Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left front brake caliper is sticky

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 11:45 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Left front brake caliper is sticky

It seems like my driver's side front brake caliper is sticking a bit after I let off the brake pedal. Does this mean I need to rebuild the caliper?

If so, how difficult is this job and where can I find a kit for an S2?
Old 10-26-2005, 08:45 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

It may not require a caliper rebuild - but that would be the best thing to do if you have a lot of miles on the car and the brakes have not been properly maintained.

You may have a pad that is hanging up or the housing may not be sliding as it is supposed to. The best thing to do would be to have a good look at the caliper and look for evidence of wear or restricted movement.

From there you should be able to determine if parts need to be replaced or maybe just lubricated. If nothing is obvious - a caliper rebuild would be in order. Most any parts supply house will have the kits needed to rebuild your calipers. (Yes - calipers! Don't do just the left side).
Old 10-26-2005, 10:13 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Scott,

Thanks for the reply!

I remember having some trouble installing the pads (search my frantic requests for help on the archives) but I did this during the Spring season. It's been getting really bad lately where I can feel the brake dragging when I first begin accelerating.

I'll take a look at it to make sure nothing is blocking the path of the pad. But the car does now have 122k so the parts may just be worn out. Otherwise you mention any of the parts houses have the rebuild kits but when I check Paragon and Pelican I only see kits for the other NA Porsches, not the S2.

I'll make sure the same treatment is applied to all of the brakes and not just the left side!

Thanks again...
Old 10-26-2005, 10:54 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

You might want to call and get personal advice on the parts. According to my AutoAtlanta catalog - they show the S2 and Turbo to have similar brakes. Try this P/N and see if it matches what you are looking for: 951 352 919 10.

Additionally, it looks as though you have 4 pot, fixed calipers. If this is the case - forget about my comments regarding the housing not sliding. You wouldn't want that on a fixed caliper!

Most likely you've got a piston or two that are not working in unison. In which case you will definitely want to rebuild. Check those pistons closely - Vertex lists their rebuild kits to include the piston. Maybe this is an area of concern (high wear?).

Best of luck.

Quick Reply: Left front brake caliper is sticky