Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine breather?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 12:54 AM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine breather?

Ok guys and gals

Can anyone tell me where the breather in on these engines? It MUST be plugged on my car *(or these cars must not have one)....

here's the story: When we replaced the clutch we replaced the rear main seal (it seemed to be the only oil leak). A few months later we did the timing belts and found that the front seals had started leaking since last time we'd looked under the covers. Few weeks later and the cam housing starts leaking (once again this seemed to be the only oil leak). No kiddin....TWO DAYS later the oil pan starts leaking. (Note...every time we found an oil leak we would clean off the engine and look for other leaks before ordering gaskets)

I already have the pan gasket but I don't really have the time to work on the car while I'm at college. Why am I chasing the freaking oil leak..and, damn it, the head gasket better not start leaking right after the oil pan leak is fixed
Old 09-19-2005, 01:12 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at the tube where you fill w/ oil. That housing has a vaccum line connected to the top of it. The housing is all empty, so the only possible plug would be in that vaccum line, although I've never heard of that being plugged. Not sure if that's your problem or not.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:40 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is very possible that the vaccum line is clogged. There must be some sort of crankcase breather, or PCV (positive crankcase venting) system in the car, right? Did they have air/oil separators too, or did they just vent it all to the atmosphere? It is very common for cars PCV systems to become clogged, although, it is true that there don't seem to be many cases of it with these cars. I know with my volvo recently, i had to use a drill to get through the blockages, gasoline and closehangers were not enough!
Old 09-19-2005, 11:55 AM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These engines do not have a "breather" but they do have a system that scavenges combustion blow-by.

The Oil Filler/Mist Seperator has a hose that connects to the intake J boot. When you open the throttle the air flow into the intake creates a partial vacuum. This partial vacuum is what scavenges blow by. A common problem with this system is the O-Rings that seal the Oil Filler to the block. When these O-Rings start to leak, excess oil is drawn into the intake. Leaking O-Rings can also look like the oil pan gasket is leaking.

One other thing: Did you change from either a synthetic to a "dino" oil, or vice versa?
Old 09-19-2005, 04:45 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Charlotte944:

I think that's gonna be the problem.. I had the intake "J" boot off yesterday and there did seem to be a lot of oil in there. I think these o-rings AND the oil pan gasket are leaking..interesting.

Noper, same oil for 5 years..

Thanks everyone...I'll look into it soon.

Quick Reply: engine breather?