Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 interior upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 08:45 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about being ergonomically bad...the only objection I have to mine is that the radio is impossible to work if you're in 1st or 3rd. The AC switch is a little weird, but the rest of it is merely OK. The switchgear feels cheap, though...

My general observation is that the driver's seat of the 944 is the most comfortable I've been in a car. I just sat in it, it feels so natural...the wheel falls right to hand, the seat bolsters (early sport) fit me perfectly, the pedals are spaced slightly too wide, but I don't have a problem with my shoe hitting the underside of the dash. Overall, I feel comfortable, but not coddled. I've actually found a 100-mile trip in a 996 less comfortable.

But, given the opportunity, I would swap for a late dash. The center speaker cutout betrays the age of the interior design in my car. Enjoy what you have.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:22 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually think the late 944 dash looks quite modern for an 80's car. I had an 83 944, and that DEFINITELY had a dated looking interior. Still cool, but it did look old. And to think the 924 had it until 1987!

I would go with what some other have said: Dash Trim kit (Carbon Fiber or Aluminum), updated gauges (white faces and/or glowing ones), more modern shifter, stereo head unit etc.

You can do all this with available parts. Then of course you can go the custom route. It's not very common with these cars to see a complete custom interior, because most people like the look of it as is.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:27 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Early dash...no likey.

And, the first 951s were spotted in 1983
Old 10-26-2005, 09:36 PM
420WHP944
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i had an 83 na and loved it but when i got the 951.....no contest! much better dash and interior.....best seats i've ever sat in......bar none!
Old 10-26-2005, 10:00 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A lot of those dash trim kits are of questionable quality. Some dude buys a crapload of material and starts cutting "kits" for whatever cars he thinks there's a market for, then selling 'em for $100 each on evilbay.

Some are very good (ask Tedwright; whichever one he had in his old 951 was AWESOME looking; I'd bet it was one of the more Porsche-specific vendors and not an aftermarket hack jobber).

I actually experimented with one of these kits for my early n/a shortly after I bought it and ended up ripping all the trim crap off after about a week 'cause I hated it. There were numerous production oversights such as the center console (there's a different height between "most" of the area around the shifter where that carpet crap usually goes and the plastic ring around the shift boot - the kit didn't account for that so you got a nice "mistake-lookin' ridge" in the material. Some of the screw holes were juuuuuuust that little bit off, etc. In general, I've come to believe that most aftermarket stuff is garbage unless it's someone that has a reputation for making stuff SPECIFICALLY for these cars, has been doing it a long time, etc.

It was a $90 experiment that I regretted. What I WILL do is eventually get some brushed metal (I have samples picked out from a couple suppliers) and cutting a few choice pieces for myself so I know it's done correctly. Two pieces on the center console, one behind the climate control panel, one behind the instrument cluster above it and one behind the main instrument cluster - that's it. All you need IMO.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:15 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

serge944,

what i meant to say for the price it doesn't seem worth some of the expensive prices. I have seen a dash trim kit that couldn't be anything other than plastic and costing around $275 plus shipping. That seems to be a bit of an overkill. If you buy a cheap one, it may end up biting you in the butt. Kind of like, you get what you pay for kind of thing.

'86 951 millenium yellow
'88 944S guards red
Old 10-26-2005, 11:24 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Ah, sorry for the misinterpretation.

If you do decide to do something drastic like swapping in a different dash, be certain that you're going to be keeping the car. No matter how nice, it will most likely decrease the value of car when/if the time comes to sell - on top of making it harder to find a buyer.

Quick Reply: 944 interior upgrade