Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Buffing out Microscratches...What's Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 02:07 PM
ljibis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a great random orbital buffer kit from Autopia. I think they still sell it.

For microscratches, I *think* the rule is to use the least abrasive polish that will remove the marring. For general, non-serious swirls and hazing in the clearcoat...the stuff the car will get regardless of how careful I am...I've had great luck with Einszett Lack Politur (Paint Polish) on a Sonus green perfecting pad using my Porter Cable 7424. These products together give a really great shine, and take out most of the hazing I've had on either a black Nissan Maxima, a red 944, or a seal gray Audi A6.

More serious hazing and marring has responded well to the Einszett Ultra Paint Polish and the Sonus orange compounding pad. You always follow the orange with the green.

I'm not a professional detailer, so I use the PC 7424. It's a random orbital buffer, so the risk of buring the paint is really low. I have been told by a few body men that the variable speed rotary buffers take a lot of practice to use correctly, and that the risk of doing more harm than good with one is very high.

Good luck with whatever you do...
Old 09-15-2005, 05:04 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Griots paint prep will strip off wax.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:32 PM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sh944
Eniac,

Thanks for the tip on the dishsoap. I wasn't suggesting that folks use it every time, but just as a way to strip the old wax to prep it for detailing it, which was a tip I had been given by a professional detailer. Do you have a recommendation for stripping the old wax off cars? I am always looking for tips from the pros!

Regards,
Just now saw your question, lol. Actually another household chemical works great and doesn't harm the paint. Vinegar. 3 or 4 cups mixed with the bucket of car soap works great to strip wax.

Quick Reply: Electric Buffing out Microscratches...What's Needed?