Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about airbag removal.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 09:35 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question about airbag removal.

If I remove my airbag from my 944 and I get into an accident can the insurance company not cover me because of it?
Old 08-29-2005, 09:45 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You would have to check with your particular insurance company, as different insurance companies have different policies.

Here in Vancouver, BC, if you remove your airbag, most of our insurance companies will not cover any injuries that may have been prevented if the airbag had been left in place, but will cover other injuries that would have happened regardless of an airbag being present. Otherwise it doesn't change the insurance policy at all.

You might also want to check your local motor vehicle laws and make sure it is legal for your to remove it.

Here in BC, a vehicle that was equipped with an airbag from the factory will not pass a provincial safety inspection if the airbag has been removed. (If a cop pulls you over, he can give you a VI ticket (vehicle inspection) and you have to get the car inspected and pass before you can renew your insurance.. and you have to get it done within a certain amount of time also.)

In Canada, there is also a NEW program that allows you to remove your factory installed airbag, and be completely legal, as long as you meet certain medical guidelines that prove that you are safer without the airbag.

One major thing to consider: If you cannot sit AT LEAST 24cm away from the airbag, you are at risk of being seriously injured by the airbag if & when it deploys. In Canada, this can qualify you to have your factory airbag removed legally.

The other thing to consider is that when selling the vehicle, you must re-install the airbag!!! Otherwise it might not be legal to sell the vehicle, even if you inform the next owner abotu it. Again, check your local laws as they vary everywhere!
Old 08-29-2005, 10:18 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In New York state it is perfectly legal to disable your airbag. In fact, it says clearly on the DMV website that they cannot fail you in the state safety inspection for a non-functional/missing airbag, even if the light is lit. No idea what happens vis a vis insurance, but so long as you are not claiming the airbag discount, I wouldn't think that you're guilty of any kind of fraud.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:28 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 123 Posts

Interesting point. My insurance is lower because of the airbags, I wonder if they'd decline to cover the car or raise the rate, or what, if you told them you disabled the airbag(s.)

-Joel.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:41 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sometimes it's easier to ask forgiveness than gaining permission.

Old 08-30-2005, 12:01 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bearone
sometimes it's easier to ask forgiveness than gaining permission.
Damn straight! & it's becoming more & more true as our NWO society progresses...

I can't answer the insuracnce question, but, I can say that it's not much of a discount- I save $5/premium on mine, but, that could vary state to state... Of course, many people here who know me, know my AB stance already... I don't care WHAT car we're talking about... if you want 'em gone then, YANK 'EM...!!! I don't like the expensive, weight-adding, explosives in my car, but, to each his own...
Old 08-30-2005, 12:02 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey fishey- if you DO pull the passenger one, would you try to document HOW you did it? I'm trying to pull mine & am having all kinds of probs getting to it- I've got everything apart- it's just a PITFA to get to everything...

thanks

Quick Reply: Question about airbag removal.