Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iceshark headlight wiring question... need a little help....

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 05:04 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iceshark headlight wiring question... need a little help....

I hate to ask this at this time- I had been trying to get ahold of Dan as of September 19th & never heard back from him, so, posted a thread here, looking for him... What was a problem at the time, is getting worse now... I'm hoping someone here can help... I have one of the wiring/light upgrades from the very first run- the fuse for the low-beam eventually had probs... the metal contacts got some sort of build-up on them & the low's would not always come on... By the time I figured it out, w/Dan's help, I realized a new fuse was in need & he said for me to try to grip the fuse contacts together a little better...

Well, this worked for awhile... Around September 15th, it got much worse... Not sure how it happened all of the sudden, but, the fuse had some more build-up on it & the orange wires, leading from the fuse, are being eaten/burned through... I have to do something about this soon... If anyone knows anything about how to fix something like this, please let me know ... I can send digital pics easily... Can't post them here worth a *&^%, but, can e-mail them...

I wasn't worried about this much, the first week or so, when I did not hear back from Dan, but, was getting more & more stressed about this... I was also worried about him, as I've known him for 5yrs & really got to know him pretty well, considering our geographic locations. He always got back to me w/in a day or so.... usually hours... this time, everyone said he was on vacation... It didn't seem possible, but, I hoped for the best... Unfortunately, well, we all know now...

Any help w/this wiring prob would be appreciated... I know there wont be anymore of these kits unless someone else w/the skills & connections makes them, so, I'm hoping I can fix this... I know it wont last much longer, so, am not using headlights anymore than I have too... This will only work for so long & I've been minimizing their use for over a month now...

thanks a lot...
Old 10-24-2005, 10:13 AM
82-928/89-S2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Robby,

It sounds like your fuse holder is toast. If the contacts on the holder do not make good contact with your fuse it forms the equivalent of a resistor at that point. This could have been caused by a faulty fuse holder which was not making good contact with your fuse from day one. The heat generated by the bad connection continues to get worse until things around it start melting. The heat also accelerates oxidation of the bad connection point generating more corrosion and worsening the situation for you. You need to get a solid connection through the fuse holder. I guess at this point I would just replace the fuse holder with a new one of the same amperage rating. You could try to clean the one you have but my guess is since the fuse holder has probably melted internally as well you will not have any support for the contacts to press firmly on the fuse tabs. Solder and shrink wrap the joints of the new fuse holder and be sure to use dielectric grease on the new fuse to seal out oxygen so no further oxidation will occur. I would actually go back and put dielectric grease on all the connections if it isn't already on there as I know Dan had provided a tube with all the kits. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Take care,
Nick

Quick Reply: Iceshark headlight wiring question... need a little help....