Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

explain door locks

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005 | 03:05 PM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

Question explain door locks

My electric door locks work like a champ, until it starts raining. Unfortunately car is not garaged. Here's my problem: using key unlocking either door, I turn key, door unlocks, but before I can get the key back to center so i can remove the key the door LOCKS. Here's whats happening when inside trying to get out: doors are unlocked car running, i turn off car ignition, doors lock, lock button on console has no effect with ignition off, so i have to turn ignition back on hold unlock button on console until i get the door opened.
This only happens when it rains, any ideas how to troubleshoot this ?
Old 10-25-2005 | 03:21 PM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

sounds like you have the factory alarm and it is getting wet and causing some of your goofyness. you could try bypassing the alarm module (found in another thread on the forum and maybe clarks-garage.com) see if that fixes your problem. you should also check for water around your ecu in the passenger footwell. if there is check under your battery and see if you have some holes. you might also have to cycle the locks with your key from outside the car after you bypass the alarm module to get both doors on the same cycle. that's my guess with the info given....
Old 10-25-2005 | 04:55 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Sounds odd...but completely Porsche®

The central locking brain is attached under the steering column.
But if I were you, I would pull the central switch(red led one), clean it's contacts. Plug it back in.
Then pluck the door cover off and perform this test while watching the solenoid work the door lock. Find a place to do this while or after the rain(car wash stall, underground garage...etc) so that you can see if you have fluid coming in onto any major operating components. It could be the passenger door, it could be the drivers door, or it could be a combo of both.
Old 10-25-2005 | 07:25 PM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

I think its possessed! Once i finally get in it won't let me out!!!! I probably just need to tear up a ten dollar bill everytime i want in/out. Thanks I am going to try the console switch, its common to the whole problem, but its dry, so figure.
Old 10-26-2005 | 09:39 AM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

rain stopped...door locks back to normal...this should be lots of fun!
Old 10-26-2005 | 12:56 PM
spieln
Rennlist Member

My guess would be the micro switches attached to your lock cylinders or maybe a short in the wire that runs to them. Rain water could be getting past the outside window squeegee and shorting these out. You could simulate this by just running water on the window and see how it affects it.

Have you tried unlocking the door from the passenger side? Might help determine which side you need to work on.
Old 10-26-2005 | 02:47 PM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

both doors act the same, i don't recall this happening after a wash, good idea thou
Old 10-26-2005 | 02:53 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Does it have a factory alarm installed?
Old 10-26-2005 | 02:59 PM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

yes, but when i purchased the car i didn't receive a key. It also has a viper alarm system with remote start etc. While the viper system works or did, i don't use it. Maybe i should test it when it rains just to see what happens. Thanks for another good idea.
Old 10-26-2005 | 03:13 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Well as mentioned before, I would check to see if the factory car alarm is disabled or not. Check 35thSLP's post above.

Quick Reply: explain door locks