Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R.I.P. my little 944

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 06:08 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts

Lots of people think their 'uninsured motorist' coverage will pay for ther car repairs. It doesn't.

I wish I could buy coverage such that if I am hit by an uninsured motorist, I don't have to pay deductable and have my rates go up. Around here the 'uninsured motorist' coverage only pays your medical if you are hurt in an accident caused by an uninsured driver. You car is covered by comprehensive so you are on the hook for the deductable, and if it's over $1K in damages your rates go up. I can understand paying deductable, etc. if I have an at fault accident but if you do everything right and the accident is not your fault and still get screwed that really sucks.

-Joel.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:16 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope she lives on in another car!
Old 09-30-2005, 06:17 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Ouch! Sorry to hear that, especially after just having that new clutch done...

It looks like it may be totalled. I would definitely consider buying it back and at least parting it. 3 to 4 good wheels and a new clutch is already a good start.

From the pics is looks like the frame has been bent significantly. May be fixable, but consider carefully how much damage there is. Besides the forward frame rails (bent for sure) look carefully at the sheet metal behind the firewall (under the hood) if its wrinkled here, it may not be very easy to get a really good repair.

The important thing is that no one is badly hurt, and as there has no been mention of that, I assume that is the case.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:00 PM
mgmarsh39
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

Well.... Bad news, I found out today that the uninsured portion of my car insurance does not cover collision.... State Farm basically said, Sorry, you're **** out of luck. I called my lawyer and he said unless they made a mistake on the insurance then the only thing i can do is go after that lady...
Basically in fl I can only go after her liquid assets which means her cash on hand...

I am now forced to part the car... The wheels are all true.. my mech took the one shoved under the fender off and its fine.. just skuffed. The seats have no cracks and are very soft... Years of Lexol i guess . Gimme a PM i know i should do this so I will pay my membership fee asap.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:14 PM
Bluesky4x4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a situation like this the person without insurance should have to immediately give up whatever hunk of junk they have to the person they hit. Atleast then you can part out "their" car and use that money to fix your own.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:39 PM
porsha944
Track Day

Ooooh sorry, thats a horrible sight !
Old 09-30-2005, 10:15 PM
mgmarsh39
Rennlist Member

lol kinda funny... but the 1st thing that comes to mind when i think about my car is that song from breakfast club "dont you forget about me" hahah

*cries*

ah well...
Old 09-30-2005, 10:30 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude - looks fixable to me. To be honest, NO one knows about if it's damaged or not, until it's put up and measured. My first Porsche had a hit similar to that, same quarter panel! Hood actually just SLID over on the bolts, not hit. First shop said $5000 worth of damage, in 1991 ( 6 months after I bought her, I was PISSED). I had her flatbedded over to Porsche. They put her up, used calipers, explaining that there's a certain degree that it's still fixable, since it's a UNIBODY.
NO SHIFTING at all - including paint blending, replacing tire, fender, front bumper (blended into hood & door for optical color matching, using original Glasco paint), $1700 done by Porsche, which I didn't expect.

Check around the strut tower, with the hood up/off. Look for crumpling. If there isn't any, it should be able to be straightened, if bent at all. Sometimes things look worse than they are.

IMHO - looks worse than it could be.

Everything I see can be replaced with used parts - except suspension (I'd go for new parts on that). Used parts would cut down your cost, for hood, fender, headlight housing, bumper, etc.

I was told by Porsche that the only thing our cars can't be fixed from is a head on collision - and I drove one that someone had attempted to repair: the driveshaft & transmission was shoved back like 1/2" and shifted funny! I saw the crumpling behind the strut towers - though they did an excellent job in pulling it back out. Just the engine & clutch never mated up right again.

Hope that helps.

- Julie
Old 09-30-2005, 10:53 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

So State Farm said you're out of luck do you just have PLPD or full coverage? If its full coverage, call your insurance guy and ask him if you'd be covered if you drove it into a tree all by yourself. If you are, then ask him how this is differant. If he says because she's at fault, get your insurance company to sue her. If they won't do anything about it, get with your lawyer. If he doesn't do anything, call your local TV station, they'd love going after an insurance company for racketeering.

Good Luck.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:20 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
That sucks. Make sure to sue her *** off.
If she doesn't have insurance, what makes you think she has anything in the bank?

In CA, you can drive w/o insurance, get caught, and not have to pay a fine. It's a "fix it" ticket, just like no license plate.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:09 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

That is one advantage of our "no fault" system here in Ontario (Canada), in an accident your insurance always pays for your car, regardless of fault. Insurance premium increases are based on fault though. Having said that, I should also add that we pay extremely high premiums in Ontario (amongst the highest in North America) and insurance companies always seem to come out ahead...

Have the car properly assessed and then make the part or fix decision. Probably not worth it to go after the other driver though... But again, get expert advice on this,

Last edited by 500; 10-02-2005 at 01:11 PM. Reason: correction
Old 10-02-2005, 01:41 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

IIRC Fla HAS no fault Ins. Well, it did in the late 80's when I lived there.

I loathe uninsured motorists.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:50 PM
FletchDM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Serge944
In CA, you can drive w/o insurance, get caught, and not have to pay a fine. It's a "fix it" ticket, just like no license plate.
Who told you that? I guess if the police officer was having a really great day... but that's not the law. You can see the basics in the California DMV Driver's Handbook:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl600.pdf
and on the DMV website: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d02/vc1656_2.htm

A guy riding a motorcycle rear-ended me when I was driving a car. He had no insurance. The police impounded his bike, suspended his license and gave him a fine.

If you are pulled over for a minor infraction and are found to be without insurance, you are almost certain to get a fine and possibly a license suspension depending on the severity of the infraction.

-David
Old 10-02-2005, 05:25 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I was in court for a traffic violation and saw two people get excused for driving w/o insurance and simply have to pay some 20 dollar processing fee. Go figure.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:30 PM
mgmarsh39
Rennlist Member

yeh... we are sueing the lady... but who knows what she even has, because I can only go after her liquid assets... so even if she owns a million dollar house, I cant go after it...

My lawyer says we can try to get the judge to garnish her wages.

Quick Reply: R.I.P. my little 944