Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

late dash into early car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 12:16 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using a proper testing plan there is no reason to go 'through' trial and error. 'Some' of us have learned to test then fix. Not take a WAG at it. When are you getting your keyboard shift keys fixed?
Old 10-31-2005, 12:24 AM
ILOVEMY944
Advanced

well nobody around here can seem to figure out wut it is. if i have fuel and spark it should work. but it doesnt. ive tried everything that "some" of u have told me and i had many other mechanics try it. ive tested everything to spec. i have the haynes maual and i did the whole thing on clarks garage and still nothing. my dad works at a volkswagen dealership and he is lost. we have double and triple tested everything. if ne body can tell me how to fix it or wut the problem is witout trial and error i would gravel at ur feet. ive had this car for 4 years now and ive done all the work on it and its never done this before so i am clueless. wuts wrong wit my shift keys?
Bryan
Old 10-31-2005, 03:32 AM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

What's wrong with your shift keys is that that you never capitalize the start of your sentences and it's hard to read.

On a more helpful note I'm certain someone did this. I can't for the life of me remember his name right now but he has an early N/A. It's blue, has a hood scoop and he drifts it. His screen name might be ryans944 or something like that. Lemme do a search and get back to ya.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:20 AM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Ok, I'm pretty sure his user name is simply "ryans" and his initial threads when he joined Rennlist discussed putting a late dash in an early car.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:42 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

You have been given great advice. Most have fixed their 944 using it. Why you haven't is a good question.

I think your cryptic short hand and failure to use proper grammer may be a clue. Finding and fixing problems in a 944 requires full concentration. There are no short cuts.

Don't blame others for your inability to follow directions.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:04 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Bryan,
I don't have any helpful hints on installing the later dash, but where there's a will, there's a way. It certainly sounds like you have the will, so go for it. I personally wouldn't bother, but you seem to love the car and really want to do this so just give it a shot. If you get overwhelmed you can always put the old dash back in and pretend nothing happened.

I recommend customizing and fabricating your way around a lot of the issues. For example, don't bother swapping trannies, just make something to hold your old gauges in the new instrument cluster opening. And you can get flex ducting from home depot to reroute air ducts and whatever. Like I said, I have no experience with a dash swap, but I've been through some jobs that needed creativity. Don't forget to get door panels too (easy swap), and a center console. You will need a new shifter (or at least the boot).

BTW: Don't late 944s have lower steering wheels? How would this be accounted for???

Good Luck,
Old 10-31-2005, 01:12 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't let them get to you. It would be helpful if you wrote nice sentences though .

Whenever my 944 decides not to start, I check these things:
*Is my AFM plugged in?
*Are my 2 crank sensors plugged in? Are they connected vice versa? This one is a toughie - try borrowing a couple replacements to see if they help.
*Is my timing belt in sync.?
*There are a million other things I could list but those are the first things I check.

Keep at it
Old 10-31-2005, 02:57 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

AMAF??? Is that you?
Old 10-31-2005, 04:58 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ILOVEMY944
well im sorry for titleing it wrong
I meant that as a joke as it may be "easier" to build an early car around a late dash as opposed to the other way around.

If you have the ambition I'd say go for it. If you are successful when this topic comes up again you can be the difinitive expert on what is involved and whether or not you'd do it all over again. You also may fabricate some parts to make the conversion easier for others attempting the same and then you may have a cottage industry on your hands!

Good luck!
Old 10-31-2005, 11:00 PM
ILOVEMY944
Advanced

Sorry every one i will try adn write my sentences better. Its just how i type. Im just a 19 year old kid who is in love with porsches and i dont really worry about to much else so i will try and work on that.
Its not that i dont know what i am doing but i am still no expert and still need come advice and tips from you more experienced guys. So far everything checks to specs. but some one came threw and they live around here and they also have an early so were going to try swappin some parts out so hopefully soon she will be up and running!!! yay! i miss driving her...
Bryan
Old 11-03-2005, 01:32 AM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

"amaf is that you?"

That was tight, but funny as hell.. Sheesh...
Old 11-03-2005, 01:49 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey if someone can put the 944 dash in a golf, i'm sure it's easier in a 944.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:40 PM
ILOVEMY944
Advanced

haha yeah i would guess soo. I need to take the dash out any ways because im going to be redoing mostly all of my electric because i think that could be the reason why it wont start. maybe ill go get a newer dash for the hell of it and just see what i can do with it. It wont hurt to just look. if i find anything out ill let every one updated.
Bryan
Old 11-03-2005, 09:50 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Parts Car!!!

Quick Reply: late dash into early car?