Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pic of the OG Racing Brake Ducts installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 09:58 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Pic of the OG Racing Brake Ducts installed

(Yep, I just posted these in another thread, but thought I would give them another thread with proper terminology for those using the search function later......or you can call me an )

I still have to install the tubing and backing plates, but that will happen after the billet Charley Arms and Elephant Racing caster blocks are installed later on this month. The car will be DE-only for next season, no autox events to speak of (long story, other interests/goals).
Attached Images     
Old 09-04-2005, 10:01 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lookin' pretty good. Let us know if you feel a difference at a DE before/after in regards to the braking performance and whatnot.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:19 PM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

How much were they?
Old 09-04-2005, 10:20 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Those look awesome Tifo. Do you mind mentioning how much they were? I assume you painted them yourself? Please do post more pics of the backside after you install the rest.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:31 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Hey, thanks for the kind words. I picked them up on Ebay from someone parting a 944S2 racecar. OG is apparently not currently manufacturing them due to some issues with their fiberglass production/guy. I'm not certain if they will be making them again, emails to OG will be in order if you want the kit.

The hose mounts to the back of the duct with a simple hose claim configuration, and runs to the fiberglass backing plate that replaces the brake shield. The rotors/calipers have to come off to install the backing plate. When I remove the spindles to replace with the modified ones (drilled to accept 19mm BJ pins) for the Charley Arms, the backing plates are going on then, and more pics will follow.

Oh, yes, I painted them myself. The car is due for a total respray, though, hopefully this winter.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:49 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To think she started out as a normal old 85.5 944 NA..

Looks great jeremy.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:54 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great Jeremy. Glad you decided to go with the ER caster blocks. Looking forward to seeing your car at a DE next year. I'm hoping to make the jump to a full cage this winter and stripped interior - have to see how the money holds out.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:11 PM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 159 Posts

those look great, very racy. the brake backing plates........those provide air through the central channel and out the cooling fins in a radial direction, correct? the plates i have (but didn't install) from Broadfoot simply cool the inner surface of the rotor, but i don't think that method gives good uniform cooling.

also, what kind of brake pads are you using and what type of driving? mostly DE now?
Old 09-05-2005, 01:07 AM
GREEN HELL
Track Day

Those look great!
Old 09-05-2005, 02:15 AM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 14 Posts

That gives such a "race" look (and function) to the car. Looks great! And wow, deep fuchs...
Old 09-05-2005, 07:15 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
To think she started out as a normal old 85.5 944 NA..

Looks great jeremy.
LOL, thanks! FYI, here is the site of the previous owner (Josh). It's interesting to see what the car used to look like:

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/strip/3502/

Looks great Jeremy. Glad you decided to go with the ER caster blocks. Looking forward to seeing your car at a DE next year. I'm hoping to make the jump to a full cage this winter and stripped interior - have to see how the money holds out.
Yes, thanks for the suggestion on those. It's amazing that I am upgrading things that were already "upgraded" in the past 2 year2 (like the 944 casters, to the 968 casters, now the Elephant units). It never seems to end. I plan on doing DE's only next year so I am certain we will run into each other. I do want to get up to your home track. Next year I am going to be doing some other things other than car stuff (say it isn't so! ) so I need to quit doing 25-30+ autox events and just do 5-6 quality DE events in the interest of time/quality.

those look great, very racy. the brake backing plates........those provide air through the central channel and out the cooling fins in a radial direction, correct? the plates i have (but didn't install) from Broadfoot simply cool the inner surface of the rotor, but i don't think that method gives good uniform cooling.
The backing plates ram the air right into the center of the rotor so that the air rushes out the cooling fins radially. I agree that is a superior method to just shooting air at the outer surface of the rotor (although that is still better than nothing). The car has S4 calipers with pagid intermediate pads, I have some pagid orange pads for events. The rotors are custom two-piece units.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:07 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Those look really good Jeremy, nicely done.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:40 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

How did you end up mounting the ducts to the car? And how/where did you cut through the bumper cover for the hose to go back to the brakes?

Actually, do you just have a write-up on the installation? I have similar units from AIR and will be mounting them soon (hopefully).

Lookin' great!
Old 09-05-2005, 11:50 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

When you get a spare minute, post some pics of the ducts from underneath, I'm looking to steal some ideas

Looks good, I'm glad the medication is kicking in and you have gotten rid of those really strange avatars
Old 09-06-2005, 12:15 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Nice!

Definately give it a thumbs up!

-Z.

PS: Have you considered a 951 4-piston brake upgrade? (Yeah, you'll need a 951 front suspension, but think of all that braking power!)

Quick Reply: Pic of the OG Racing Brake Ducts installed