Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I let go of my 944?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 11:24 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Justitia--PM me and I can give you my logon for PCA to look at the classifieds.

Also, sign up for www.968.net and www.968forums.com for more 968 info. The classifieds on 968.net are too old so you don't need to pay attention to them, but occasionally people will put cars up for sale in the forums. If you post to both forums that you are looking for a 968, you will no doubt get a lot of help from those folks.

Good luck!
Old 10-14-2005, 02:32 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Im not convinced owning a well kept 968 is going to be the same maintenance expense as the car you are currently driving.

First a foremost, you would be jumping to a car thats a good 6-8yrs newer than what you are in now. Forget the engine for a moment. Stuff breaks when it gets old. Its called fatigue. All the wires and switches and transistors (do cars have transistors? Im just making this up as I go) and diodes and cables and everything else takes its toll just by living. Old age has a cost too. You can grow old gracefully but it doesnt mean you arent closer to death than the paperboy.

I get into this argument all the time, but to me, time is even more valuable than money. Just think of all the time and effort and frustration youve put into this car over the last few weeks and months. Running around to mechanics, getting opinions, correcting wrong opinions, getting third opinions, finding new mechanics, shuffling info from mechanic to mechanic, adjusting your life around when the car is and is not getting fixed, spending time on here telling everyone about the issues with the car.

I bet you have 80hrs into this easy. Without even a blink of an eye. You sound like a professional woman who knows you never jump over a dollar to save a dime. Lets see. At 80 "woman-hours" of time and effort (labor) just farting around with all of this, at say a paltry professional hourly wage equivalent of $20 (which aint much), thats $1600 in your own free time youve spent agonizing and aggravating.

You sound a lot like me. You do your best to listen to the advice of others about your car, but when it comes to doing it youself, DIY means driving it to the mechanic and saying "do whatever you gotta do." For a lot of folks on here, working on their cars if a passion a hobby. I have too many hobbies as it is. Working on my car is about last on the list of things I want to occupy myself with. Im a moron when it comes to undestanding directions and diagrams anyway and would kill my car trying to fix it.

My point is, you gotta draw the line on your own personal free time and sanity. Tell me one thing thats more important than your free discretionary time? I cant think of any. Its damn near priceless. So why flush so much of it down the toilet.

Cheapest is rarely least expensive.

I think a good one-owner 968 with a modest life would do more for you than you really think. Hell, pound for pound its just a 944 killer in so many ways. No disrespect to the 944. I like 944T but Id take a 968 over even a 944T if it was a real keeper. They are great cars. You are gonna have a car thats so much newer, nicer, more comfortable, airbags, safer, better suspension, power, more reliable, looks more modern, on and on.

Its a Porsche. Even the nicest ones need maintenance. Theres no getting around that. But Id been the passenger in a few 968s and the difference in comfort and power is like night and day. They feel like they drive like a dream. Those vario cam engines run like butter if they are well maintained. Compared to a 944 engine its like a Lexus V6 under the hood. You get the nicer door handles, no more elephant ears side mirrors. The 968 is just a real looker in my opinion. Because it was a $50,000 car brand new, not many are owned and driven by a bunch of clowns. I bet most have gotten serviced at the dealer.

I dunno. Were it me Id be on my way to a 968 unless I was in bind and needed the 944 to run until the wheels fell off. Its a car that you can feel like it wont abandon you on the side of the road. Will start up every morning, run like a top, and not have all the unintended bugaboos pop up. The routine stuff will still be there. But the non-routine stuff I think will be a few and far between.

It all depends on how much your free time is worth in a lot of this. If its not worth as least as much as the car, well, then Im out of suggestions.

Old 10-14-2005, 04:51 PM
Justitia
Advanced

I think your analysis is correct...I am a professional woman and my time is worth a lot but my profession is not that well paid ...we get paid more in prestige than in cash , so I have a bit of a financial bind.

So this is the strategy I am adopting. I am looking at 968's while pursuing to see what I can do minimally to keep my current car running. If I can get my 944 running OK, (and today is the first time I could feel that the shocks are really beginning to go), I will then prepare to arrange my finances to purchase a used 968 sometime this spring, summer or fall, but I am going to start looking now.

I have decided that I will start with replacing the fuel injectors with rebuilt ones. If that seems to solve the hesitation problem, then I will replace the shcoks front and back...and hope that will hold me for the next several months unitli I find a new (used) Prosche to buy.

So I am going to follow up on the Cignatta recommendation...but i am still open to other suggestions for mechanincs around here.

Originally Posted by UDPride
Im not convinced owning a well kept 968 is going to be the same maintenance expense as the car you are currently driving.

First a foremost, you would be jumping to a car thats a good 6-8yrs newer than what you are in now. Forget the engine for a moment. Stuff breaks when it gets old. Its called fatigue. All the wires and switches and transistors (do cars have transistors? Im just making this up as I go) and diodes and cables and everything else takes its toll just by living. Old age has a cost too. You can grow old gracefully but it doesnt mean you arent closer to death than the paperboy.

I get into this argument all the time, but to me, time is even more valuable than money. Just think of all the time and effort and frustration youve put into this car over the last few weeks and months. Running around to mechanics, getting opinions, correcting wrong opinions, getting third opinions, finding new mechanics, shuffling info from mechanic to mechanic, adjusting your life around when the car is and is not getting fixed, spending time on here telling everyone about the issues with the car.

I bet you have 80hrs into this easy. Without even a blink of an eye. You sound like a professional woman who knows you never jump over a dollar to save a dime. Lets see. At 80 "woman-hours" of time and effort (labor) just farting around with all of this, at say a paltry professional hourly wage equivalent of $20 (which aint much), thats $1600 in your own free time youve spent agonizing and aggravating.

You sound a lot like me. You do your best to listen to the advice of others about your car, but when it comes to doing it youself, DIY means driving it to the mechanic and saying "do whatever you gotta do." For a lot of folks on here, working on their cars if a passion a hobby. I have too many hobbies as it is. Working on my car is about last on the list of things I want to occupy myself with. Im a moron when it comes to undestanding directions and diagrams anyway and would kill my car trying to fix it.

My point is, you gotta draw the line on your own personal free time and sanity. Tell me one thing thats more important than your free discretionary time? I cant think of any. Its damn near priceless. So why flush so much of it down the toilet.

Cheapest is rarely least expensive.

I think a good one-owner 968 with a modest life would do more for you than you really think. Hell, pound for pound its just a 944 killer in so many ways. No disrespect to the 944. I like 944T but Id take a 968 over even a 944T if it was a real keeper. They are great cars. You are gonna have a car thats so much newer, nicer, more comfortable, airbags, safer, better suspension, power, more reliable, looks more modern, on and on.

Its a Porsche. Even the nicest ones need maintenance. Theres no getting around that. But Id been the passenger in a few 968s and the difference in comfort and power is like night and day. They feel like they drive like a dream. Those vario cam engines run like butter if they are well maintained. Compared to a 944 engine its like a Lexus V6 under the hood. You get the nicer door handles, no more elephant ears side mirrors. The 968 is just a real looker in my opinion. Because it was a $50,000 car brand new, not many are owned and driven by a bunch of clowns. I bet most have gotten serviced at the dealer.

I dunno. Were it me Id be on my way to a 968 unless I was in bind and needed the 944 to run until the wheels fell off. Its a car that you can feel like it wont abandon you on the side of the road. Will start up every morning, run like a top, and not have all the unintended bugaboos pop up. The routine stuff will still be there. But the non-routine stuff I think will be a few and far between.

It all depends on how much your free time is worth in a lot of this. If its not worth as least as much as the car, well, then Im out of suggestions.

Old 01-02-2006, 10:34 PM
StoneGrey
Intermediate

Justitia,
I know Gregg - you're right, he's a great guy and knows his Porsches - he even races his 911 in the Porsche Club races, he usaully wins his class or comes in 2nd! = Good Driver. I own a 88 Turbo S with 188,000 miles, it's great and I do my own work, so it's a keeper. For you, I vote for the 968 also.
You'll be very comfortable/familar with it as the inside is the same as a 944.
Good Luck.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Justitia
Advanced

Originally Posted by StoneGrey
Justitia,
I know Gregg - you're right, he's a great guy and knows his Porsches - he even races his 911 in the Porsche Club races, he usaully wins his class or comes in 2nd! = Good Driver. I own a 88 Turbo S with 188,000 miles, it's great and I do my own work, so it's a keeper. For you, I vote for the 968 also.
You'll be very comfortable/familar with it as the inside is the same as a 944.
Good Luck.
Thank you for your affirmation about Gregg... I know it was hard for people here to believe that Gregg was someone who knew what he was doing... and that my bind was having to go through the dealer.

So here is an update. Other things in my life required that I put this matter on hold.

SO for the last 5 months I have been driving as minimally as possible, probably put on about 2000 miles. The power problem all but vanished.

It is time to get the belt tensioned after the camshaft was relaced in the fall. The shocks suck. And about 3 weeks ago the odometer broke.

So I have decided that for now... I will take it back to Gregg for him to do the adjustments necessary after the 1500-2000 miles driven after the crankshaft was installed. ANd I will bite the bullet on the shocks... he said he will try to get the manager of the dealer to agree to use after market parts and trim down on labor. He will also fix the odometer, either replacing it or sending it out to be fixed.

SO I am to get a quote. I was thinking about replacing the fuel injectors but Gregg said not to bother.. if the problem went away then it is not worth it for him to do it at dealer prices.

SO at the moment I have no time to look for a new car. I am just going to hope this one will sirvive with little trouble while my plate clears in other parts of my life so I can attend to this...
Old 03-10-2006, 04:04 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would say keep it too.
I had a lovely 944 Lux 86 model like your in silver. I had the car 9 years and would have kept it for ever if a freak accident hadn't of written it off. In fact although it was an insurance writeoff I would have repaired it had I not lost my job the same month.
The car runs like a dream so smooth and precise. They corner well and always feel safe and protective. They still have lovely lines and always look a million dollars to me.

I would say the value is only going to increase as it becomes a classic or historic vehicle.Parts are relatively cheap and lots of second hand parts on ebay etc

What else could you get that would give you half as much pleasure every day you drive it.

I think you need to make a concerted effort to find another mechanic locally. It doesn't necessarily need to be a Porsche trained one as long as he is a good engineer . There are lots of members here that could help you find someone I'm sure
Old 03-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Ethan
Rennlist Member

I have had expiriance with Cignatta and Ralph in Glyndon. I vote for Ralph. Great guy he will be the only guy to work on my car. Where are you in Baltimore?
Old 03-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Justitia
Advanced

Genady Soyker came highly recommended by several local people in the Porsche club.

I talked to Gregg who listed what I needed. The Porsche dealer is going to come up with a price quote but I also called Genady... he was much more friendly than last fall. If he beats out the dealer... I will probably go to him... He's closer to where I live and I have to start going to him anyway. Gregg can only convince the dealer to give me breaks for only so long. And even with those breaks the prices are still sky high. $95 for labor..

But it looks like I am going to put in about $1300... but if it keeps the car going for another year so I can have somebreathing room as to what I want to decide... that will be worth it.

Last edited by Justitia; 03-10-2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Justitia
Advanced

So I thought I would bump up this thread to tell the latest.

I am going with Genady... he is a great guy.... we finally seem to be communicating -- though it is clear he has a resentment about Gregg... he feels like I "idolize" Gregg... men! and their alpha male....

Anyway, as soon as the weather became very warm, like around the beginning June, the "intermittent" problem which has been gone since last fallstarted again. And was really bad. Every one has tried to diagnose it and concluded it is a fuel delivery problem that could be anywhere from fuel injectors to wiring problems.

So I brought it up to Genandy, which it had to go anyway for some minor things luike and oil change. As I was going into the hospital for sugery and woulf be out of commision for 2 weeks, hopefull this "mystery: problem would occur while he had it. Of course it didn't.

So he wants to wait until the car actually fails. But I don't think it will. I think it will just continue like this for years. He doesn't want to replace things because they will be so expensive.

He reconnected the oxygen sensor, since that made the problem worse, to see if that will induce the problem but still nothing happened while he had it.

So I am getting my car Monday and hopefully it will either happen there or it won't happen at all.... until I leave the shop.

Last edited by Justitia; 07-14-2006 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:00 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Well, good luck with your surgery. Hope that it all goes well with you and with your car as well.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Justitia
Advanced

Just bumping this thread b/c 3 years later -- I am back with Gregg as he was hired away by a new prosche dealership. Prices are high. Genady was a good mechanic but he was rough on the aesthtics having broken a visor clip and a few other things that I just paid to have repaired.

But I have strated a new thread seeking advice about the car. I have decided to let it go and look for another used 944.

I remembered this thread and that there was another modle recommended and it was the 968.

So I've asked on the other thread for advice where to look for them.

If you have some suggestions, if you would post them on the other thread -- I would appreciate it.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Justitia
Advanced

Just bumping this thread b/c 3 years later -- I am back with Gregg as he was hired away by a new Porsche dealership. Prices are high. Genady was a good mechanic but he was rough on the aesthetics having broken a visor clip and a few other things that I just paid to have repaired.

But I have started a new thread seeking advice about the car. I have decided to let it go and look for another used 944.

I remembered this thread and that there was another model recommended and it was the 968.

So I've asked on the other thread for advice where to look for them.

If you have some suggestions, if you would post them on the other thread -- I would appreciate it.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:39 PM
DANNiE
Instructor

If you find it expensive to have your 944 fixed you will find that having your 968 even more costly... It is a much rarer car and the parts for the variocam motor are a bit pricey too...

The 944 is plentiful in used parts and in aftermarket parts... The 968 is tuff to come by and so are the parts... God forbid you have a fender bender you will be hunting and spending an arm and a leg to get body panels...

It seems to me that your only real problem is finding a good knowledgeable affordable mechanic to do the work you need done...

If anything it sounds like your Fuel Pump is/was going bad...

Im my opinion the 968 has a few nice updates and a few ugly ones; I like the tail ights and Bumpers but dislike the Round pop up head lights... Just my 2 cents... Ive seen very few low mileage 968s even one with 100K miles on it sells for 10K and you will still as the saying goes be "buying someone elses problems" so all in all you have to weigh up the pros and cons of "moving up" to a 968 only because if you find it hard to pay and maintain a 944 then a 968 is not for you...

Just my opinion...
Old 10-04-2009, 10:18 PM
1985porsche944
Intermediate

If I was the original owner of the car in this discussion I would keep it because you know all the history of the car from day one. Also you have I'm sure some sort of bond with the car and would regret selling it. Also that in some way you have bragging rights to the fact that you are the original owner since most of these cars have traded hands many times. And finally if you et another car you probably still be spending the money either making a car payment or fixing another used car. So in the end just keep the car and enjoy it.

Quick Reply: Should I let go of my 944?