Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubber trim piece around steering wheel base....

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005 | 08:17 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Rubber trim piece around steering wheel base....

Anyone know how this is supposed to go on? It's the one that looks like an accordian type thing- it's under the plastic base cover- it's about an inch wide & wraps all the way around the base- it has two holes on the right side, for the cruise & wiper switches, &, one hole on the left side for the blinker switch- how do I get that thing on? I ripped my old one trying to stretch it off, bought a brand new one & don't want to rip this one. Do I have to remove one of the switches? Seems the blinker would be better, since, it's just one instread of two, but, how does this (or ANY of the three) come off??? Any help would be appreciated....

Thanks
Robby
Old 08-27-2005 | 11:46 PM
runnin' on empty
Advanced

Take a look at your old one. When I replaced mine, the single left side molded hole had a horizontial cut from the closest to the dash piece of the rubber into the hole at the bottom of the hole. Just a razor knide slice, then you may thread the two right side stalks through the rubber and the left one just flops through the cut.
Old 08-28-2005 | 02:24 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wait... you're saying to cut it....? The piece I'm looking at was never cut... that is a molded place from manufacturing... I just bought a brand new one & do NOT want to have to cut it... I'm not sure glue would even hold it... otherwise, I might have tried to glue the original....

How does one remove the switch (or switches, if the cruise & wiper side)....?
Old 08-28-2005 | 05:52 PM
runnin' on empty
Advanced

I ended up cutting mine (the second replacement) after I ripped the first replacement. I did not remove the turn signal stalk assembly from the complete assembly; the original one on the car was cut, so I tried once to do the 'big stretch' and failed; and thus resorted to the cut.
Old 08-29-2005 | 04:56 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

i see... did you glue it back together? How does it look? Also, how did your horn end up working? LAST the air-bags... Did you take any pics when you were removing it? How about AFTER? I'm still running around w/this POS car torn apart- the glove box is still out, etc... I'm going nuckinfuts trying to get that POS AB out!!! I honestly cannot even figure out which part is supposed to seeperate & be removed... I CANNOT BELIEVE that the panel will not remove- I don't see how the air-bag is supposed to even deploy... it would rip the panel open, which, would most-likely neccessitate a new dash... I WANTED to use that area to hold things, but, needed to be able to remove the panel... IF I could get it loose I might be able to figure something out, but, if not, when I buy a new dash, I'll go w/an early style... STILL not sure the glove box is even the same size... the glove box door is IDENTICAL, BUT, the early glovebox door backside is not interchangeable- the old will screw down onto the back of the AB door (they all line-up, etc...), but, the door will not close- it's less than 1/16" wider on each side... I want cupholders there badly & would even deal w/the factory ones if no one else will make them for me- I've posted on this numersou times... anyway... for now I'd settle for getting rid of that air bag- in all honesty, I'm CONSIDERING trying to DEPLOY the thing, just to get it out... Any input here? I know you went through this... is there some sort of special set of tools I need? I can't get to hardly ANY of those bolts.. How many ARE there that hold it in, &, is there anything else that attaches it?

Anyone else know anything about mounting this rubber trim piece? Is there a simple way to do this? What's the easiest way, short of cutting it? I mean, do I HAVE to remove the whole assembly & THEN remove the switches, OR, is there a siple way to just remove the turn signal???
Old 08-29-2005 | 12:24 PM
runnin' on empty
Advanced

Answering your questions in order: no, I did not glue it tension when re-assembled holds it together; and it is invisible unless you're a concours judge. Horn is working fine, no malfunctions to speak of.

The pssgr side air bag was a 'pita' to remove five bolts (four corners and center support). I believe that the dash air bag cover is bolted at the top (near the windshield) and is snapped in place at the bottom and sides. It had a 'splittable seam' in the middle that would pop open like a tube of Pillsbury biscuits if the airbag deployed. Cannot help you on the glovebox impass, I didn't do anything other than remove/replace after airbag was removed. Maybe you could cut out cupholder size circles on the glovebox door backing (inner frame) and then epoxy a a couple of auto store plastic cupholder inserts in the hole you cut.

I WOULD NOT DEPLOY THE AIRBAG (apologies for the shouting, but these 1st generation bags have a lot of energy and might do additional damage to the car and more importantly anyone in the vicinity. I did not use any special tools in removing the pssgr airbag, just a lot of patience on my back and many choice words!
Old 08-30-2005 | 07:54 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wish we were a little closer, geographically- you're full of creatve ideas... You're right about the panel- it does snap in place at the bottom & SOMETHING holds it on up top- I couldn't figure out what, but, I'm sort of surprised I didn't rip it out trying to pry it open up top... Glad I stopped... 5 bolts eh...? Hmmm... now I wonder if I'm even pulling the right ones- I've pulled at least three- two of them were the easiest to get too & it appears there are at least 3 more that are of the exact same size, type & shape... hmmm.... i'll have to re-investigate... I've been looking at the AB files you sent & STILL can't figure it out....

What happened to hte horn though? I thought it quite working for awhile there? Did something simple to get too come loose or something?

thanks man
Robby
Old 08-30-2005 | 12:01 PM
runnin' on empty
Advanced

Yes, the bolts are all the same size IIRC. The bottom two and the center support being the 'easiest' to remove.

The upper two at the airbag top corners were the bastards (that is the only word that describes them) to get at and remove; IIRC I had to tape the socket to the very small 'open mouth' socket wrench ( ~ 4"long) I have and even then could only achieve and inch or so of ratcheting. The 'open mouth' socket wrench takes screw bits in its 'mouth' (opening); I jammed a screw bit in backwards with tape and the hex portion facing the direction I needed and then stuck the socket on the hex bit; again jammed on with a piece of masking tape so it all stayed together long enough for me to use.

The horn is working fine, no problems to report of.

One thought on the airbag removal, take some time to shine a flashlight up in there and plan your 'attack'. I did this and it did help; I don't work real well sitting on my head on the floorboards and minimizing the time in that position with my feet up over the pssgr seat back was a priority.
Old 08-30-2005 | 12:47 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks a lot for the input... Yes, I know the upside-down-legs-over-the-seat-back position well... I thought you had said your horn quit working, right after you got me to the point of getting mine to work...? You hadn't looked into it at that time, but.... maybe I'm remembering someone else...?

Quick Reply: Rubber trim piece around steering wheel base....