Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nutserts to fix broken captive nuts inside frame rail?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 06:25 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Nutserts to fix broken captive nuts inside frame rail?

Mr Murphey has struck me again

It seems one of the welded nuts inside the frame rail for the sway bar mounts has broken off. The bolt just spins around, I cant get it tight or loose. Im quite adverse to hacking open the frame rail. I think I could reach it with a wrench with the front bumper off to get it loose, since im assuming theres a hole in the tip of the rail like there is in the back. Or hack the head of the bolt off and shove both up into the rail then pull out with a magnet.

Im thinking a Nutsert will work as a replacement? Anyone used one? Ive found a few sites that have them in M8 metric.

http://www.avdel.textron.com/product.../thin_sert.htm

Damn Murphey. Burnt valves in the head, buggered valve seat, ruined original crankshaft, lots of stripped threads, this... I should stop buying lotto tickets, its obvious im never going to win.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:38 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well...

You may be able to do that, but it is kind of pricey to buy the setting tool, arbor, and such for only one hole. I myself would likely take a plate, drill the proper holes, weld a couple nuts on it, and weld it to the rail. I tend to be able to do those sorts of involved fixs, though.

It's always something, eh!
Old 10-29-2005, 09:56 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well that was strange. The threads on the bolt itself got completly stripped off. No threads at all, so it couldnt grab to back out. One last try, and it just managed to grab and come out. The nut in the frame rail is fine.

Even so, I might order one of these up anyway.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NUTSE...spagenameZWDVW

Quick Reply: Nutserts to fix broken captive nuts inside frame rail?