Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remember me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 11:42 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 9444Alexis
As far as the A-arms, I was already planning to do both and was going to go through rennbay for the kit. The bench vise I am not in luck enough to have a garage, that's turning into my dad's apartment. One day.......>sigh<. Is the procedure for drinking the beer upside down included in the link you sent?
No, most of us learned that in college/university, it was one of the few skills learned there that stuck with us into our old age.

Timing belt I got scared of..I assumed doing all the belts at the same time would be wisest, so I bought all the belts from Pelican and they arrived yesterday. I heard that the 1988 944s have an automatic tensioner and no tool is needed......is this true?
Not true, the tool is still needed.

Next question: why are the shop manuals $820?? ARGH!!!
Go out to the driveway or parking lot where the car is currently parked, and walk around to the front of it. Take a look at that sheild/crest-looking thing and tell me what it says.

Tranny: Shifter is sloppy, the gear oil hasn't been changed in the months I have had it <that was the first stop though. That is slated for sometime soon......see note about 'no garage' :-P> I have been looking for used trannys just in case I have a big mess or sparkly gear oil.

Thanks!
I'd change the fluid, and get that sloppiness fixed. That could go a long way toward helping the shifting. Your slop is probably in the lever itself, the part and the bushings from Paragon are fairly cheap (about $60 or so total if I recall correctly).
Old 10-20-2005, 10:35 PM
9444Alexis
Banned Pirate Queen
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crest seems to say "Porsche" which I can only assume means "Poor Owner Rarely Sees Cash Handy, Ever!!" ;-)

OG's sale is coming up and I was assuming I could pick up some gear oil there. Then off to cruise the rennlist DIY archives.

The car is in good condition according to the techs who were giving me the grand tour. I'd trust their summation of the car....but the stuff that needs repair isn't cheap! I guess the $340 milllion lottery win went to someone else...
Old 10-21-2005, 02:29 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

I did the ball joints on my car a month or two ago....not so much fun. The clip ring that holds the existing ball joint on is a real PITA to get out. I ended up drilling a small hole in the side of the arm beside it and pushing one side of it in with an 1/16" steel pin to get it out of the grove.

I spent over an hour trying to get the clip out before doing this, and it took all of 2 minutes this way. If you're in the Herndon area I might be able to help with that.

On a related note, I think I'll be calling up IMA about my timeing belt soon. I'd love to do it myself, but I can't really take the time to do it right now.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:38 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Yeah, IMA is great. If anyone can get the car in shape, its them!

Quick Reply: Remember me?