Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to look for when buying a late 944

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 02:40 PM
packrat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for when buying a late 944

Hello,
After owning several European sports cars, I am now looking for a late 944. What problem areas and questions besides the normal stuff ( timing belt, clutch, etc.) should I be looking for and asking?

And more importantly yet, buying a car sight unseen.

TIA
Old 10-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is probably a zillion pages on this if you use the search tool.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:13 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Here's a favorite:
http://www.connact.com/~kgross/FAQ/944faq.html
Old 10-01-2005, 03:15 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

My .02 - would never buy one sight unseen w/o pre purchase inspection by knowledgeable wrencher.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:25 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I have to ask what your price range is and what you are willing to spend. The 944 is a good car if well taken care of. If you want one for a 2nd car or a car to work yourself on you have found the place to look.

You can expect that cars that are in need of repair to go for $500 to $5000 depending on the repairs needed. Every big ticket item if done at a dealer will break whatever interest you might have had in the car and your wallet.

Cars in good shape typically range from $3500 to $8K for an NA. S and S2 prices can vary, S2's in good shape, not great, will run you about $9K. Cheapest rolling 951 goes for $3500 and some of the concourse cars go for 20K or more!

Try to do some research and figure out what your intentions ar for the car.

The NA cars are simple to work on with the right tools and research. There are only a few things that actually keep the car from running.

Buy it for looks, buy it to drive and buy it for life

Michael
Old 10-01-2005, 03:49 PM
packrat
Advanced

Ok, I knew I should have added I could probably do a search and find what I'm looking for. A newbie here but not on boards, LOL!... yea a newbie with the same ol question, yikes!!!

Seriously, I live in the great white north. This would be a weekend driver for about 7 months of the year. My normal ride is a TT quattro. Another month and we are into salty roads so I have all winter to work on it. But, I want something that is fairly clean, turbo, s, or plain does not matter too much for my first one. Only items I must have is it: has to be Black, 5-speed, sunroof and under $6k. Not too picky, ha?

Just trying to find out what to look for mechanically and also, where any rust may first appear coming through from the inside to avoid having to spend big $$'s on something I overlooked or was not aware of.

I'll also check out the links posted here,

Last edited by packrat; 10-01-2005 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:36 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You're not going to get a good turbo or S for under 6, unless you luck out. Ecven a good NA is unlikely. Few things are more expensive than a cheap Porsche, and make sure you get it checked out by a mechanic who really knows these cars.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:16 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Peckster
You're not going to get a good turbo or S for under 6, unless you luck out. Even a good NA is unlikely. Few things are more expensive than a cheap Porsche, and make sure you get it checked out by a mechanic who really knows these cars.
All good advice but I've seen many many 86-88 NA's under $6K that were absolute garage queens with less than 100K miles. Maybe the prices here in Cal are lower or something, a good well sorted Turbo can be had for <$7K. I paid $5800 2 years ago and have done nothing but a starter as 'breakdown' maintainance costs since. You just have to look and be at the right place at the right time.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:21 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another thing to keep in mind. Even though in most used cars, you can't get back what you put in, as far as repairs, I think a 944 works the other way! You get a good car, that has had the proper items replaced, you might as well factor that into the price, since YOU will have to pay for that stuff with any cheaper car that hasn't been taken care of.

So, see an S2 for $7k that HASN'T had the clutch, shocks, A-arms, and brakes/tires replaced...figure YOU will have to do that stuff off the bat. Brings the car value right up to about $10k.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:38 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andy is spot on with that. These cars are old enough now that some are coming up on a second go round for the typical big ticket wear items. I would be skeptical of any car that doesn't have a strong and consistent usage and maintenance history. If kept well, they are very durable cars and pretty economical. If owned by someone with a short horizon who tries to scape along spending as little as possible (and bear in mind that these cars hit the bottom of their depreciation curve a long time ago... and have lived through two recessions), you will have a lot of catching up to do at great expen$e.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:21 PM
DLarsen
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

I would suggest meeting a 944 owner in your area. Find an owner whos enthusiastic about his/her 944. Try the Porsche Club of America, your local region. Go to a PCA event. Probably some users here on Rennlist in your area.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:21 AM
Drifting STi
Instructor

If you are serious about a car here are some specs on mine. It will be for sale very soon.
Early 85

Good Exterior/Interior
Turbo Front Bumper/AIR Rear Bumper (Rear Valance not installed yet)
Turbo Brembo Brakes(Front)
Turbo suspension(Front)
Corbeau Forza Seat w/ Simpson 4pt harness
Custom Exhuast 2.5in (comes with stock exhuast also)
BRAND New Pirelli Corzas 10miles on them
Bursch testpipe (have cat. converter)
PCA Spec Fire extinguisher Halatron NEW!!
New struts, all four corners (FR 250lb springs)
17' 993 Wheels
AC Delete w/ Belt #
Redline Rollbar w/ I/O Port Camera Mount.
Turbo Swaybars Front and Rear
Car runs well, driven in one DE event and 4 autoXs, Car is Garaged
Pick-up only(by you or shipping company), Forced Sale, need money for house.
About 65k on Car, owned car for 4 years, has allways started and ran great.
Use mobil1 every 4k, Porsche Filters, Will easily pass emissions to convert to street car.
Comes with stock airbox,stock exhuast/Cat, lots of little goodies like new pads and filter, tons of hardware, rear valance.Lots of reciepts. Only thing wrong with car is a small leak coming from oil pan seal, New seal included w/ car, other than that car is in excell cond. CVJoints are remanufactured and packed w/ Mobil 1 Synthetic, Front Hubs and Spindles Rebuilt and packed with Mobil 1 Synthetic, Rebuilt A-Arms all done less than 1k ago.Transmission is filled with synthetic gear oil. Car is a true enthusiasts Car, was pride and joy for many years but financial and spacial demands force sale. Timing belt and Balance belt changed 10k ago and inspected less than 1k ago. Feel free to email with questions or more pictures ect. Current PCA Member .
Old 10-02-2005, 01:38 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Regardless of the PPI, which is EXTREMEMLY IMPORTANT, you will end up doing work anyways. There are very few cars that you will get that are perfectly keep and need nothing. Those will also fetch a premium. $12k and above is not unreasonable for the definition of immaculate; mechanically, cosmetically, and historically.

Just know the price of a few common jobs when looking at different cars. Like the others here said, a $4000 car that needs $3000 in work is a $7000 car. Don't put work off for later, it's cheaper the earlier you do it. Waiting leads to other problems.

There are a lot of good cars circulating in PCA. If you can, sign up, or have someone search the PCA classifieds.

Quick Reply: What to look for when buying a late 944