Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone here had a dash re-covered???

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 06:57 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys... took me awhile to get back- having internet trouble again...

Robert- I agree w/you- it is a LOT of money when you consider the work invloved... Some say it's just time consuming & there ARE how-to write-ups online, but, I'm also aware of several who've used the how-tos & had probs... They seemed to have done it correctly & had no probs during the job, but, ended up w/out certain functions afterward- certain controls not working, like lights, heater, etc... kind of scares me a little....

PEvans- Still have not heard back from Just Dashes, but, 944online will let you send your core to them to recover... would save you the $200 core, but, either way, you'll be sending your's to them to recover, OR, they'll be recovering another one & THEN you'll send your's to them to "recover" your $200... unless you just want a 2nd dash laying around for some reason.... not a bad idea IF you could find someone to recover for a decent price, but, not worth it for $1000... Intersting that the factory prices were $1600... I'll have to call Sunset now & ask them what their price would be & IF they can even still get one, AB or NON-AB... Remember, there were still a few more NON-AB cars made then AB cars, even when you consider all the 968's, only b/c there were SO MANY MORE 1986 cars than any other year- actually, there were more 1986 turbos than there were turbos in all the other years combined...

Aribop- are you 100% positive that the Porsche factory optional leather dash was JUST the bottom? There was one for sale a few years ago here- guy wanted $2000, but, said he'd take ~$1500 & that it was perfect & that they were $6000 new(!?). I e-mailed him & he had told me it was all leather. I also talked to several people who said this, BUT, that the leather did not hold up any better than the vinyl & sometimes was even worse b/c the part that was in the sun (ie- the top part) would start lifting & cracking at vent edges, etc... IF it WAS just the bottom section, this would not make sense. BUT, is it possible that there were several years where the option was JUST the bottom & maybe a few years where the option was the WHOLE thing?

Hey Mike- haven't seen you around lately... how have you been? Yes, I think Leatherique doe sell it- I'm pretty I contacted them a long time ago about it for my black 968 door panels & pockets that I bought for $400- near perfect- have always wanted to covert to linen... Ended up putting it on the back-burner.... When I did the hatch cover, I was still considering converting, so, had it done in linen, then, decided not too- they told me to dye it black & save money... Dyeing just did not work for me... It MIGHT depend somewhat on who did the work... I was told by the place that recovered my hatch cover, that it was VERY simple & to just buy the spray-on stuff... It's like spray paint, ~$10/can. They said I should just need one- I ended up going through two & could have used another- one side of a hatch cover... When I did it, I did everything just like they said... the cover was VERY CLEAN- was almost brand new anyway... Well, the spray nozzels clogged up BIG-TIME, every few seconds, & the stuff would dribble out easily- almost immediatley- PITFA! Then, it would dry fairly quickly... It would bead up kind of thick where it would dribble & when I'd try to wipe it off, would smear badly & would sort of build up in certain sections... Was VERY VERY difficult to apply smoothly & evenly... Hard for me to recommend after that... It just didn't come out looking good- was half tempted to pay another $50 & have it recovered just to have it right... So, in the end, I have a nice new hatch cover that is now black, but, is sort of splotchy & not very even... thicker in some spots & actual dribble marks in others... IF you're considering having a pro do it for you, I wouldn't be as worried, but, if you're planning to do it yourself, &, have never done it before, you might want to reconsider... That's just my $.02, for what it's worth... I'm just not that happy w/it & am DAMN glad I did not try to dye the black 968 door panels linen... This sucks b/c 968's never came in linen- I'm actually starting to want FULL linen throuhgout, even top of dash... Would be better in heat... Even tan would be great... Full tan... I've always liked the looks of the deviating interiors though- line/black & tan/black, but, again, the top of the dash area retains the heat... hmmm.... wonder how linen/tan would look, IF they had made it...? Doesn't matter, since, it would cost a fortune to have custom made...

I want to get in touch w/Eric Sandoval- he has a web-site showing the REMARKABLE job someone did on his 968 cab... had it ALL recovered in leather... dark & light blue to match his car... one of the most incredible jobs I've ever seen.... pics all over the website... if anyone here has not seen it, I'll find the link & post....???

Thingo- re-skinning? Who does this? The aluminum thing could be made to look really good, if done correctly, but, would probably cost a bit of money... Oh well, sounds like every option except for covers will be pricey anyway.... How difficult was replacing your dash w/the one you found? Did you do the work, or, pay someone else...?

Coverlays... This is my next thought... can one really make a Coverlay type cover look about like it's not even there? Where can I buy a really nice looking cover? I really don't want carpeted types, but, I do remember seeing a coverlay type a long time ago that really looked good... any tips on this option? I might seriously consider this... I could just cover straight over the AB part... of course, I'd like to get rid of the passenger AB altogether... Still better, I've always liked the idea of finding a way to pop the AB door off & then finding a way to store things in that space- sort of a stealth thing for possible self-defense items....? It's bolted on at top from the inside- will break if not careful... Plus, pulling that AB would be a lot easier w/the dash reoved, or, at least the AB door...

sorry this was so long...
Old 10-21-2005, 01:44 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All the full leather interiors that I have seen only have leather on the bottom of the dash. The door panels are skinned in leather and have extra stitching. The arm rets are also skinned in leather as is the center console. Easily identifiable by the stitching that follows the contours of the console, dash, and glove compartment door.
Tarheel, if you are following this thread how about chiming in. I know you had full leather.
I'm pretty positive about this one but I'll stand corrected if someone comes up with evidrence to prove otherwise.
Cheers.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:09 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Dyeing can work great. I had a professional dye my door panels and they came out really really well. They are still holding up perfectly 3 years later. (pics below) I just bought the full leatherique redo/dye kit and am going to do the M3 seats sometime next month. Just have to stop driving it and park it for awhile...

Old 10-21-2005, 02:24 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Who's the new guy here with the Riviera Blue 944 turbo? We should get him to ask the former owner of his car who recovered his dash - it was done in a suede/velour material and looked really, really nice.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:40 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by 89magic98
Who's the new guy here with the Riviera Blue 944 turbo? We should get him to ask the former owner of his car who recovered his dash - it was done in a suede/velour material and looked really, really nice.
Already did
R4][N_M4l{3R and he does not know.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:41 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Aribop- maybe that's the case- I have no idea b/c I've never seen a leather one of any kind in these cars... I just know what I've heard, but, that doesn't mean they were correct... You ever really know... what you're saying makes a lot of sense, especially if you've seen a few this way... Hey, where is Powder Springs GA? Aree you close to Atlanta, or....?

Sam- I've always loved your car- you've done a great job w/it... I guess dyeing can have a lot to do w/who does the work... a good professional can work wonders... do you know if they used a spray dye OR a paint-on type? Have you done anything to your car lately? I remember your CF interior & 968 rear hatch, etc, from WAY back... always drool when I see pics... :-)
Old 10-21-2005, 05:56 PM
aribop
Race Car

Very close to Atlanta...10 miles North of Six Flags off I-20.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:06 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What's up, what's up? What's up with the Bankhead bump! (don't ask)

Was the 928 offered with a full leather dash? I am almost certain a former coworker had a 28 with a dash in it that was full leather.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:44 PM
aribop
Race Car

Yeah, I believe the 928s could be had with full leather dashes.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:40 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

928's were available with leather everything even sun visors, front and back,have seen one in purple leather!
Old 10-22-2005, 02:17 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thingo- are the 968CS sways the same as 968M030 sways, or, is there a difference?

Anyone here have any info on coverlays, or, something thereof... Can one be installed to honestly make it look just like a recovered dash- could it be that good? Would one need to remove the dash to install the Coverlay? Would it be something a professional should do to get it right? I don't really want a carpeted type cover, but, there are some Coverlay types that look pretty good from pics... How much are they, are there dif types, which is best, etc....?

thanks
Old 10-22-2005, 07:16 PM
cambria
Racer

I have a 87 NA with the full leather option and only the lower half of the dash is leather. Aribop's description is right on.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:56 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Robby
Thingo- are the 968CS sways the same as 968M030 sways, or, is there a difference?

thanks
Sorry my bad, that's a typo
Old 10-22-2005, 09:42 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Robby, my car has a coverlay on that was installed by the PO. It has been on for at least 6 years and it has warped, curling up on the ends by the vents. I guess it doesn't look horrible compared to a very cracked dash, and you sorta get used to it....until you see an uncracked, stock dash and it looks different than yours. For a time, I was looking for another coverlay, but there were not any brown ones on ebay, and I heard that some people have a lot of trouble with them squeaking and creaking if not installed correctly.

To me, the car is one giant opportunity for me to tinker. That said, I've picked up a spare (cracked) dash on which to tinker. I'm not sure of the exact route yet, but when I'm finished, it will look stock again...even if I have to make a vacuum mold myself.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:39 AM
ACG
Addict
Rennlist Member

I checked with JustDashes.Com a couple of years ago. No core is required. They will re-vinvl any 944 dash sent to them for $800.

Quick Reply: Has anyone here had a dash re-covered???