Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I sell my 944?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 11:10 AM
Drifting STi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I sell my 944?

I've been thinking seriously about selling my 944. They only reason being that it seems to be very expensive and difficult to replace and locate parts. For example. I spent 120 on rotors, 89 on parking brake pads, 50 on rear bearings 110 on discontinued bearing spacers (which took me forever to locate and paid top dollar). for a grand total of 369 that I had to put on the CC cause I didnt have the cash.

This is my daily driver and I love it but I think I'm better off with a BS civic that I can drive into the ground. I can't afford to spend that much money every time something goes.

Can you guys convince me to keep her?

BTW its a Early 85 n/a turbo nose. The PO was FTY on the rennlist boards and I know he took very good care of her.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:45 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Those prices don't sound bad at all! That's the nature of these cars. Actually, I think it's a German car thing because my VW costs about the same! None of the online vendors had the bearing spacers? Or nobody creates aftermarket versions?

Being a daily driver the car will require work more often. One of the best things to do is have another car. Drive that daily, or share the duty. It's easier to afford a car thats down when you have something else to drive. Then again, you will pay insurance on a second car. Which is more, parts or insurance?

How long have you had the car? As a general rule, $3000 / year is about what should be set aside, especially for a daily driver Porsche. This should cover maintenance and unforseen issues. The year you don't use it all...roll it over into the next year!

I guess it depends what you have the car for. I have noticed that a lot of other cars are getting just as pricey. As cars get bigger brakes, more technological, etc... etc... their prices for stuff is nearing sports car repair level.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:46 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting STi
I've been thinking seriously about selling my 944. They only reason being that it seems to be very expensive and difficult to replace and locate parts. For example. I spent 120 on rotors, 89 on parking brake pads, 50 on rear bearings 110 on discontinued bearing spacers (which took me forever to locate and paid top dollar). for a grand total of 369 that I had to put on the CC cause I didnt have the cash.

This is my daily driver and I love it but I think I'm better off with a BS civic that I can drive into the ground. I can't afford to spend that much money every time something goes.

Can you guys convince me to keep her?

BTW its a Early 85 n/a turbo nose. The PO was FTY on the rennlist boards and I know he took very good care of her.
$120 for four rotors or two? If you got only two - you need to shop around. There are good prices from several places on-line. Most are Rennlist sponsors. Shop around for parts - reasonable prices are not hard to find.

Also - I am surprised to hear anyone say parts availability is a concern. I have never found a part that can't be obtained one way or another. My car is also my daily driver, but I have other cars as backup. If this is your only transportation - then yes. Maybe you should sell it.

20 year old cars are not always 100% reliable - even if they are meticulously maintained. Things break or wear out. And if you need to wait a week to receive parts and get the car back on the road then you are going to suffer. I see it as a simple answer: keep it if you have alternate transportation you can fall back on. Sell, if you do not.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:11 PM
Drifting STi
Instructor

Originally Posted by Blue S2
None of the online vendors had the bearing spacers? Or nobody creates aftermarket versions?
Long story short, they dont make the bearing spacer anymore. What ever the dealers have in stock is all that is left. I had to order the inner spacers from a FL dealer and the outter spacers from a CA dealer. Thats two shipping charges. I called pelican, vertex and a ton of aftermarket porsche and VW vendors. All said the spacers were a dealer item. No one makes aftemarket versions.

It was 120 for two rear rotors and that was the price most rennlist vendors had, a dollar or two give or take.
I do have alternate transportation but I bought the 944 because I wanted to keep the Subaru STi the garage.

I'll see after I replace the bearings and decide then what I'm going to do with the car.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:19 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Its a tough call. Do you love / enjoy the car enough to keep spending money on it? I have let that question pass my mind a few times, but often going for drives and thinking about it ends up with the same answer. Keep it. Thats for me atleast.

Im not going to say keep the car, because i think ive come to the realization that owning a Honda Civic instead would mean id have more than $37.43 in my bank account right now. Honestly i just see that as another part of the adventure to owning a 944! Others may think differently, like my father who thinks im crazy to spend so much money on this car.

Its important to sometimes take a step back and just ask yourself is it really worth it to you. Personally if i had an STi and a 944...id think the 944 would eventually end up being sold.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:37 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drifting STi
Long story short, they dont make the bearing spacer anymore. What ever the dealers have in stock is all that is left. I had to order the inner spacers from a FL dealer and the outter spacers from a CA dealer. Thats two shipping charges. I called pelican, vertex and a ton of aftermarket porsche and VW vendors. All said the spacers were a dealer item. No one makes aftemarket versions.

It was 120 for two rear rotors and that was the price most rennlist vendors had, a dollar or two give or take.
I do have alternate transportation but I bought the 944 because I wanted to keep the Subaru STi the garage.

I'll see after I replace the bearings and decide then what I'm going to do with the car.
Wow - too bad about the spacers. That's hard to take. Not being familiar with what is involved - I'm wondering if it is possible to have them fabricated? Unless they are very complex, it would seem like a simple part for any decent shop to make. But then, that also assumes you have the dimensions.

On the rear rotors - that is not an unreasonable price. Rotors with drum-in-hat parking brakes tend to be about double the price of a standard front rotor. There is a fair amount of additional machining involved.

Just curious - have you priced similar parts for the Subaru? I'm not so sure the Porsche parts are any higher. I know from experience with my Mitsubishis, that comparable Porsche parts are not priced any more outrageously. In fact, I have been pleasantly surprised at how readily available parts are for these cars. It is increasingly difficult to get certain parts for the Talons. Let's not even talk about the Colts - let's just say it's a good thing I've got a good stock of old parts.

Good luck on your decision. In the end, you and only you, will know what is best.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:50 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got a quote of $340 for Porsche OE rotors (which is a decent discount off dealer price) from Sunset. $200 for the REARs, and $140 for the fronts.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:19 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AndyK
I got a quote of $340 for Porsche OE rotors (which is a decent discount off dealer price) from Sunset. $200 for the REARs, and $140 for the fronts.
Well, I'm sure the S2 rotors are bigger than my 85.5 rotors but those prices seem high. I purchased new rotors from Vertex five years ago. I got two fronts for $58 and two rears for $78. I see in my latest catalog that prices are now higher - but still not too bad. It's also possible they were offering a special at the time.

The Vertex catalog lists them as "original German" rotors. Exactly what that means, I'm not sure. I recall they were a recognized brand when I received them (ATE perhaps) and have had no reason to suspect their quality. My brakes are every bit as good as they were the day I put everything back together five years ago.

Never dealt with Sunset - so I don't know how their prices compare. It might be worth looking at Paragon, Pelican, 944online or Vertex (etc.)

Quick Reply: Should I sell my 944?