Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering shakes severely over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 09:51 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could also be the strut mounts. Yank around on the top of the strut for movement.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:49 PM
Quill Hyde
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK - I had the same symptoms. I bought the car back in NJ years ago - it was basically undriveable - if you turned left at highway speeds it would start shaking and jumping around like crazy. I bought the parts, replaced what I could in the parking lot - it had poly bushings that were hammered oval, I replaced all those with rubber, replaced the tie rod ends, and got it to stop freaking out but it still did the steering wheel shake thing on hard bumps. Rat a tat tat. Drove it back to Washington when the NY job was done, and it's been sitting waiting for love for the last few years.

Thanks to COVID I've had time to wake it back up again - spent money on new tires and a battery, fixed a bunch of little things (wiring, shifter linkage, thermostat, etc), and finally installed the new struts! HOLY CRAP what a difference. The left strut still had a little life in it, but the right one was completely gone. No resistance whatsoever. As described, I was feeling the dynamics of an undamped spring. It is amazing how well it drove anyway, without any damping at all.

I had some serious issues getting the old inserts out - the previous mechanic put silicone on the bottom of the inserts before stuffing them in, so getting them out totally sucked. They were glued in solid. The shocks pulled apart instead of coming out, leaving the shell of the old shock stuck inside ... I got one out from the top, bending it in and gripping it with vice grips and prying with a screwdriver ... over and over until it loosened. The other one just broke. I had to drill a hole in the bottom of the strut to poke out the remains with a punch. That did the trick and would have saved a ton of time if I'd thought of that first. Anyway. It is so much better! Now the car rides smooth, is quiet over bumps, and the only play left is in the steering rack itself. Which will be next. But first, I've got some country roads to enjoy - snow is gone, cops are busy, don't have the virus yet, better enjoy it while I can! LOL.

The following users liked this post:
h011yw00d (04-10-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 04:44 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice work! Yay for waking up old projects.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:06 AM
Quill Hyde
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Couldn't agree more! Bounced the rev limiter today from 2nd to 3rd ... so that's a good sign. All systems go... except AC, cruise control, and the hatch kinks & unlocks one side instead of both from the button, probably needs more subwoofer. But at least the button does something! That is an improvement.

Sure is fun working on the 944! Had my 13 yr old daughter help me bleed the brakes and that was awesome. Took my wife out for a cruise and then made out like teenagers. Good times
The following users liked this post:
h011yw00d (04-10-2020)

Quick Reply: Steering shakes severely over bumps