Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Searching for water leaks in interior

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 02:14 AM
fmalgapo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Searching for water leaks in interior

Particularly towards the front of the car. I seem to have lots of old waterstains, but can't seem to find the source of a leak there. I realized this the hard way aftermy replacement DME(which replaced a water damaged DME) is now dead aftersome recent rain we had.

I purchased a new DME, but would rather not lose this one as well. Can you point out where the most common leaks are in the cabin on a 944 '83-'85 vintage

PS: Ive already changed both door seals and awaiting replacement sunroof seals.

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2005, 02:25 AM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Usually water leaks onto the DME from a corroded battery tray. Check underneath the battery for rust or faulty previous repair. Also clean out the drain for the battery tray while you are in there, if it is clogged with leaves (common), then it will not drain water properly.

While unlikely, it could be leaking water in through the hole for the harness that is cut in the firewall. In this case, you will need to replace the grommet.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:52 AM
fmalgapo
Instructor

There is slight rust in the battery tray, but nothing crazy - my car is parked at such a weird angle, water settles and falls back toward the windshield rather than out of the drain grommet. Do you suppose I can cut open the grommet flap that releases the water from the rain tray.

Is there any other possible places...
I have pics of my corrosion under the dash...

Old 11-03-2005, 05:47 PM
fmalgapo
Instructor

anyone?
Old 11-03-2005, 06:23 PM
my84-944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a LOT of rust for under your dash. Looks like rust in your fuse box too.

Take your battery out and invest in some sealer, brush on or even spray. Even if you do not THINK it is leaking there. This is a KNOWN problem so an ounce of prevention...
Test the hell out of your water proofing. I recommend a flower water can; you know the kind that look like a portable shower. If you have some water sailable coloring maybe that will help you see it once it starts to leak. Make sure it is not food coloring or dye based or it will stain.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:51 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked the sunroof seals or is it definately coming in under the dash? You may want to take weed-whacker line and clear out the drain holes in the sunroof (2 on the A pillar and 2 on the c). Don't use anything too firm or you'll break them off.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:02 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

About the only way you can get an early DME wet is to fill the car with water. It's mounted under the steering column right above the knees not inside behind the passengers foot rest under the battery.

Doesn't mean that the drivers side basin can't have a hole in it. Seen on where a seal came off of a 3/16" dia. hole but that was right over the clutch pedal. Your foot would get wet when you pressed in the clutch.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:08 PM
Dales944
Burning Brakes

SoCal beat me to it! You could have a 6" sqare hole in the battery tray, you're DME will NOT get wet from it - one of the benefits of an early car.

Have someone else with a hose squirt water at various parts of the car while you sit inside looking around - you'll find the leak fast.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:59 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Wonder if the DME was from a later car.

Water can come in around the fresh air blower if the drain is plugged from leaves (and candy wrappers). Have to keep these clean. The drain is one way to keep the engine vapors out of the fresh air blower. If you remove the rubber flappers you could get CO'd and crash.

Still water intrusion through the fresh air blower would just flood the floor. Not close enough to the DME.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:39 AM
fmalgapo
Instructor

Well i did notice water isnt getting to the drain from the angle its parked at, it seems to be leaning towards the back of the car in the driver side rain tray. What lies behind there in its tracks, the fresh air vent? Then if so, water is def. leaking into my footwell vents.

Last edited by fmalgapo; 11-04-2005 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:03 AM
Mello
Rennlist Member

I just noticed a leak in my car. When it rains, water drips in the driver footwell, landing on the footrest to the left of the clutch pedal. Anyone want to guess where its coming from before I try to figure it out?
Old 11-04-2005, 02:42 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After I fixed the battery tray with fibre glass, it was still leaking. Turned out there were two holes drilled in the body: next to the battery, on the path of water flowing from the drainage tube from the roof. Fixing these holes finally made my car dry! These holes might have been for riveting a tab or something. Just look if you see similar holes. And I assume you don't have any holes under the battery...
Old 11-04-2005, 03:15 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Could the windshield seal be letting water in at the bottom of the window and running behind the dash?
Old 11-04-2005, 04:04 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RMills944
Have you checked the sunroof seals
Never under-estimate the power of a slowly/sneeky/snively leaking sunroof. Most people (from my experience and from others on the board) swear theres isn't leaking to later find out it is. Rule this out for sure.

Hope you find it!

Good Luck,
Cory
Old 11-04-2005, 05:11 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mello
I just noticed a leak in my car. When it rains, water drips in the driver footwell, landing on the footrest to the left of the clutch pedal. Anyone want to guess where its coming from before I try to figure it out?

Check the sides of the fuse/relay box under the hood. Sometimes stereo and alarm installers drill holes in the sides to run wires through. A clogged drain will let that side fill up. Could also be a bad seal between the body and the box. Can't recall if it's the 3M black putty or a real seal.

The later 944's have two drains on each side. One the rubber flapper going into the engine compartment and another slot over by the fender. The slot fills with crud first.

Quick Reply: Searching for water leaks in interior