Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I love how these cars are so timeless

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 12:16 PM
ljibis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only people I don't get a thumbs up or "nod & smile" from are new Boxster owners

Seriously though, high school girls always notice it and give me a smile. I find it flattering. I got a lot of compliments and "what a cool/cute/fun car" comments from the Wayzata JV girls tennis team at their car wash a few weeks ago. I think the red color helps in that department, and the fact that they are all so used to boring SUV's.

People who know cars love 'em. They're getting to be more rare, so the nice ones always get noticed. I was at a fast food place in Granite Falls, MN Monday night, and some guys in a big diesel pickup hauling a beautiful(!!!) Dodge Challenger drag racing car were giving it a close inspection, handing out lots of compliments.

Little kids also seem to stare...on my drive back from South Dakota a little shaver in an Outback with his mom started at me, mouth wide open, as I passed them on the interstate. He looked to be about 6 or 7...probably never seen one before. I think back all those years to when I saw my first Porsche and know exactly how he feels
Old 09-07-2005, 12:34 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

They are timeless...and has been mentioned more than once....I get the man what year is that...it looks brand new! It never fails every time I have my window down, and somebody pulls up they give me (Choose your own):
What year
How fast have you gone/what does the speedo go up to
What kind of car
How much did that cost?

Always ends with.
It looks awesome
It does not look that old.

and for fun I tell them the miles on the engine which until recently was 200+

I did not get near as many compliments on my stone grey when I had it.

But the black on black and the red on black never fail!!...as well as eyes from the law
Old 09-07-2005, 12:36 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 944 and I don't get half as many compliments driving my 924s as I did when I drove my pops 944 for one day. The wider stance make it look a lot sexier. I still get compliments when girls sit in the 924s. They always say nice car after taking a ride in it. Rarely I will get people saying nice rx-7. Doesn't bother me too much considering it sounds like one when its reved to about 6,000-7,000 rpm.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:09 PM
89AZ944
Racer

My two friends were in the car at the time and they were surprised at the attention and looks it gets.
Silverbullet-

How did you fit two friends in the car??????

J/K.........
Old 09-07-2005, 04:15 PM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 14 Posts

I haven't gotten any random comments in a while. I think it was about seven months ago when I was installing an amp in the parking lot outside my dorms. Some girl came up saying she loved my 944 and that it was always her favorite car. It's always nice to have someone come up at a gas station or have kids yell nice car or something. On the downside I've also been called a "bastard" and a "Rich Dick" for driving a "porsch".
Old 09-07-2005, 04:17 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pearldrum944
On the downside I've also been called a "bastard" and a "Rich Dick" for driving a "porsch".
To which I am sure you replied: "Yeah, I guess it must suck being poor."
Old 09-07-2005, 04:22 PM
silverbullet
Pro

89AZ944- "How did you fit two friends in the car????"

Easy for me...... a guy in the front and his fiance in the two back seats. Butt goes in one bucket, legs/feet in the other. Better her then me!
Old 09-07-2005, 04:46 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 89AZ944
How did you fit two friends in the car??????
The same way a 350z is a 3 seater and a 944 Turbo holds 5.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:11 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Originally Posted by TD in DC
To which I am sure you replied: "Yeah, I guess it must suck being poor."
It really does...
Old 09-08-2005, 09:08 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get bugged constantly when I drive my shiny red 951 through the city...people just stare it down as it goes by as if it were a 100,000 dollar exotic car. Nothing like glaring red paint with a Porsche emblem on the hood and TURBO badge on the back.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:18 PM
SBeach
Track Day

One of the latest remarks I fielded:

"Jake Ryan called, he wants his car back"

Anyone who saw the movie "16 candles" will know what that means. Yes, the cars are timeless in their styling. I haven't met a person yet who had any clue how old my car actually is
and most are shocked to hear it's 18 years old. Like was mentioned earlier I too get a lot of kids who stop and stare.
That feeling I got when I was a kid and saw a Porsche resulted in me eventually getting one. I still love to see them. On a recent family road trip I sounded more like my 9 year old than my 9 year old did. "Theres a Porsche... Theres a Porsche"
and then there was the invariable parking lot stop and stares
(We were on the Cape so there were plenty to gawk at).
I lost count of how many times my wife uttered "It's a car, who cares?"...
Old 09-12-2005, 12:54 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I guess it's a bit different in SF. I've never gotten any stares or compliments except from a couple friends who drive crap buckets. There are just too many 996s and boxsters in downtown, 911s in the avenues, impalas in my neighborhood, and ricers in the suburbs for anyone to care about a 944. Even after changing my car from Guard's Orange to Guard's Red (oxidation) and soaking all the rubber with tire shine, I still get nothing. It doesn't help that when I go out with my dad, people are drawn to his 928 like a magnet, even though his car is primer black all around.

Strangely, I've gotten a few stares and smiles with my mom's 944, but maybe that's because her name is on the plate, and a guy is driving, and it's San Francisco... wrong impression.

Out of the 10 944s and 924s I've seen in the last year here, I've only gotten a nod of acknowledgement from ONE guy. People here just don't care as much.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:54 PM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Three times in three years I've been asked if I wanted to sell it, 2 total strangers and one guy I know. "Nice car, if you ever want to sell it, let me know. I'm serious, I love these cars". A nice compliment but...no way in hell, buddy, git yer own!
Old 09-12-2005, 09:05 PM
m21sniper
Banned

"The only people I don't get a thumbs up or "nod & smile" from are new Boxster owners "

If a boxster owner ever gives me a thumbs up or wave in my 928S i think i shall have a heart attack...

What i like the best is when i'm rumbling down a narrow city street(Borla muzzled Porsche V-8s are anything but subtle), and every single kid on the entire block stops what they're doing and just gawks and starts pointing.

It's even cooler when their dads do it too.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:48 PM
...P
Instructor

Originally Posted by m21sniper
"The only people I don't get a thumbs up or "nod & smile" from are new Boxster owners "

If a boxster owner ever gives me a thumbs up or wave in my 928S i think i shall have a heart attack...

Snipe, they don't wave because they don't like being reminded they're inadequate, or they have their noses so high in the air they didn't notice you drive by, ha ha

P

Quick Reply: I love how these cars are so timeless