Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with oil cooler seal change

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005 | 01:49 PM
944driver
Advanced

Default Would this show high oil pressure?

Late yesterday I put everything back together without the OPRV alignment tool. The only problem is my oil pressure is show max all the time even after 15 minutes of driving. The wire connections to the sending unit are correct because the oil pressure gage shows zero with the ignition on and the engine off and when I initially started the car the gage briefly showed zero. So I think it's high because of one of two things. The cooler housing might be out of alignment, even though the valve seems to travel smoothly inside the bore, or because I damaged my oil pressure sending unit. Notice the tip of the post on the right is broken off and has exposed some type of wire. Could this cause an erroneous oil pressure reading. I'll be going by Brett Jenkins's house today to borrow his alignment tool and reposition the housing. Hopefully that will solve the problem. Oh the reason that I changed the seals is because I had a serous oil leak. At least that has been fixed.
Attached Images  

Last edited by 944driver; 10-17-2005 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-16-2005 | 09:22 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

the gauge is reading high all the time because the wiring on the sending unit as shown above is damaged. replace the sending unit and hook the wires back up correctly and it should work fine.
Old 10-16-2005 | 09:52 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Could you access the oil thermostat with the oil cooler off? (8mm allen bolt).
Old 10-17-2005 | 02:35 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

It's reading high because ya broke the wire, silly! Pressure isn't really high.

I just soldiered one of the wires broken on my temp sender, when wire broke - patched it in, bingo, worked.

- Julie
Old 10-17-2005 | 09:03 AM
944driver
Advanced

hosrom_951 Could you access the oil thermostat with the oil cooler off? (8mm allen bolt).

Hosrom I did not realize that there was a oil thermostat, however while looking on Pelican for a new sending unit I did see a oil temp sending unit so I guess one does exist. Nevertheless, it's all back together now and will not be coming off for a long time.

Devia It's reading high because ya broke the wire, silly! Pressure isn't really high.

I just soldiered one of the wires broken on my temp sender, when wire broke - patched it in, bingo, worked.

- Julie

Julie, I guess I should clarify, The connector was attached, I took it off for the photo just to show the damage. There are enough threads left on the broken post for the nut to grab onto.

Using Brett's alignment tool I was able to verify that the housing was on straight. As I noted earlier the valve plunger moved smoothly in the bore. So as Joseph mentioned, I'll just replace the sending unit and move on.

Thanks to all that replied.
Old 10-17-2005 | 11:50 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Yes, there is a thermostat. Thing is, the PO took really good care of the car, he replaced the front seals, rollers, tensioners, waterpump, motor mounts, clutch and everything else that is always failing on the car

He did not inform me if he adressed the oil cooler seals, and i was always looking into a 'while you are in there' to replace the seals and the thermostat, since it would be much easier to install if the oil cooler is out of the car.

Quick Reply: Help with oil cooler seal change