really 'sticky mix' of polyester resin. save your money. the stuff is cheap and if you make it up properly it can be made to last a long, long time and be very strong....

first, you need to remove at least about 98 % of the rust. why not all the rust? cuz the chance you'll be owning the car 30 years from now is about nil, and the proper use of resin will significantly retard any further rusting... next, fence off the area you want to fill with plenty of tape.... next, what you want to do is combine your liquid resin with bondo jelly or straight bondo and mixing in a little bondo hair or cutting up 4~6 oz. glass into like, 1" X 1/4" strands and mixing it in.....next, cover two putty knives with masking tape and put on your gloves... make up a mixture that pours slowly.... and add just 3~4 drops of liguid catalyst and about 3 peas worth of cream catalyst for each pint of mix....

cover a large screwdriver with masking tape. using the screwdriver, mix vigorously for 3 minutes and apply...

work the resin into all extremities of the coverage area with your fingers.

remove the tape from your screwdriver putty knives, remove your gloves and clean up your hands and tools with rubbing alcohol and shop towels. go grab a few beers and turn on speed tv. come back in 3 hours to make sure your resin is setting up..... if your mix isn't setting up, grab your spotlight or heat gun. your slow hardening mix will rock your world.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:43 PM
Perculator00
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
here's the deal... you can buy the best 3500 psi epoxy adhesive resin money can buy, (i still have 2 litres of devcon plastic welder unopened) but, it simply isn't necessary.... it's not so much about bondo vs polyester resin vs epoxy resin vs a good plastic welder. all you need to do is make up a really 'sticky mix' of polyester resin. save your money. the stuff is cheap and if you make it up properly it can be made to last a long, long time and be very strong....

first, you need to remove at least about 98 % of the rust. why not all the rust? cuz the chance you'll be owning the car 30 years from now is about nil, and the proper use of resin will significantly retard any further rusting... next, fence off the area you want to fill with plenty of tape.... next, what you want to do is combine your liquid resin with bondo jelly or straight bondo and mixing in a little bondo hair or cutting up 4~6 oz. glass into like, 1" X 1/4" strands and mixing it in.....next, cover two putty knives with masking tape and put on your gloves... make up a mixture that pours slowly.... and add just 3~4 drops of liguid catalyst and about 3 peas worth of cream catalyst for each pint of mix....

cover a large screwdriver with masking tape. using the screwdriver, mix vigorously for 3 minutes and apply...

work the resin into all extremities of the coverage area with your fingers.

remove the tape from your screwdriver putty knives, remove your gloves and clean up your hands and tools with rubbing alcohol and shop towels. go grab a few beers and turn on speed tv. come back in 3 hours to make sure your resin is setting up..... if your mix isn't setting up, grab your spotlight or heat gun. your slow hardening mix will rock your world.

odurandina,

What do you think about POR 15? I have been really thinking to try out the starter kit they offer:

http://www.por15.com/SUPER-STARTER-K...ductinfo/SSKB/
Old 10-28-2011, 12:19 PM
JnJNY
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand that you have posed the question to another member. Just though I would add my experience with POR15.

Over the years I have used POR 15 products on a variety of cars and trucks. Even on a metal storage building. All with great results. Follow the directions and you will be happy with POR 15.

Quick Reply: Bad battery tray corrosion holes/leaks.