Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF! Copyright infringement!!! THATS MY FACE and pic!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 06:06 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would guess, that unless otherwise stated, your pictures were in or assumed to have been in the public domain and could be used at will. I would imagine is anybody had any claim against them it would be Porsche.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:06 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the Rennlist thing is a good idea. I will contact and see what I can do about offering something to a member since Rennlist was used to aquire that image. Maybe even a membership for someone.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Actually, public domain wouldn't make sense since the pictures are direcly in my gallery, with ways to contact me and a bunch of other stuff that leads directly to me and show evidence of those lights and car being owned by me. I can't magine thats public domain. They even changed the photo file name! I don't think I have ever posted a photo without some form of referece to ownership if it was mine.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:23 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by Blue S2
Well aren't you just the friendly photoshopper!
I have had many a individual work of "graphic" stolen.
The best you could probably get is for them to take it down.
However I think I would offer them more pictures of your hot car in exchange for your Photographic skill and your car as the display prop...they sell other items you might want or want to sell. Make them ship it
Old 10-11-2005, 06:29 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think if at most they might be infringing your privacy rights, since they (sort of) show your face without your permission. But then they are in the UK, so what the f#@k do they care about US law in that regard.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:29 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a copyright.

How much money is it worth defending it?

If you really care you could simply ask that they remove the copyrighted photo of yours that they are using without permission. If you really really care, you could complain to eBay and ask that it be removed.. I imagine in some part of the copyright law they may (IANAL) have a culpability as the host.

For my part, any photo that I post on the web that I specifically don't want anyone to use without permission either gets the statement: Copyright George D. Roffe (year) or it is posted on my own site with a statement that all text and photos are copyrighted by me and the date(s). That said, for any personal use I've never refused permission.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:33 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manning
I would guess, that unless otherwise stated, your pictures were in or assumed to have been in the public domain and could be used at will. I would imagine is anybody had any claim against them it would be Porsche.
They can assume all they like, but unless specifically stated, the photos would not be in the public domain.

As for any claim by Porsche, they have a right to claim a trademark if used. They have a right to any photo they paid for the rights to. They have zero rights to an image created by someone else.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:38 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't have your sidemarkers in clear, get those babies.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:40 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Honestly, if it were me.. id think it was cool someone used a picture of my car in an ad. I think i'd probably show it to all my friends, and rennlist!
Old 10-11-2005, 06:47 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

HAHA, yeah it never even crossed my mind to go for legal action, it would never be worth it. I have found my car being used before I just contact the people. This time it was a bit different, and a bit funny because it clearly shows me squatting like a idiot and has my face displayed!

Um...AND im wearing sandals with socks!!!! They could have at least been decent enough to cut me some slack and grab a different pic! They are portraying me in a light i would prefer not be portray on ebay and such! Maybe we can change images...hahaha. I'll contact them and let ya'll know what happens!
Old 10-11-2005, 06:54 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Bottom line is the principle. They should have asked. In which case, I am sure you would have been flattered.

Kindly send them an email explaining that.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:14 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

So quit wearing sandles with socks......nerd.

IIRC, a case like this happened about a year ago. As stated, your pic your face is not public domain unless shot by them at say a car event, hence public. Write a letter stating you are impressed that they selected your work to promote XXXXX, but to comtinue to use the images compenstion of (usually a produce they have available) is required. They may up the stakes and ask for more images (that's where you introduce your new auto detailing line ) to equal the value of product XXXX. Or they may just screw it and pull the images.

Get an entire front set, keep what you need, sell the rest to donate a couple of Rennlist memberships to the cash challenged college types that have post counts over 200. At any angle, it's all win!
Old 10-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 62 Posts

You are a proud man with a gorgeous car Blue, keep it up!
Old 10-11-2005, 10:55 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

HAHAHA i dont wear socks and sandles publically !!!!!!! See now the whole freakin' world knows! I just SOMETIMES toss them on if I am working on the car or in this case snappin' pics! I just didn't want to lace up my boots for 2 minutes!!! They have emotionally scarred me now! HAHAHA. Maybe this is a stronger case!

EDIT:

Even worse!!!!! Do you see what this has done for my career!!!!! Crap!!!! How can I possibly be a super heavy metal rock star lead guitarist with a flashy one of a kind guitar, awesome hair, big boots, the whole getup....

when the day our album is officially released....the world sees "SOCKS AND SANDLES.... LOOOOOOOSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRR!!!!!!!"

This is not good. ::sigh::
Old 10-11-2005, 11:13 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

ckathens,
Dude you want to write my brief for fair use defense. Probably not. This is like pulling TEETH!

Quick Reply: WTF! Copyright infringement!!! THATS MY FACE and pic!!!