Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh no! I need a cooling fan switch wiring harness!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 12:57 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

funny I had checked the battery and wires around the firewall for any frays this morning too. Obviously I really can't make a solid judgement as to whether any wires from the battery are the problem or not. What areas would you recommend I test with the multimeter? My guess is still the possiblity of a fan failure.

This morning the fans were coming on still around normal temperature they should.....both of them. The fuse hasn't been fried yet. I had also noticed that the area inside the fuse appears to have some melted plastic around it. Very odd. Definitely some over-voltage going on in block #15 here....
Old 10-17-2005, 01:22 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Dilberto
Andy- you have system shorts, stemming from either the alternator, startor, or coil. Since these three components tie into the battery- juice to the fan switch is ordered by the sender, located between cylinders one and two. It appears the ground is your problem. Break out that DMMS again!

Andy, I have another wiring harness too- if you really need one. $30 shipped and its yours. PM me if wanting it.

Zach
I have been thinking about your post Dilberto and it wouldn't hurt to look at the ground also. Is there any way you can take a picture of the exact position of this ground on the 944? I'd like to have a look at it when I get home tonight to see if I can clean it.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:31 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dilberto
Andy- you have system shorts, stemming from either the alternator, startor, or coil. Since these three components tie into the battery- juice to the fan switch is ordered by the sender, located between cylinders one and two. It appears the ground is your problem. Break out that DMMS again!

Andy, I have another wiring harness too- if you really need one. $30 shipped and its yours. PM me if wanting it.

Zach
Nope, the two sensors in the block have nothing to do with the cooling fans. One of them is for the DME for fuel calculations, the other is for the dash gauge. The only thing that controls the fans is the big probe that bolts into the drivers side tank of the rad itself.

Quick Reply: Oh no! I need a cooling fan switch wiring harness!