Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 11:34 PM
rolf morrow
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight upgrade

what are some headlight upgrades?
i have seen the h4 kits on pelican parts,are they a standard
as far as upgrading from the older sealed beam headlights?
i am replacing the front end bumper cover on my 86 and might
as replace the two different sealed beams i have on there now.
any recommendations or pics?
thanks,
rolf
86 951
Old 09-01-2005, 11:54 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

iceshark here on the forum, you can see the details of his kit on www.gururacing.net
Old 09-02-2005, 12:02 AM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, iceshark's kit is amazing. We put a stock 944 next to a car with the iceshark kit and compared them at 944fest. The difference is incredible, if you have the money...that's the route to go.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:11 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rolf, You have a couple options. Boils down to lens selection and wiring.

For lenses you want to go Cibie or Hella Super, in E-Code specs. Neiither of which you can find in North America very easy. The Hella E-Code lenses you see on Pelican and elsewhere are not the Hella Super. The Hella Super is an upgrade to the regular Hella E-Code, which had some problems, and why they didn't discontinue the regular E-Code is a mystery to me. Makes it very confusing to customers.

However, I have 40 Cibies here and you can get them for $115 a pair. Then pick your bulbs, which will cost $10 to $18 each for top quality German made ones.

The next big deal is the wiring and how much voltage you are droping. Halogen bulb light output varies at the 3.4th power to voltage changes. If you are not a math wiz, that means drop your voltage at the bulb by 15%, you just lost 50% of light output. The other way around is eliminate 15% of the voltage drop and you double light. Guys that install my wiring harness and upgraded bulbs usually see 400 to 450% increase in light output.

Go to this thread and you can see pictures: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=headlights

I didn't have anything to do with those pictures other than selling MTM the FullBoat headlight package, so they are not some cooked up marketing scam. It is the real deal.

I'm making up some more harnesses for some 968 guys as well as folks in the UK. I think I'll have 9 left over so if you want one now is the time to do it.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:47 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pearldrum944
Yes, iceshark's kit is amazing. We put a stock 944 next to a car with the iceshark kit and compared them at 944fest. The difference is incredible, if you have the money...that's the route to go.
Between 944fest and the one last weekend in the UK, I'm pretty swamped with interest. Because both of you did real world light offs.

Ok, back to building harnesses.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:41 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IceShark
I'm making up some more harnesses for some 968 guys as well as folks in the UK. I think I'll have 9 left over so if you want one now is the time to do it.
Put me on that list please, or ill

Old 09-04-2005, 04:56 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Brian,

Send me an e-mail at wraydan@msn.com . Then I know where to find and keep track of you.

I'm working this whole Labor Day weekend to fill things out and take a vacation soon. Other than a cookout party on Monday afternoon.

You can get in, no problem, as I have 9 of the 25 spots left open. How long those will be open, who knows. They fit RHD cars just fine and the Brits have discovered me so they are going fast. Early night in winter and such, they want better lighting.

That is the situation.

Back to the coal mine of making cables.

Quick Reply: headlight upgrade