Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible fuel leak from rail / injectors

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 02:08 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Possible fuel leak from rail / injectors

Not 100% sure what this is...does this look like fuel that may have dried up on the valve cover possibly? Nothing from what i could tell is leaking, but that dosent mean i just didnt overlook it.

The area isnt really wet, mostly just discolored. Rubbing my finger against it smears it somewhat.

Ill pull that black cover off later today when i get a chance...hopefeully i can squeeze it out from under the fuel lines. I was going to have the injectors cleaned and flow tested sometime soon, looks like its going to be sometime sooner now.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:21 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

if you were leaking fuel, you would definetly smell it, and from that angle, it looks like the fuel (which is pretty well pressurized by that point in the fuel rail) would be shooting out and over onto your exhaust manifold. i suggest running the car while looking at it, you would be able to see a pinhole leak, and believe me, even a pinhole leak will SQUIRT, i had a faulty fuel rail on my '84, and it was a very noticeable smell (these cars like to let you know what's happening in the engine bay just with smells). clean off that area, and let the motor run, take it through the rpm range (play with the throttle with your hand while you're looking at the suspicious area), and then if it is leaking, start pulling fuel rails and injectors.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:30 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a guess, but if it would smear I think it isn't gas. I would expect gas to dry up fairly quickly, whereas oil would be smearable for a while.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:36 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Epic, that was my thought. I cant possibly see how oil got over there however...unless maybe one of those hex bolts was working loose? I really dont know...will do as 951Obsession suggested later with cleaning the area up and reving the engine a little.

And that is completley true, you can usually smell something wrong before eye balling it. I was actually poking around under the hood to smell for antifreeze to see if my waterpump was still leaking. I changed it a few weeks ago, leaked a little even after resitting it with hylamar sealant. Drove it for about 15 miles and its sinced stop. And i didnt smell the distinct fuel smell...just that distinct "oil/grease/" smell from under the hood. They should make that into some type of body spray.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:35 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

I have a fuel rail from my 968 if interested...

Jason
Old 09-08-2005, 03:36 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Actually, it also comes with the injectors, too.

Jason
Old 09-08-2005, 05:29 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you check the torque of those camshaft housing caps? i believe thet are 30Nm or so. I remember removing some caps and the next day it left a stain just like that.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:41 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see anything. Where exactly is the stain?
Old 09-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Hussam, i will be checking this tomorrow night when i get the car home, i have no tools with me at school. Hah, who knows maybe that oil / grease smell i was getting is because oil is leaking out from those caps..

Manning, its a bit tough to see, but if you look at the area of the valve cover with the firing order printed on it in the 2nd picture, then look at the side portion of the cover (the portion that would be the side, if you laid the valve cover with PORSCHE facing upwards) you can see its a bit discolored in the picture.

Thank you all for the suggestions.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:02 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

it looks like you might have leaked at one time, but the stain looks a bit grimey. not like fuel.

BTW-Where'd u get those bitchin fender flares????

and yes, that should be a cologne/perfume....imagine if your girlfriend smelled like a 944? oh man.....
Old 09-08-2005, 07:43 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Run your finger along the bottom of the rail, if it's leaking that much you'll feel the wet fuel. My 86 944 sprung a leak twice by the rear support. The fuel would pick dirt and stuff while dripping down and would then cause your discoloration!

Good luck!
Old 09-08-2005, 08:15 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

I wish those flares were mine..

I ran my finger along the bottom of the fuel rail just now, seems dry. But the car has sat a few days, ill start her up tomorrow and doube check before i leave for home.

I just realized i cant get that black cover off with the strut brace in place. Ill have to check this out tomorrow. So whats the general thought...does it look like a fuel deposit?
Old 09-08-2005, 09:34 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope. Fuel will leave a different residue, and you WILL smell it. It's not to far from the PS resevoir- possibly ATF?
a leaky rail/ injector will drip fuel when fully pressurized and/or car is running.

Beats me Jon. looks like something spilled..
Old 09-08-2005, 11:19 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Manning, its a bit tough to see, but if you look at the area of the valve cover with the firing order printed on it in the 2nd picture, then look at the side portion of the cover (the portion that would be the side, if you laid the valve cover with PORSCHE facing upwards) you can see its a bit discolored in the picture.

Thank you all for the suggestions.
I see it now. It was the ***** old monitor I use at work.

Quick Reply: Possible fuel leak from rail / injectors