Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 fest 2006- any takers???

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 04:04 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

andy we have that house in beetaviaaaa
Old 09-24-2005, 04:05 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

FWIW, I'm sure it IS time to start charging for the event. I probably clung to that "free admission" ideal a bit too long. In the past the location ($1500) and the tent ($500+) were huge expenditures. If ya got rid of those costs, all of a sudden it could be feasable to put on a great show for a reasonable entry fee. I'm not saying I'd do it, but whoever does probably could accomplish it without taking a big hit.

Am I the 'Gator Master' or 'Master Gator'?
Old 09-24-2005, 06:43 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Id love to come, id be happy to pay an entrance fee.

Hopefully the next one is the weekend prior to the one that the 2005 event happened on, that way I can come.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:21 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys,
I'll see what I can dig up for a location. I wouldn't mind hosting it, but I know for sure we'd have the cops out. My neighbors (even thou we own 13acres) don't like loud roudy ppl. No promises, but i'll see what I can come up with.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:58 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dan, I know we discussed the idea of having a west coast version of this a while back and I'm still willing to do it, perhaps coupled with a nice coastal drive and ending up with a camping event at Laguna Seca or one of the other tracks out here. The problems were (1) cost, (2) accommodations and (3) posting the necessary bond to use the track for an event. Laguna Seca requires a $5M insurance policy to run on their track and the fee for a weekend day in the summer alone is about $10K. There's simply no way to do anything like that without charging some kind of admission. Now if you got 100 944 guys to pony up $200 a head, it could be done, but is this a realistic expectation on top of fuel costs to get everyone here, lodging, food, etc? I don't think so and I think it undermines the intent of just having a fun GTG with a bunch of 944-specific vendors, videos, memoribilia, etc.

I am certain that either a more centralized location (than Ohio) or perhaps a dual-location event (one for east coasters, one for west coasters) would enhance and greatly benefit the event. There are dozens of people on the west coast alone that would do an event of this type - but none of them are going to drive to Ohio at personal expense of hundreds of dollars and blow two weeks' vacation to enjoy 3 or 4 days with the rest being spent on the road living out of crappy hotels. Denver is a good potential location like Geoff mentioned. . . Good camping in the summer months too.

I'm open to helping out with the west coast contingent if anyone cares - I can do some digging and make some phone calls or whatever. I certainly wouldn't mind doing the foot work to make something like this happen out here, but there's no way I'm putting up thousands of dollars of my own money to do it - sorry guys, I just ain't that well-off. I'd certainly do it "unpaid", but to do it as something where I'm funding the entire event? Don't think so. No offense. If I hit the Lotto, that would change.

Look at what the 928 guys do with Sharktoberfest as a precedent - it's a good idea. If we can get some firm numbers of people that would be interested and committed to doing it, hotels and other venues would be more open to giving us better rates and use of their facilities. It's a bit of a Catch-22 - you need people to commit to help get the facilities, but you need to know what facilities you're going to use in order to get people interested enough to commit.

Anyway, just my usual ramblings and $0.02 on the matter as someone that's considered trying to get something similar. I think the interest is there; it's just a question of figuring out the most equitable way of getting that interest together.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:07 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

i say cahrge us. taht pizza was free and too damn good. Hell i dont mind payin like 50 bux to get in. that pizza alone was worth it. If people dont want to pay like 20-50 dollars to go to 944 fest then they need to be driving hondas.

Its like you guys always tell me, if you cant afford ownership, get a new car. If you cant pay 50 bux then you cant afford to fix even the biggest piece of crap on our cars. I think its about time for me to pay like 50 bux for a ne w keyboard. This one sucks.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:17 AM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 14 Posts

mmmm, 944fest pizza....
Old 09-25-2005, 09:26 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

POP, Yep, I agree on lots of your points. A track venue, while spectacular, is unrealistic for several reasons including money, alcohol, and some other ones I can't think of.

The location is always an issue for some, unfortunately it can't be near everyone. I googled the "Population Center of the USA" and came up in Indiana, which is the state next door so I think we're doing pretty good in that department. If Denver hosted it I'm sure all of the East coasters would write it off. The PCA Parade has it best I suppose, they travel around and spread the wealth.

It is a strange scenario when I start thinking about letting other folks host 944Fests elsewhere. It is just a name and I don't have a patent or copyright or anything, but I do have the website (and a reputation). There is a ton of car shows and GTG's on your sunny coast, how would a sister Fest be any different from what they have out there already? Most I chatted with did not want to exclude the mid and rear engine variants at their shows. I don't blame them for that, the more the merrier (usually) but then it becomes a PorscheFest, and I think somebody is already doing one of those. As a matter of fact, I'd bet hundreds of shows are Porsche specific.

In the eyes of us Ohio folks, it just wouldn't be THE 944fest without the core group who'd been there for a few years, and a move to another region would be very much wiping the slate clean. Thanks for your request to move it toward you, I take it as a compliment that you'd like to attend.

Who knows what the future brings..
Old 09-25-2005, 06:21 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Dan, you have a pm.

Regards,
Old 09-25-2005, 10:07 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Dan we will be talking in the near future but I already have some information that is on the positive side.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:51 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I know where I may be able to get my hands on 300 acres near Jackson, MI. Lemme know and I'll start working on it.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:54 AM
Scott M.
Rest in Peace
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about simultaneous 944 events all over the country on the same day?? Jeff's on the left coast, DanP's in the midwest, someone else (Travis maybe..hehe) in the deep south...
6 or 7 years ago when I was big into 951's I was planning a turbo get together in DC. Was going to call it Boost-a-palooza. I had planned on setting it up 928 Frenzy style, having a tuner shop host it. But the shops manager left and the plans took a dump.

Oh, and DanP, AFA your reputation...you're still DA MAN in my book. to you.

Gator!!
Old 01-12-2006, 05:44 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MichelleJD
I know where I may be able to get my hands on 300 acres near Jackson, MI. Lemme know and I'll start working on it.
1hr 15 min from me, that would be awesome

digging up an old thread a bit i suppose, just wanted to know if anyone has heard anything more on this.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:40 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Scott M.]How about simultaneous 944 events all over the country on the same day?? Jeff's on the left coast, DanP's in the midwest, someone else (Travis maybe..hehe) in the deep south...

Unfortunately, Travis is unavailable to host a deep south fest. He is grand marshall of the unientry one rental car Midwest Fest nightime parade, which repeats the same circular parade route over and over at break-neck speeds! Then again, there was that jaunt up Mount Gator!
Old 01-12-2006, 06:41 PM
daniel951
Race Car

i wish ohio was closer but either way i will try making it even if i fly

Quick Reply: 944 fest 2006- any takers???