Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CV joint install help

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 02:37 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts
Default CV joint install help

Well, all the bolts snapped flush at the cv joint. I bouoght a new CV joint and boot. And new bolts of course. So here are my questoins:

I know I need to pack the new CV with grease.. but is this a special type of grease? How exactly do I "pack" it?

How the hell do I get the spring clip off the axle to get the other CV off? It doesnt appear to have the little holes in it to use the spring clip plyers. I couldnt pry it off because its so damn greasy. Any tips?

Any other tips? Thanks!
Old 10-13-2005, 04:20 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Jeff,

There's so much information on CV joint replacement in the archives that if you do a search you'll find everything you need to know. Remember, "search is your friend."

Do you have the Haynes manual? If not, get one. This is one of the best procedures described in Haynes, with decent pics, tool recommendations, etc. There's also a great write-up in www.clarks-garage.com.

Some tips I can give you for starters is to buy the following items at a Pep Boys or similar:

* Degreaser
* Moly-based CV joint grease (comes in tubes, like toothpaste)
* Snap ring pliers (Craftsman has some nice ones)
* Triple square bit set by Lisle (do a search, I posted the part number somewhere)
* Rubber gloves

You'll need a hammer, channel lock pliers, torque wrench, assorted metric sockets, etc. It's a messy job, but pretty easy. Very important to check how the CV joints are put together before disassembling. They should "flex" when on the axle shaft. Also, be sure to apply the correct torque to the CV joint bolts, or they WILL back out.

Report back after searching if you still have questions.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:53 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

The clip, I used a screw driver and a hammer. Just be careful not damage the splines. It is not that hard. I ended up taking mine apart and bought entire axles, less hassle. Good luck.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:17 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Egh.. Just got done, that was one MESSY job. Thanks for the info guys. Its much appreciated.

Quick Reply: CV joint install help